iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: hating the buttons  (Read 5882 times)

Greaves504

• Gold Member
hating the buttons
« on: July 08, 2010, 10:39:28 AM »

where are you supposed to hold the button? wherever i put it, it feels like it's sliding and when I throw, it ends up flying off with the top. I know it's kind of a newbie question, but still. it doesn't feel comfortable at all, and even when just holding the button between my fingers before a throw, i can already feel it coming off. any tips? if you bought one of those aluminum cuper tops, that's the kind of button it is. before this, I was doing the whole yoyo knot thing. then I read it's not really recommended due to winding up the string before wrapping. so yeah, any help would be appreciated. I don't even know between what fingers you're supposed to put it in.

Java

Re: hating the buttons
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:03:02 AM »

I put the string and button between my middle and ring fingers. It does take some practice to relax the rest of your arm and hand, while still holding the string. Making it worse is the fact that your ring finger is your weakest finger. If I throw a light top for a while and then suddenly switch to a heaver one, I still have one get away once in a while! I've also heard of people holding it between their index and middle fingers, but I believe that's a lot less common. Keep practicing!

Have Fun,
Tom

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 11:17:59 AM »

You can also wrap the string around one finger.  Put the button on the back of your hand with the string between your middle and ring fingers now wrap the string around either middle or ring finger and pull the string into the palm between those fingers. 
Practice hard and play safe.

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 11:19:17 AM »

I still throw the button with the top from time to time.  I find that if I am having this problem that I try to keep my hand cupped like it is when I am holding the top, even after the throw.  This seems to keep my fingers closed together.  Also, I too put the button between my ring and middle fingers.
"Could switching to GEICO really save you 15 percent or more on car insurance?"

...Is a top in the hand worth two on the floor?

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 04:25:13 PM »

I've done like Dick says above years ago, but when I did it I put the button on the "front" of my hand, and wrapped it around the back of one of my fingers (as seen in How to Be a Player Volume II).

I don't recommend this though, because if the button is coming out of your hand you are throwing it wrong IMHO. [edited to state reason]

I would recommend two things:  1) message me your address so I can send you a Neffy button.  It is very light, and if any button will stay put, this one will.  2) Make sure you are not pointing your fingers at the top as you let go of the top.  Try to curl your fingers away from the top as after you let go, not towards.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:58:15 PM by Neff »

Greaves504

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 10:15:26 AM »

Thanks for all the advice guys. They were all helpful, especially Neff's. really made a difference. I can almost land that boomerang now :D just need to find a way to keep it from bouncing straight up and off my hand now :P

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 04:54:55 PM »

Catch it like you would a baseball, move your hand down with the top to soften the landing.  You're almost there!

Greaves504

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 12:07:45 PM »

WHOOOOO!!! finally landed a boomerang. Made all the blisters from tightly wrapping constantly worth it  ;D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »

Congrats!!!

Most people when they'll see you doing a boomerang will consider you a spintop expert.

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 01:25:46 PM »

Thats funny ta0, but true
Most people dont understand how hard some of this trick are, and a boomerang will impress almost anybody
The best part of learning the boomerang, there is now an endless amount of tricks you can learn/do
Congrats Greaves504

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 10:37:46 PM »

Way to Go Greaves504!  Those blisters will turn to calluses that will mark you forever as a top spinner.  Be proud  ;D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 12:18:10 AM »

Yes, good going Greaves504.  Keep up the great work and progress.

Congrats also to lincolnrick for making it over the 100 post mark!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Darren Kim

• Gold Member
    • This Blog is Crucial
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 01:11:12 AM »

Nice one Greaves504! I think landing a boomerang is one of the most satisfying, and eyeopening experiences. Have you tried any cool tricks yet?
Spin top is the new yo-yo

Greaves504

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 08:45:09 PM »

no not yet. got busy again so i've only had time to practice throwing the boomerang. i'm gonna see if i can make room though ;D