iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Eduardo Zentella Video.  (Read 4230 times)

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
Eduardo Zentella Video.
« on: August 05, 2009, 07:47:30 PM »

Maybe, the most of the people who play trompo from ..aprox. since 15 years from here, most of you don`t know who is Eduardo Zentella.
In certain moment, Eduardo Zentella was one of the best (or even, the best!) player of spinning top here in Mèxico. Zentella was invited to work in Duncan Company in the decade of 1970, because when the Duncan started to look for skill people to play doing exhibitions, they noticed that Lalo was very skill.

Lalo says he was the inventor of the way of regenerate the top known as "trapecios" This declaration could provoke some discussion and controverses (the controverses related with trapecios and lazadas will be for ever, I guess),
specially with relation to what we know about some players did trapecios many years ago.
Well, that is a secondary stuff.

Anyway, which I do really believes to him (Lalo) is that he is the creator of the trick "el automàtico" called in english "snap start".
He explained to me what was the way He discovered/invented this trick. Me contò que asì como se reanuda de nuevo el yo-yo, chasqueando los dedos, a èl se le ocurriò que tal vez con el trompo se podìa tambièn hacer. Y el resultado fue ese maravilloso, ingenioso, e increìble truco ue deja boquiabertos a todos aquellos que lo ven por primera vez.
Disfruten el video, and if you can, put some comment (not for me, but for Lalo, who kindly accept to appear in the video to all the whole world) there. Grandes Jugadores de la època clàsica del trompo: Eduardo Zentella.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9allWN2CRE

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9allWN2CRE[/youtube]

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:43:58 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Eduardo Zentella Video.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 10:20:01 PM »

I think it is fantastic that you are recording the history of tops in Mexico.  "Lalo" may be the inventor or more likely the re-inventor of those tricks, but by teaching other players he had a great influence in the future of trick playing in Mexico and through a new generation of players, like you, in the rest of the world. Wasn't he also the owner of the Premier brand of tops?

I wish somebody recorded the old US spintop demonstrators and players telling their stories.  Mmm, after worlds I'll try to get in contact again with Rust, the winner of the 1963 national contest, and get him on camera. Bob Rule would be a good person to interview and also Ken Filary.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 04:18:01 AM »

salut salvador
thanx a lot for making this video
eduardo is so handsome, and I dig  your commentaries too

it's like a short documentary

good day

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

killswitch

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 04:45:58 AM »

if somebody could translate the comentary so a non-spanish speakers could have something from it :)
i would like to know what they were talkin about.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:02:39 AM »

Jorge !
it's your job  :D

i do not speak spanish
but  with some background in latin and italian
i can get most of what is said

it's mostly an overview of the classical spinners stories and mastering of the tricks including the snap start
which eduardo does at the end

jim

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Translation from Spanish
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 10:55:21 AM »

Salvador presents Eduardo Zentella, a.k.a. Lalo (the common nickname for Eduardo).

Some background from emails I got from Salvador. Lalo started as a Duncan demonstrator, learning tops from Ken Filary and yo-yos from Dale Oliver.  Later he became a manufacturer of spintops under the brand name Premier and according to Salvador made good money out of it. The oversize model Jumbo from Premier (with a custom steel tip) is Salvador's favorite top. Unfortunately, Premier is not longer in business (Salvador still has a stash of Jumbos and I am getting some after worlds).

Salvador: "We are in the city of Guadalajara, Jalisco (the second city in Mexico). Eduardo Zentella is a very important person in the history of tops in our country and it is an honor to show the regen trick of "trapecios" by the person who invented them."

Lalo: "Hello friends, it is a pleasure to be here with Salvador, and effectively, I had the opportunity to start with this, in the year 1975. and this was one of the tricks we learned to do, how to regen, little by little and continue playing . . .  we can put a "lazada" (rc) in and again a trapeze . . . take into account it's 10 years I don't play Salvador . . ."

Salvador: ". . .  "

Lalo tries snap start:

Lalo: "Let's see if I can do it with this Jumbo"

Salvador: "We need to add that Lalo is the inventor of the trick we know as Automático, Snap-Start in English. .  . He explained to me, that he was inspired by yo-yos (he is a very good player as I have just seen) as they can be started with the fingers . . ."

killswitch

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 04:39:52 AM »

thx  ;)