iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: beginner boomerang  (Read 3934 times)

rusty

beginner boomerang
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:57:23 PM »

Hi

I have some problems with the boomerang. I can make it with some luck, but usually it does not work. I am using a sidewinder and a ripcord when trying. When I pull back to make the top return to me the top often seems to hook to the string and fly way behind me. This seems to be a lot bigger problem with the ripcord, then this happens sometimes when I try to make a spinner on the floor too, it seems the string will not release the top. Do you have any tips?

Anders
Norway

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: beginner boomerang
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:25:02 PM »

Are you using a loop or are you trapping the knot?  I mostly use a loop but some folks have problems with it.  And on the rip cord I hope you are not using the slot.  I think the thing to do is get good at a spinner on the floor first.  The feel for the release will be easier to find than for the boomerang. 
Practice hard and play safe.

rusty

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 02:13:20 PM »

I am using the loop on the sidewinder and the slot on the ripcord. So I should not use the slot on the ripcord then?

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 04:24:34 PM »

I do not know of anyone who uses the slot and several folks had nothing good to say about it.  Try trapping the knot and see if it helps.  The next important question you need to answer is, is the wrap tight enough?  After you have finished the wrap try to push on the string from the crown toward the tip with your thumbs.  If the wrap is tight enough you should  not be able to mess the string wraps.  If the string wraps move toward the tip and get all messed up you need to wrap a lot tighter.

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 07:31:57 PM »

I agree with Dick, it sounds like your not tighten the wrap tight enough, is very important that the trompo is wrapped right and tight, no overlaping the string
The RC's slot, useless, dont know anybody that likes how that plays
Also, I wouldnt use the string that comes with the RC, personally I think is to short, spintastics strings are very good
Overall, I think, you should learn spinner before boomerang it would make it alot easier

rusty

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:14:30 AM »

Thanks, a lot of good tips here. I did not know that the wrapping was that important. I will check if it is thight enough.
What are good sources to buy extra string, can I find good string in normal stores in Norway?

kevinm

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 07:22:46 AM »

you may be able to find string you like at a place that sells hardware or building supplies.
as for the ripcord slipping, i used to have that problem too. i believe i might have been getting a little slack in the string by holding the top wrong. you have to keep a little tension on the string from the button to the last wrap so your top is always being pulled on. if you get your hand ahead of the top or any slack in there, it can unravel suddenly.
and as everyone eles said, that string groove should be avoided, wrap it conventionally.

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 12:16:42 PM »

Rusty,
  A couple of suggestions.  Do not use nylon string,  it slips.  Us good tight wound cotton only. Use a single knot on the end.  Double knots tend to catch.  Give it a bath once in a while.  Dirty strings don't work well.
  Also when you catch the knot make sure you wind the same way you came off the crown.  This would be better illustrated then said but I still don't know how to post pictures on this site.  Someone else might like to do this.
  The rule is very simple.  Pick it up.  Try again.  The suggestion of getting used to throwing on the floor is fantastic.  Do that until it is natural to do it.  Use the big scoop so you you can practice balance on the hand.  Again, Pick it up and try again.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

Java

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 12:39:59 PM »

Hey, Rusty;

Here is what I found. When I was in my beginning, throw-the-top-on-the-floor stage, I used the Ripcord's groove, and it worked fine. I didn't understand why no one liked it. BUT when I started learning to boomerang, I found that tugging on the string to bring the top back would wedge the knot into the groove. It would stick just enough to send the top flying over my head (usually towards my wife). The Spintastics loop sometimes comes too small so it sticks and flys over your head, too. If the knot is touching the crown, it is too tight in my experience. It seems to always work fine if the loop is loose, so the knot is closer to the o-ring than it is to the crown. I finally just gave up and took the loop out of all of mine, and now just trap the knot on all of them, like everyone else seems to.

Have Fun,
Tom

rusty

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »

Thanks for all the tips. I am getting quite good at the spinner with the sidewinder and it is getting there with the ripcord. I am starting to get control of the balancing in the hand. I find it easier to pick up the top with the string than using the scoop with the hand. I am using the technique from the Duncan spin top video where you wrap the string once around with the "button hand" and put the other string over this string and pull up. I find this technique to be a lot easier with the sidewinder, it seems the ripcord always runs over the string.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 07:26:18 PM »

yup, that's sky rocket - the most fool-proof way to use the string to pick up the top.
For the big scoop, use your index finger to pop in in your hand, not any of your other fingers.  Also some baby power on your hand will help with the sidewinder, shouldn't need it with the rip cord.