iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Just back  (Read 8759 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Just back
« on: August 16, 2009, 05:31:45 PM »

Wow!, what can I say . . . I am walking on clouds with the fixed tip title. Even though my bearing freestyle went missing (first time I ran out of "recalled" tricks and not time) I was so happy about the fixed tip freestyle that I did not care! So many memories and material for future postings   :D

I am too tired for a shoutout but here are some highlights:

1. Light bulb battle! (flying glass: stupid and crazy, but fun!) Dazzling Dave Shulte won (he has a killer instinct for these things.) I have video.
2. New people excited about spintops due to the Yoyofactory tops. I saw many people with them.
3. New prototype of the Duncan metal bearing king with one-way bearing (Thursday Kyle received components to build like five of them).  This time it seems serious that Duncan will go into production, although there is probably going to be one more prototype round.
4. In fact, Felix used one of those Duncan prototypes in his bearing freestyle. However, the talk among the judges is that next time those will have to be used on the fixed-tip freestyle.
5. For a while it seemed we were going to have more people competing, specially on bearing. Miguel was planning to compete on both divisions, but he overslept after a disappointment with his 2nd place in 5A. Tyler Severance came for a little while to the breakout to show some new crazy tricks with the Acrobat.
6- Alan received by express mail the corkscrew trophy from Jon (thanks!) and we had a fun competition after the ladder. I broke the old record with 11 wraps: yeah! I have video.
7- There were a some very enthusiastic kids throwing tops and very deserving of the Schreiber prizes Mike distributed (Mike will have to give you the details).
8- More amazing tops by Eric. Also customized tips for the yoyofactory tops.
9 - Mike (a category by himself) The stilts freestyle is for the ages!
10 - The hotel atmosphere was even crazier than usual, with the yo-yo convention besides the "professional celebrity tribute artist" convention. On top of that, a convention of blind people!

I have video of every event and lots of pictures. I also have all the scores.

Much more later! I wished you all had been there.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 06:38:59 PM by ta0 »

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
Re: Just back
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 06:12:59 PM »

Thanks for the lowdown, can't wait to get more details and see photos/videos when you are good and rested.  Congrats on your fixed tipped title Jorge. xoxo

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 07:25:27 PM »

I'm safely at home as well. Glad to hear you made it back safely. My congratulations to those who won and to those who competed. My first worlds were so exciting that the whole time on the drive back home I was planning out how to attend next year. Thanks to all the top spinners for showing me a good time and taking me under your wing. I will be practicing this year and hopefully I will be good enough to attempt the ladder next year.

Cheers!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 09:19:34 PM »

This is Dawn, typing for Mike...he can't wait to get out of Georgia and chat with everyone soon!

Congratulations Jorge!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

knewsthe1

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 09:35:01 PM »

hey jorge and mike this is kevin thanks for all ur help at worlds
today i landed the upside down top trick twice (sorry i dont know the real name for the trick)
PARA-MOUNT
Revolutionizing spintop forever

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 09:40:55 PM »

Congrats Jorge!

Thanks much for the recap--Hope to make it next year.

I hope to hear more about the custom tips and see Tylers crazy new tricks!
Erratic Wobbler

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 10:01:42 PM »

Hey Poptop, you going to make it to Nats this October?

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 10:24:39 PM »

I also made it home just in time to do a gig at the new National Convention Center for the Subway convention celebrating 30,000 shops.  Hey, it pays the bills.  I had a terrific time at Worlds!  Rooming with Mike was a hoot ... glad we could do it.  Mike hope you have a uneventful drive home.  Eric fixed my colorwood so that I can switch it to fixed tip.  And then Alan explained how I need to do regens better.  The contest was very close for us judges, well done to all.  Again I missed the corkscrew contest, was busy with AYYA world records.  Glad Jorge was able to raise the bar again.  Can't wait for him to post the picture from the Greek restaurant where we had dinner on Saturday (she was a good sport).  It is getting tired out so more later.  Sorry for those of you that had to miss it, looking forward to next time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 11:14:08 PM »

Thanks for the dinner, Dick: those gyros were great. The unexpected show was a bonus.

Agentsac: it was super to hang out with you. Really tops!  8) And thank your wife for  being the camerawoman during the light bulb battle. I don't know if the event will happen again, but it will become legend and needed to be recorded for posterity.

Dawn: Mike would probably be the World Bearing Spintop champion if those new prototype tops hadn't arrived, or if we had already started using the likely rules for next year. Congratulations to both of you!

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 12:58:06 AM »

Ta0, I hope you got a shot of Elvis with Figaro ;)  You need to include all of your non spin-top players posing with tops along with other interesting spin-top related photos under Visions/Top Shots at Ta0.com.  Takeshi is lonely.  While you're at it, you can add to the Top Meetings section by including other group shots like the corkscrew photo from last year and similar group photos.  Come on, get to it ;)))))

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 03:42:23 AM »

hi jorge hi all !
thanks for the live report ! i could picture almost every moment (except for the light bulb thingy ;--))
i'm glad you won, and it's only fair after your heavy training in europe, and your leading role in the spintop community
i was also super happy to hear that you did the corkscrew contest and that jon had taken the time to get it to orlando on time
as a side effect it proves that our small "planet" is run with passion and friendship , that feels good !

well now , take the time to rest and explain to your wife what you where doing with this belly-dancer cutie ;D ;D
or do you want to talk about chico first ?? :-* :-*

bravo mike felix tom alan dick and all those i can't think of the name right now

salut!

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 09:40:16 AM »

Whew!!!  I made it back and am I happy to sit down to a computer and know that I don't have to go back to driving the car for more hours on end.  I did have a couple of interesting top spinning adventures on the way home.  At one road side rest I walked by a guy with a t-shirt that said "I (heart symbol) boomerangs"!!!  I asked about the shirt and the guy said his daughter plays soocer for a team called the boomerangs.  We need to make some shirts like that. 

The other adventure occured in a small town in Georgia (I think-it is all so hazy).  I drove by a place called the Top Stitch.  I guess they did some painting and other types of arts and crafts.  The best part was that for their logo they used a three color peg top.  It looked great.

Congrats Jorge and Felix.  I really enjoyed getting to know Felix a bit.  This is not to say that I didn't enjoy my time with Jorge but you know that story!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 04:38:02 PM »

Here's my comment about the world freestyle competition (since Jorge brought up the new prototype top with the one way bearing).  I woke up Saturday morning figuring I would end up 4th (fixed) and 6th (bearing).....or lower if Matt showed up.  I still wish Miguel would have thrown but when he didn't it did put me in position to at least win one medal in fixed tip.  To end up 2nd in that category was a true surprise but I know the truth as Felix was not able to bring enough tops and had to do some winding.  He is a much better player than I am and he deserved to win the bearing division.  For me to come home with two second place medals is quite humbling.  I will wear the second place label with pride (like last year).  What do they say......always the bridesmaid and never the bride?  But I better not say any more and give away hints about my bridesmaid costume for next year.

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 11:54:08 PM »

Ha ha, I was already wondering what costume you would wear next year.  Do you always wear a costume or did that start with your work duds last year?  Hmm, I have a feeling that Lug D. might appear, but you'll be sweatin to the oldies in that fur Elmer Fun hat  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkIPeas9gEc&feature=channel_page

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 01:03:53 PM »

Seven years ago we came back from the world championships with these memories and comments.  It is an interesting read.  Seems like we were able to be friendly and supportive of each other then and in the following years.

I bring this up because I just saw in the bookstore an interesting cover on the current Time magazine.  It simply says "Why we're losing the Internet to a culture of hate".  It is a sad thought but it does not pertain to this place. 

Not that we are perfect but something good keeps happening here.....like pictures above with spinning tops and smiling Jorges.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 01:06:31 PM by the Earl of Whirl »
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up