iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: world's and Lucky's  (Read 4844 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
world's and Lucky's
« on: August 13, 2009, 06:57:58 PM »

Well, they are just starting Lucky's 15 seconds of fame.  Somebody stood up and I plopped into the chair next to the computer.  Of course, I've got to utilize this time well so I went straight to ta0.com

It's been quite a world's so far.  We had a busy Wednesday night with everyone arriving from all over the place.  Felix Avilla (spelling?) is here and has talked about competing with Jorge, myself and Tom Connolly.  We also have heard that Miguel Correa will be up on stage and there are rumors about Boyd Seth and others.  John Gates is not here and we haven't seen Matt Ritter yet.  The best news about Wednesday night was that there were three young guys (12-14 years of age) throwing like crazy all night.

Today there was a nice beginner workshop with all the boys from last night and a number of others including agentsac.  How great to meet him and his family!  Dick Stohr, as always, did fine job leading that workshop.  We had an advanced workshop a couple hours later but that turned into more of a breakout time.  Still, there must have been over 20 throwers in there checking things out and trying to things and chatting away.  One of the biggest things people wanted to check out was Alan Gray's new one way bearing top.  Wow!!!

People are looking at me kind of funny.  I better post this while I can.  Talk to you more later.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:27:04 PM by ta0 »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
Re: world's and Lucky's
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:05:20 PM »

I tried to get Jorge to post but as soon as I got up and went to him he walked away!  I can see Dick Stohr from here.  I can't see Dale Oliver but I was with him about a half hour ago as he walked around the collection and pointed out yoyo after yoyo that he made.  That was amazing.  Wait, I've got to go.  They are calling for Dale to do a 15 second segment.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 07:12:23 PM »

Wow, did I make enough blank spaces on that first message or what?

Dale showed off his new yoyo with the great and colorful display during his 15 second segment.  I think that new yoyo is really going to sell well.

Tomorrow looks to be another full day and the top freestyles are Saturday at noon with the ladder at 1:00. 

Thousands of yoyos here at Lucky's but not many tops.  I did find Gould's book about Tops on the seat near the window.  Jorge is probably over there memorizing it.

Dick Stohr and I were laughing at our memories of Catherine and Joe upon their first look at Lucky's collection.  It seemed like it took them a good 20 minutes to close their mouths.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 07:35:16 PM »

Here I am at Luky's. Lot's of rain so we are inside. I just took a picture with Figaro of Chris Neff (the guy who throws tops with Steve on the Duncan video) and yesterday one of Felix.

Bearing look that is going to be competitive, specially if Matt appears. The fix tip would seem right now to be Mike, Felix and me. People are pushing me to start the freestyle with the foot start, but I don't know . . . The corkscrew challenge afterwards, but we don't know where the trophy is (Jon doesn't say).

Played a little with the new prototypes of the Duncan metal one-way Bearing King . . .

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 01:14:36 AM »

I'm really bummed that I can't be there with you all this year but I'm really happy that you guys are taking the time to check in w/those of us who are missing all the excitement.  Please say hello to everyone for me.  Take lots of photos.  Also, If there is going to be a video feed please hook us up w/any info.  Thanks again, and have a blast.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 03:01:43 AM »

eh eh :hello mike jorge and the crew!
thanks a lot , mike , for letting us share this great moment
and hello everyone for me and a special hug to dale ' O

my special agent "hadrien" has already got me an acrobat and a TB.....he's just coming from NY where he finished 8 at the contest ..you should see him somehow this week end

good luck to you all for the comp and sleep well in between ;) ;)

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

killswitch

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 07:19:51 AM »

i also have my secret agent whos bringing me a throwback and acrobat  :P

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 04:01:09 PM »

hi folks
i have just seen the comp live !!
mike long legs and the rest.....
big up to you all ,despite the lack of entries

;--))

jim

killswitch

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »

maan i have missed the spin top freestyles :(

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 04:27:38 PM »

mike and jorge
if you see this message in time,

can't you come near the webcam and say a little hello
i'm watching continuously till the end of the comp

the streaming is of good quality and the sound as well

it's located on the left of the stage near the judges

jim

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 06:34:26 PM »

Glad to have the live update--wish I was there.  Benn throwing a bit today while thinking of you all.

Cheers and have fun!
Erratic Wobbler