iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Aerobic spin-top workout.  (Read 3801 times)

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
Aerobic spin-top workout.
« on: September 04, 2009, 03:22:38 AM »

Tonight I decided it was time to actually spin my tops instead of just chatting about them and I figured that it was time to get something new under my belt.  I figured a new regeneration trick would be a good thing to learn since I'm falling behind fast, so I decided to try my hand(s) at magnetic wire once again.  I've never gotten very far with this trick, in fact my brain usually can't make out how the trick actually works.  Poptop tried to give me hand with it at the SF contest and I was at least able to get the motion some what after his help and then it fell out of my brain again.  Tonight I was talking to David on Facebook and asked him fro some help.  After a brief description I was able to at least have a jumping off point once again.  A few minutes into my practice I did what I do best and jumped to something else.  I blame my ADOS -Attention Deficit Ooo Shiny.  Well, at least I moved on to another top trick..Apogee.  I've always wanted to master this trick but rarely make it past three times around....once I made it five times around.  Tonight something clicked and I made it seven times around twice and five times a number of times... and what's even better is I'm finally understanding what I'm doing right and wrong.   
Ok, time to go play my guitar ;)

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
Re: Aerobic spin-top workout.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 03:33:07 AM »

Firstly use a bearing top. I can do 20 Magnetic wire movements with a King-me Trompo bearing. The precession is so slow but you will learn the timming of the movements.

The full trick is more complex and is important in the first attempts you choose the length of the string comfortable to you. When the trick is dominated, the length of the string may vary a bit.

More difficult is the Mexican variation called "double satellite" in which you don't let fall the top when it goes in front of you but all the trick is doing at the same level, and the regen is forced at the sides of the trick and not at the down buy pumping as in magnetic wire.

The two tricks are amazing. Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 10:03:50 AM by ta0 »
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 10:10:52 AM »

Thanks Pulp for putting into words the difference between David's style of doing them and the Cometa version. The basic trick, according to Salvador, was invented by Gustavo and he named them "órbitas" = orbits. Salvador had planned to have a video of Gustavo doing them but, unfortunately, he has taken down all his spintop videos from youtube (in part because of some stupid comments about his dressing and surroundings by a poster from Spain). I hope he changes his mind.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 12:38:27 PM »

Even though I thought I was beginning to get the Mag. Wire, I can still only get a few rotations before I loose the top off the string.  I dont think I'm getting enough regen nor am I really as in control of the precession as I would like.  I love this trick and am still working on it, athough I must admit I took some time off through the summer.  I can get usually get several more rotations of apogee if I rotate my body like on David's video--fewer if I try to stay stationary.  I need to throw with other people more often, I think it really helps.
Erratic Wobbler

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 03:37:05 PM »

i'm glad i'm not the only one having trouble with this. i've been practicing with my BK and a shorter string so i can get the motion down. i did the same thing when learning rollercoaster and sewing machine (i gave up on joker choker...for now). so far only minimal success.

it's a shame about salvador taking down the videos. i was ready to learn some new tricks and was going to use his videos as a reference.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Vids?
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 11:10:49 AM »

Perhaps Ta0 might ask Salvador if he could host the videos here?  It would be great to have them as a resource for top spinners.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 02:20:21 PM »

I re-read the title of this thread and just thought I would mention that I'm all for aerobic spin-top workouts.  I'm looking for more and more ways to get some exercise while throwing tops.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 02:38:44 PM »

Start working on Apogee then, it's a great workout, but expect to get dizzier as you progress ;)