iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Apex String!  (Read 16087 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Apex String!
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »

Apex is sending a bundle of string to distribute at Nats so people can try it out and have fun. Thanks a lot Alex!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 01:49:32 PM »

That is so cool.  Where else could you have such great friends like this!  People who aren't a part of this forum have no idea what they are missing.

Thanks, Apex!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 02:42:29 PM »

I think you'll get a good response.  Thanks Alex you're one  8) dude.

Apex

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 03:31:36 PM »

I didn't have very many lefties to put in the bundle but there should be 6 or 7 there should be plenty of righty string though.
Enjoy and let me know how it works out for you.
Alex

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 01:33:55 AM »

Thanks for the string Apex, great stuff, and I love the colors.   Jorge also hooked me up with a left handed string for one of my lefty kids whos string keeps coming undone. This little second grader was totally stoked about his fancy new string, and after a minor string shortening, he was happily showing off his stuff.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2010, 04:20:34 AM »

I love those stories!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010, 12:21:06 PM »

There's a pattern that Apex does that I really like; of the three twists, one is all black, one is all yellow, the one in the middle is black white and yellow.  The effect is the black and the yellow "T" into the middle twist.   I know how I would do it, but it would be a pain in the arse.  I'm sure Apex has a better method.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 05:16:40 PM »

Yeah, even Neff wanted Apex string at nats. I've got some more (right and left handed) to distribute. Just write to me.

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2010, 11:55:46 AM »

Yeah, even Neff wanted Apex string at nats. I've got some more (right and left handed) to distribute. Just write to me.

Just noticed your note.
I was about to send a message to Apex about getting some string
but I'll go ahead and send you a PM if you happen to have some extra string to distribute ta0. I also like the string okay that came with the Salvador custom point kit. The string is the thickness of a R-C string but longer so that it adds more traction so that it doesn't slip off the Spintastics Grande Trompo when toss/boomerang. But I also had difficulties of string slipping off R-C as well. I think one key to remember is to make sure to wrap the string oh so tight around spin top so that it doesn't slip off while toss/boomerang.
Looking forward to trying out some Apex string though.
My R-C strings that I've been using are really starting to wear out. I've snapped a couple of them. I've been using string from about ten years ago and you can clean string just oh so much. So yes, Looking forward to trying out some Apex string...
I happen to use the same string for my R-C mod with Spintastics point and my Spintastics Grande Trompo... 
and even though I might be left handed, I spin tops right handed.   ???
So, I would like some right handed Apex string.

okay.......................................................

later........................................................

Respectfully Sincere,
_Mark Magyar

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2010, 09:01:39 PM »

What an education!!!!  I am a lefty and have been using the wrong string for about 50 years. >:(  Would love to try some lefty string. ;D
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2010, 10:06:09 AM »

I prepared 4 new envelopes with Apex string that are going out today. I don't have any more righty string but I still have lefty string for one more person: PM me if you want it.

Please, remember that Alex would like to hear any feedback you got. He also accepts contributions to his string making efforts:
If you like what you get and you want to give me money then you can paypal me, or send me money through the mail or stop by and we can hang out or whatever.  If you don't have money don't worry about it send me a post card or stickers or bearing king bearing tips or a bar of gold.  I don't care.  I just ask that you do something.  If you hate the string let me know why.  If you love it and want more let me know and we can work something out . . . Any money made from this will keep me and Chris O'Neil making string.  If I can't afford to do this I will stop and pm you back and let you know I can't do it anymore.

Apex

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2010, 05:55:57 PM »

Wow,  I have been working around the clock for the last 2 weeks so I am just seeing everything from after Nationals.

SpinQueen how is the lefty string working out for your lefty kid?  Does it make a difference for him?

Neff you really should see me making string in my house. I live in a shotgun style house so I have three rooms with doorways that all line up.  I tie off to binder clips in the kitchen run the string through the living room and into my bedroom.  I started making string plying it the way you showed in your video but I couldn't bring myself to drag my drill across the hardwood floors in my living room.  I am using pretty standard three ply rope making techniques to make my string so getting the design you like is just a matter of twisting the third ply with the three colors.  The yellow and black is one of my favorites.

ta0, Thank you for distributing the string I sent you.  I am glad you got a good response at nats.

If anyone has any comments about the string I would love to hear it.  I have had a couple request for a little thicker string so I am working on that when I get the time.
And if anyone would like to have some string send me a PM, like ta0 said I will take contributions but for the most part I am just doing this for fun.

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 01:37:18 PM »

Thank you to ta0 for sending the string and thank you to Apex for making the string.
I've been spinning with the tiger string for now. Haven't tried the purple and black string yet. But I'm really liking the tiger string. I have my string length 70" approx. which is around the same length of Spintastics string. It took me a short time to get use to the length and feel of the string but really on the first throw of  the string I was doing all different regenerations. Roller-Coasters, Drumbeat, SewingMachine, Joker Choker… How the string is twined it has a better grip when doing regenerations. When doing wirewalkers there's also a slight different feel. I can feel but also hear the top going over every twist of the string… But the string handles wirewalkers exceptionally well. When doing other string tricks like MGR/Crazy 8's, Blizzard/Whirlwinds, Corkscrew/Serpent/ Spiral slides, Maypole/Tetherball, The top seems to spin and stay on the string better allowing me to do a few extra rotations. With the length and flexibility of the string I was able to accomplish a few extra string tricks. Bondage and Necklace with an extra wrap around the arm…
So all in over all, a very flexible string to do tricks with.
I'm really liking the Apex string.
Well, this is my experience and opinion anyway with the string.
Apex string.
A string at least worth trying out if you haven't done so already.

I would like to have a few extra Apex strings in time…

One thing, After using the string for awhile I already had to clean the string because I get oil residue on the string from my hands easily making it hard for the string to slide down my hand when doing regeneration tricks. So I guess it's fine to clean the string…

And now I'm still using the same string for my Spintastics Grande Trompo with Salvador custom point and my Rip~Cord mod with Salvador custom point. I even tried the Apex string with the regular Spintastics flat head point (for those who might still use them) but for me the string tends to hang up on the flat head point when doing regenerations allowing the top to pop off the string…

Happy Spinning,
_Mark Magyar

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 04:16:57 PM »

I've been spinning with the tiger string for now. Haven't tried the purple and black string yet.
Tried the purple and black string.
felt about the same as the tiger string. -_-