iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Subway surprise!!!  (Read 4740 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Subway surprise!!!
« on: September 21, 2010, 10:38:25 AM »

Well, how about this for a story to start my day off.  A new Subway restaurant is opening in Miamisburg.  I walked by last Tuesday night and they were working in the store.  I asked when they were going to open and they said "tomorrow".  I went by Wednesday and they were still working inside but they hoped to open Thursday morning.  When I went by the next morning the place was closed.  They obviously ran into a snag.  Friday, Saturday and Sunday there were no signs of activity.  I went Monday morning in an attempt to be their first customer but they told me there had been some water problems.  Please come back Tuesday morning and we will open.

This place is just two blocks from my house and I have been excited about some healthy food nearby so I decided to give them another chance.  I got there this morning and they told me they weren't ready so please wait a bit.  I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself then I went to my car and pulled out Alan Gray's red oak top.  I thought to myself, I know I can keep busy for at least an hour and a half!

After a few minutes the new owner (who I have known for over ten years from other Subway stores in the area) came over and said "Are you throwing a top?  I used to throw tops in India when I was growing up.  We used to throw in circles and try to hit the other tops."  I kind of took a step back and looked at him before I began telling him about our top festival in town every year.  He responded "In this town?  I will be there next year!"

Maybe it was a bit of a wait to get into the new Subway but, as they say, it was worth the wait.  I not only got to be the first customer and will have my picture on the wall, but I also met an Indian top spinner and have another participant for our whirled top fest next year!

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Eric

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • Eric's Photo Website
Re: Subway surprise!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 11:06:53 AM »

Great story Mike.
To everything turn, turn, turn..................

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 01:37:50 PM »

Never underestimate Mike's insistence in getting a good story!

. . . will have my picture on the wall
caption: "Our first and best client."
Chipotle will see its sales come down. But at least the cashier got her picture with ta0  ;)

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 01:48:53 PM »

I hope you were holding the top in your picture  ;D  A copy of it must go in the hall of fame :)  One time, the beauitiful green-eyed Indian woman at our Subway, sang me the "five dollar foot long" song.  Freakin Awesome in her Indian accent.  It was so random, I LOVED IT!   ;D ;D ;D

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »

Food & tops...Mike, have you ever tossed Pizza dough? Just might be your destiny!  ;D
Erratic Wobbler

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 06:13:18 PM »

Funny you should mention that.  Because of my inquiries into "throw dough" at worlds, a couple years ago, I met junior champ Sam Niemeier and we began throwing tops together.  He eventually became a Schreiber Shootout winner and participated in the top ladder several years in a row!

Trevor

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:33:06 PM »

Mike, they should have your photo in the store with the title - Our "Top" Customer.  ;D

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 11:45:35 AM »

I think that rather than
caption: "Our first and best client."
they might be better off being cautious and labeling the photo of Mike as "Our best first client" in case he can't stay away from Chipotle.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 01:27:31 PM »

Yep, that's the truth.  I am not a good Subway customer anymore.....only once or twice every couple of weeks.  Not every day like BC (before Chipotle).

But, they do have some nice breakfast options that are good for me.  I might be able to sneak in some breakfasts once in a while over there!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 05:19:18 PM »

8 1/2 years later I saw the Subway owner at the local rec. center (near Chipotle).  His son was shooting baskets and is getting ready to go to high school.  He was the little one running around at that Subway opening those many years ago.  Guess what they both asked for?  Tops!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 07:34:38 PM »

8 1/2 years later I saw the Subway owner at the local rec. center (near Chipotle).  His son was shooting baskets and is getting ready to go to high school.  He was the little one running around at that Subway opening those many years ago.  Guess what they both asked for?  Tops!!!

Nice to live in a close community with some shared history. Had that pleasure once in Gallipolis, OH, 1971-1973.

Haven't been in a Chipotle or Subway in several years. Don't remember either one as particularly good for me, but maybe that's an old story.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:40:07 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 01:28:13 PM »

I stay away from white flour and rice at Subway/Chipotle and get lots of veggies.  My body does pretty well with that.  I don't know about anyone else's bodies, though.

I have been in Gallipolis a number of times, especially in the mid '80s.  That is a true river town.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 05:16:04 PM »

I have been in Gallipolis a number of times, especially in the mid '80s.  That is a true river town.

Spent many a pleasant hour watching and canoeing the Ohio there. Between the river and the people, Gallipolis was a very nice place to live.