iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: book on tops  (Read 2735 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
book on tops
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:08:53 AM »

hi all
my friend Ludo has just purchased this book and asked me what I thought
it is
Spinning Tops by Larry Kettelkamp
reviewed on TA0's web site in the "papyrus section"

it covers tops play ,physics , a bit of history , and different types of tops plus diabolo and yoyo
the lettering is quite big and it's full of hand made drawings which , if not really artistic , give a very sound a very friendly and informative illustration of what is said

i'd recommend it for your personal library , some pages could be photocopied and made bigger for an exhibit or a workshop

Ludo also lent me a book in german "kreisel" by Renée Holler
it dated back 98 and is extremely well done : a wide section on gasing with photos , a tribute to  Monsieur Malafosse in the introduction etc...

i'll scan the cover for TA0's website and show a few pages

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: book on tops
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 12:26:47 PM »

Ludo also lent me a book in german "kreisel" by Renée Holler
it dated back 98 and is extremely well done : a wide section on gasing with photos , a tribute to  Monsieur Malafosse in the introduction etc...
Great! I once saw the cover of that book and I tried hard to find one but couldn't. I didn't know anything else about it.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 10:45:39 AM »

I found a copy for $75 plus shipping from Germany, but that is quite a bit for a paperback. Can you post those pictures, Jim?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:31:40 PM »

Well, I finally got it. It is indeed a nice book (although it cannot be compared to Lourens') and I would recommend it to any collector, if they can find it.  Even though I cannot (yet) read German the great quantity of photos (B&W) and drawings is enough to enjoy it. From the photo acknowledgments, it is clear that it is strongly based on the collection of a certain Tony Halliday, also from Munich. Even though it starts with the tribute to Malafosse, there are no photograph credited to him. On the other hand, the photographs of giant Malaysian gasings were taken by the author. Those are some of my favorites, as they document in detail the creation of one of those tops (for example, there are photos showing the pouring of the molten tin). The book has a little of everything: starts with the physics, shows how to throw it, rules of games, instructions for homemade versions of diverse tops, historic and ethnic variations from around the world, etc.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:33:17 PM by ta0 »