iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: RC mangling  (Read 4551 times)

Java

RC mangling
« on: August 14, 2010, 05:39:44 PM »

Too much time on my hands this morning, so I decided to try out for the "I drill holes in perfectly good Ripcords" club. I still need to cut down the crown to shave a little more weight off, but so far here is what I have.

Just to add to the knowlege base, a 1" Forsner bit just fits into the hole on the bottom (inside) of the crown. It's pretty much self guiding, just be patient and don't overheat it. Do not lose your patience and turn it over to finish it from the top of the crown. From the top (outside) of the crown, it is NOT self-guiding, and the bit will walk across the crown and run over your thumb. Having to run for bandages just slows the whole process down........

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Re: RC mangling
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 07:10:12 PM »

Right on Tom--thanks for the pointer...self guiding=keep the balance.

I really like this mod and FWIW, I messed it up the first time--I impatiently used a dremmel.  It's repaired now .
Erratic Wobbler

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 02:00:59 AM »

Welcome to the club Java, I just became part of it myself, thanks to yocephus
Check it out

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 02:02:01 AM »

Its a BK

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 02:02:56 AM »

Thanks yocephus, i really appretiate it

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 02:04:09 AM »

One more just for fun

Tomymoonly

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 09:20:17 AM »

guys your bk and rc colors are so beautiful.... damned so jealous.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
!Re: RC mangling
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 10:58:54 AM »

YAY JAVA!!!
You make me proud.  What do you think of the play?

kevinm

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 02:11:51 PM »

Thanks yocephus, i really appretiate it
you are welcome sir. thank you for your kind hospitality and letting me visit your city, and  for showing me how to throw a top harder than i have ever seen anyone throw before.

that top looks good java, you can't even see the blood!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 02:14:05 PM by yocephus »

Tomymoonly

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 02:48:23 PM »

Too much time on my hands this morning, so I decided to try out for the "I drill holes in perfectly good Ripcords" club. I still need to cut down the crown to shave a little more weight off, but so far here is what I have.

Just to add to the knowlege base, a 1" Forsner bit just fits into the hole on the bottom (inside) of the crown. It's pretty much self guiding, just be patient and don't overheat it. Do not lose your patience and turn it over to finish it from the top of the crown. From the top (outside) of the crown, it is NOT self-guiding, and the bit will walk across the crown and run over your thumb. Having to run for bandages just slows the whole process down........

How come this top could be half/half collored... my RC and BK have the caps smaller than the body your look like cheated ^^

Java

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 08:27:42 PM »

Tomymoonly; Mine is a white body with a red cap, and I happen to have some red vinyl tape that matches pretty well. If you look closely at the picture you can tell it doesn't match exactly. Pplgrande's looks like the same deal - green and white with white tape.

Right now it's got a bearing tip and a o-ring, and I like this set up a lot better with the drilled/shaved crown. I had always thought it was a little too top heavy with the o-ring, so I seldom threw BKed RCs. Now I want to do another one to try as a fixed tip. Over the summer I've gotten a few chances to play "Ambassador of the Hobby" and I've given away a few tops. I'm down to just a few RCs and I want to pick up some more before I take power tools to any of them.

Have Fun,
Tom
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:41:47 PM by Java »

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 08:59:33 PM »

No cheating here, I changed the bearing system from my BK to my RC (already a solid color), and works like a charm, I dont know what it is and I cant explain it, but it just plays better, the mod defenetly changed my BK for the better

Java

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 05:13:13 PM »

I converted another one today. I played with the white/red one all morning, and decided I had to have another one. Why? I think they're cool, I think they play nicer, and you just can't sip expresso out of a stock one. So I did the yellow fixed tip that's in my avatar. The modified one with a rubber "weight ring"   ::) seems to weigh a little less than a stock one, spin longer, and play better. And as a side benefit, now I can change the tips without re-taping it!

Have Fun,
Tom