iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New players I met and the new Figaro gallery inductees  (Read 12336 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
New players I met and the new Figaro gallery inductees
« on: August 16, 2010, 06:35:39 PM »

What great worlds!

I want to start my reports about worlds by talking about the members of this board I met for the first time.
PPLGrande is such a great guy, always ready to help. I still cannot believe he started learning tricks just 3 or 4 months ago (he knows boomerang from when he was a kid). He is already regenerating and he was seen teaching "the experts" how to do Gerardo's El Mejor Truco. He says he may be freestyling next year and I believe it! As he lives in Orlando he should become a fixture at worlds.
Another member who we should see at other worlds is Yocephus. He was really enjoying worlds even though he was a little too shy throwing tops. He is easily distracted  by his other hobby: photographing sexy women (and there were some walking around the hotel).
WaxyAxle was all smiles. He is still more a yoyoer than a topspinner, but we will change that. I hope he comes to Miamisburg.

Other players I met in person for the first time:
Lorenzo Sabatini was difficult to track the first couple of days ("Where is Lorenzo?" was heard many times from the players who had ordered Strumbol8's). But when tracked down he was very enthusiastic about tops and easy to talk too.
The first day two Czech guys, I believe Petr Kavka and Zden?k Hýbl, approached me and wanted to try our tops, specially Petr.  I took a picture of Petr with Figaro so he will soon be in the Gallery.

The Figaro gallery will grow by many names thanks to worlds. One I am very proud to have is Bob Rule, Mr. Yoyo, who once was also know as Mr. Spintop. He learned from Winters and Mills (disciples of Schreiber) and he says at one point he was the best player with the exception of Forest Larson, Val's brother. I also took the picture of Rick Osbourne, Royal spintop and yoyo champion from the 60s and demonstrator for both Royal and Duncan.

Predicting the future, among the inductees were 2012 world champion Kevin Newell (knewsthe1) and 2013 world champion Sam Neimeier. Don't laugh: Darren was first known to the spintop world outside Colorado when he appeared in the gallery one year and some before becoming national champion.

Other spinners who now have pictures for the gallery are Steve Brown (who had actually thrown Figaro years ago), John Higby (because I am sure he will eventually incorporate tops to his show), Dazzling Dave Schulte, Rob Tsou, and Stupendus. But not everybody who got a picture with Figaro will be in the gallery (I am thinking of a couple of "bad" girls  ;) ).

PS: I am sorry that the site was down this morning. It was an ip routing problem, the server was fine.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Re: New players I met and the new Figaro gallery inductees
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 07:43:56 PM »

Thanks for the good comments Ta0 and for taking the responsibilities of judge.  You do a lot for us.

You can send me the pictures rejected by the Figaro gallery  ;D ...
Erratic Wobbler

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 01:47:41 PM »

These are the new forum members that have been inducted to the Figaro gallery:

PPLgrande (Omar):

yocephus (Kevin):

Waxy Axle (Seth):

These are old friends that should have already been there:

robtsou (Rob):

knewsthe1 (Kevin):

Sam:

I don't think Petr from the Czech Republic is a forum member, but hopefully he will be soon:

I just realized that I did not get Lorenzo's picture  :( Well, next year for sure.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:49:25 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 02:02:13 PM »

I am a happy man.  I am back at my hometown Chipotle where everyone knows me and I know many names of the workers and the lunch regulars.  Think Cheers for the healthy eating lunch set and less alcohol.  What a thrill to check the forum after lunch and see some friendly and familiar faces.  I look around Chipotle and realize I am smiling.  I have lots of warm feelings from worlds.  Thanks for reminding me of that from your posts, Jorge!

I am back to work tomorrow and will have to cut down on my post and viewing frequency.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

knewsthe1

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 04:14:21 PM »

there i am, thank you for letting me hold the figaro its an honor, i have finaally made it in the spintop community
 id like to have that as my profile picture but i dont know how to put it as my prrofile picture

=============

Admin: done!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:45:28 PM by ta0 »
PARA-MOUNT
Revolutionizing spintop forever

RunBMC

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 04:18:59 PM »

You can add to the list of people that you have met on the board on August 28!
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 04:30:52 PM »

It is very cool to see so many people holding Figaro. A big part of spin top history now.

Does anyone besides Jorge remember the one additional feature of Figaro?

Do you ever use it Jorge?

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 09:15:46 PM »

Does anyone besides Jorge remember the one additional feature of Figaro?

From the  Stacked tops thread
Originally Figaro had a cap with a center hole surrounded by a depression. I had asked Alan for that feature and I had the dream that I would be able to stack a small top just by throwing it while Figaro was spinning on the ground. But I underestimated the centrifugal force: the tops were expelled outwards instead of falling into the hole. Unfortunately, the cap broke on its first trip through an airport baggage handling system 

It is a shame it broke because Figaro looks great with a hat! 8)

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:57:29 PM »

With the hat Figaro looks like DEVO! www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbt30UnzRWw

But he looks more punk rock without it...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:39:24 AM by ta0 »

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 06:20:04 AM »

With the hat Figaro looks like DEVO! www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbt30UnzRWw

But he looks more punk rock without it...

When your spintops slowin' down you must whip it!

Takeshi

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 09:39:29 AM »

OH MAN!  Kevin is YoCephus?!?!  I like Kevin and I like YoCephus, I wish I had made the connection when I met him. 

Omar is a super great guy too.

Everyone was great.

I spent more time with you guys at worlds than I have in the past, but it's still not enough.  I always spread myself too thin between the top players, the modders, the yo-yo players and filming. :(

WaxyAxle

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 12:32:06 PM »

I had a great time meeting up with all the spintop players.  Ta0 is right that I have been more of a yo-yo player but I have had a serious spintop bug for a while now and I am now setting some real top spinning goals.  I think you all have converted my friend Chris  who I travelled with and some of you met too.  I am sure we will see him here on this board soon and I know he is planning to get up to Miamisburg next week.  Thanks for the picture Ta0, and I hope they catch whoever left giant dent in the wall. ::)

It was always great to get a few minutes with you Mike and despite your disappointment on your freestyles you did a great job.

Neff, you are lucky that I am not a hugger because I thought getting the chance to hang out with you a few times was great.  The 10 minutes I got hanging out with just you and Higby doing "the real Eiffel Tower" was the highlight of my trip.

And of course everybody else was just as fun and nice to be around.  Kevin and Alex come to mind.

And also, Omar, I did not get the chance meet you but you are one serious and brutal battle top player.  Who was the one that taught mike a lesson anyway?

kevinm

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 09:19:29 PM »

[img]worlds was more fun than i could have ever imagined.
it was amazing to meet so many people, and the atmosphere was so
friendly.
i am so thankful to have had the chance to go, and i do thank everyone for
the opportunity to hang out with all the real players. it's really hard to return to
the regular world now. hmmm. maybe i won't.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:22:10 PM by yocephus »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 11:32:13 PM »

You can send me the pictures rejected by the Figaro gallery  ;D ...
Figaro and two bad girls:

Tom balancing Autograph and Figaro!:

For the Figaro gallery:

Bob Rule:

Rick Osbourne:

Steve Brown:

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 03:57:36 AM »

Thanks for the picture ta0, It was a wonderfull experience to meet all of you, I appretiate the good times and I hope to see all of you next year, and maybe meet some more people
I was great to hang out with people that are so interested on trompos, as I am :) :) :)