iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: EL GRAN BIG BANG MEXICANO DE CUERDAS DEL TROMPO PARTE IX (A) - TOBOGANES  (Read 8339 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

This is the first of two videos on toboganes by Salvador (speaking in English!). I received another of those fabulous boxes from Salvador  ::)  8) that included several videos on DVD that I will be posting to his account from now until worlds.

Toboganes part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYRq4ht2B7A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYRq4ht2B7A

====================
And here is the second part with other views that make extremely clear what is going on.

Toboganes part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWXmbhmLsFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWXmbhmLsFE
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 12:08:42 PM by ta0 »

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None

I agree trompo grande with modified tip is better to practice the "toboganes". But I believed that trick was more complicate, and in a moment 3 string was placed in the tip.

I usually do this trick getting free the end of the string instead of the way Salvador did it.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

I also was under the impression that toboganes involved an exchange of strings, landing a yo-yo-like trapeze and only then letting go the end of the string.  This version should be easier to regenerate.

For many of Salvador regens, but not all, a heavy top is an advantage, so he is loving his Grande now that he changed the tip. By the way Salvador sent me a bunch of "retrofit kits" for the Spintastics Trompo Grande with his steel diabolo-type tips. More on that later, but I will be bringing them to worlds for those interested.

Thanks, Salvador. These videos are perfect for learning. And several more are coming in the next weeks!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member

It's great to hear Salvador speak in English and give us advise on this trick! I wish I could make Worlds to see some of his tips.  Could we see a pic?

If anyone is interested, here's some more information on coexisting with the coyote:

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/a7_coexist.php

Thanks Salvadodr, and thanks ta0 for posting these.  Looking forward to more.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!

I like your shirt, Salvador!  8)
Thanks for the video.

pplgrande

• Superhero member

Thanks for the video, Salvador always amazing, he makes it look so easy
Thanks for sharing this videos, cant wait to see the rest
And those tips, im very interested

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper

Gracias Salvador,  I think this is the first time I really understood how this trick works.  I'll have to try to do it now...

Thanks for the video--hope to see more.
Erratic Wobbler

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

I talked on the phone with Salvador and he told me that Gustavo keeps the top on the string much longer but even he lets go the string before the tip hits the other part of the string.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:45:34 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

Super Salvador!  I know this because of the big S on his t-shirt.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 09:47:30 PM by Mike Hout »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member

Well, before than anything, I want to thank to ta0 his friendliness and courtesy to make these videos available for all.

I think that the correct word to translate the spanish word "toboganes" into english language is "slides".

I completly ignore the reason to name this trick like that "toboganes".
The craetor of this trick, Gustavo castro, he has told me a little about the history  of this trick, which, like regeneration trick, s´got, at least, like ...among 15 or 20 years to exist.

This trick was done by the yoyo players, those who played yo-yos and too played tops. A lot of tricks of yo-yo,were adapted, o were tried to be adpated for the trompo. Here, this trick made with the yoyo is called "trapecio" ( I believe that in USA too is called with that name). Some players did this trick, but none of them tried to do more than one, or two, or three.
Besides that is nothing easy at all to catch the top with the tip in that position, nobody imagined that it was posible to regenerate that way. And if you see, is much more easy to do it from the initial throwing with the boomerang, but while gradually the impulse starts to go down, to diminish, is more difficult.
Gustavo told me that he realized to start to do 10, 20, 30, and so and so..and..the toboganes were born.

Even to me, there is the impression that when you hit the top with your left hand, the top, the tip, is still tangled in the string, and when the tip "lands" in the string again, this action, the weight, it frees te top.
By optical effect, this culd be belieft. But, in the last moment, you must free it.
Sometimes, it could happen that this action be possible: the tip of the top still in the string, to be received by the another string and liberate it. But you are taking the chance to get tangled. I prefer, to liberate the top as you can see in the video.
I treid to put the screen in diferent perspectives, so, you can appreciate the movements of all the factors: both of the hands, the fingers, the position of the top, the time, the rythm, etc.
At the moment of write this, I´m into a hurry. Later, I will continue writing more about this, and to thank your nice comments; Thanks, to ta0, and thanks to all.!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 09:26:25 PM by ARÀCNOCTAMBULO »

Herm

• ITSA Jr.
Re: EL GRAN BIG BANG MEXICANO DE CUERDAS DEL TROMPO PARTE IX (A) - TOBOGANES
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 12:37:15 AM »

I first learned this trick from Bob Rule.  He never told me where he learned it from.  I first saw him and Forest Larson doing it on an old 1960’s videotape.  Bob later taught it to me in 1990.  For quite a while this was my favorite trick.   It didn’t take me long playing with it to realize that it was a regenerating trick.  It was a delightful discovery and I was fairly sure that Bob and Forest never realize it could be a self regenerating trick.

For fun I diagramed this trick about 15 years ago using CorelDraw and sent it to a few top spinners.  I never knew what to call it and Bob didn't have a name for it.  I think I named it "Jumping Fishes" in the diagrams but I may have later changed it.  I later found out that it was used on the yo-yoing.com’s spin top forum where it and some of the other top tricks I diagrammed were posted after someone had chopped them up, re-arranged the steps, and deleted the instructional wordings.  At least that's what I remembered.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 07:08:08 PM »

That's really interesting, Herman, thank you for sharing it. Did you do it like Salvador or closer to a yo-yo trapeze?

Herm

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 12:50:53 AM »

Bob and Forest did it pretty much the same as Salvador. 

I also discovered that you can do the trick on the other side of the body, i.e. your right side.  In other words, everyone does the “jump” on their left side; but I found you can also “jump” it on the right side.  And you can alternate doing it left, right, left, right, continuously without stop for as long as you want.  I’ve never seen anyone else do it that way other than myself.  But it wouldn’t surprise me if others have.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »

I’ve never seen anyone else do it that way other than myself.  But it wouldn’t surprise me if others have.
On the contrary, it wouldn't surprise me if nobody else has done it that way!   8)
It sounds like a great looking trick. Could you please post a video? And we probably need a name too  :)

Herm

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 02:33:53 AM »

I’ll think about it.  I’ve never put anything on YouTube nor do I know how to imbed a video onto a posted message, although I’m pretty sure I can figure it out if I decide to.

In my earlier posting I mentioned that I named the trick Jumping Fishes.  But after posting it I remember that I later changed it to “Flip-Overs” when I diagrammed it.  I think it's a less jarring name.

Also, I said that Bob Rule and Forrest Larson did that trick pretty much the same as Salvadore which is true in terms of the mechanics.  But when Bob Rule did the trick it looked different because after flipping the top back up he held his hands further apart so that the string was almost horizontal for the catch so that the trick looked different than the way Salvador did it.  I guess since Bob didn’t do it as a regenerating trick, his version gave a different effect: that of bouncing the top on the string and it was very pleasing to the eye when he did it in his smooth effortless style. 

When they were at their prime both Bob and Forrest were the slickest and smoothest top players I’ve ever seen.

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up