iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Deadline to submit World Contest Videos is October 25th

Poll

Which two teams will play the 2010 World Cup final?

Uruguay and Spain
- 2 (28.6%)
Netherlands and Germany
- 3 (42.9%)
Uruguay and Germany
- 2 (28.6%)
Netherlands and Spain
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Who goes to the final? !!!!  (Read 6879 times)

Takeshi

• Gold Member
Re: Who goes to the final? !!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 04:39:20 PM »

I will be cheering for Germany on Saturday for sure! 

Sorry Uruguay, but I'm still bitter about the Ghana loss :(

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 05:11:09 PM »

That's incredible!!!!!

I can't believe it!!!!!

Spain to the final. And Uruguay fight for the 3th.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 05:28:04 PM »

¡¡¡¡ ESPAÑA !!!!

DONT TALK TO ME. >:( :'( I dont want to hear it ta0 (in advance)!
:P :P :P :P :P
See you Saturday . . .

I will be cheering for Germany on Saturday for sure! 
Sorry Uruguay, but I'm still bitter about the Ghana loss :(
Why?
Because of the handball? The fact is, and I have heard nobody deny it, that any player in that position, would have done the same, be it a Ghana player, a US player, an English player or a Spanish player. It was the right and only play at that time. It is something considered within the rules: Ghana would have sealed the game by making the penalty shot and we lost our main striker for the semifinal, what may have left us out of the finals. Ghana played a very physical game: our captain Lugano could not play yesterday and another starter, Lodeiro, left the cup with a broken foot.
Was it in part because they were the last team from Africa standing?  They were the last team when the US played against them and you were for the US! The US has about 10 times the population of Ghana. Uruguay, on the other hand, has about 1/10th the population of Ghana. I hated that the lottery had us playing against South Africa and then against the last African nation. The truth is, that in 3 games, vs. South Africa, vs. Ghana and vs. Netherlands, the whole stadium was against Uruguay.

With Suarez, Fucile and hopefully Lugano back, I predict Uruguay 3, Germany 1 on Saturday!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 05:33:28 PM by ta0 »

RunBMC

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »

Oh no you didnt! :(
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

Takeshi

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 09:04:34 AM »

@ta0 - I'm sorry bro, maybe 'bitter' wasn't the best word.  I think 'sad' is probably more accurate.  I don't have my heart invested in any of the teams left, so my reasons for supporting one team over another are pretty arbitrary.

About what I said regarding my support for Germany...

¡¡¡¡ ESPAÑA !!!!
Why?
Because of the handball?

I totally understand that any good footballer would have thrown up the hands to make the save, risk the red card and give away a penalty kick.  It's for the sake of the team.  It was to keep their country's hopes alive.  In most sports there are times when players have to decide whether or not results justify the means.  To make a conscious decision to break the rules for the benefit of the team (and in this case, country) is what ANY good footballer would do.  But, it wasn't solely because of the handball that the game left a bitter taste in my mouth.  Overall I think Ghana played a better game.  I know that strong points for both sides can be made about who played the better game, but I'm not fishing for an argument by saying that.  I wanted to throw that out there in order to better explain my use of the word 'bitter' earlier.

¡¡¡¡ ESPAÑA !!!!
Was it in part because they were the last team from Africa standing?  They were the last team when the US played against them and you were for the US! The US has about 10 times the population of Ghana.

At the beginning of the match, I wasn't sure who I was supporting, I just wanted to watch some good futbol.  The more I thought about how much it would mean to Ghana (and to most of Africa) to move on at this World Cup in Africa the more I wanted to support them.  In other words, Ghana winning would make more people in the world happy than if Uruguay were to win.  <Like I said, it's a pretty arbitrary decision for where my support lies, but it's the truth. 

It's not necessarily about popularity.  I supported the US over Ghana for a couple of reasons.  I am American, so national pride does play quite a big role in my support for the team.  But also, the further the US advanced, the more attention they draw to soccer here in the US, which would hopefully result in more interest in the sport.  At that stage I was selfishly looking at how much the win would mean to us.  And although the US has 10 times the population of Ghana, there's probably 99% less interest here in the US, lol ;)

It's odd to say and it's totally irrational, but I do feel some ownership of the US team.  That's MY team.  When they scored a goal, I was happy because 'we' did it.  When there were bad calls against the US, I felt it was against 'us'.  It's kinda weird though, the World Cup and the Olympics are the only times I really project myself into the games and drama that goes on. 

¡¡¡¡ ESPAÑA !!!!
Uruguay, on the other hand, has about 1/10th the population of Ghana. I hated that the lottery had us playing against South Africa and then against the last African nation. The truth is, that in 3 games, vs. South Africa, vs. Ghana and vs. Netherlands, the whole stadium was against Uruguay.

That is unfortunate for Uruguay.  For such a small nation they have undoubtedly done great things in this World Cup.

Having to explain my feelings and justify my thoughts has really made me realize that on Saturday, I really just want to see some good football :)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »

I understood why you were supporting Ghana but I wanted to put out there that Uruguay was getting a pretty bad rap that it didn't deserve. By the way, among the 32 teams that competed in the group stage of the finals, Uruguay was 4th in fair play according to FIFA, based on fouls and cards.

I am a naturalized US citizen but I couldn't support the US team when it means so little to this country and it means EVERYTHING to other countries.  These last weeks the big sports news in the US has been where would Lebron play next season, much higher than the world cup. Of course, the richest country in the world, with 1/20th its total population, could easily become a top soccer country if it puts its mind into it. The US, like Germany and Spain, could have their whole national team playing in their own league, while countries like Ghana and Uruguay have them dispersed in foreign leagues and barely can put them to play together for the world cup. They can even get extra players by naturalizing them, the perfect example being Germany, whose team includes (among others) three Polish, one Brazilian, one South African, and one from Ghana! You could argue that Germany taking away from Ghana one of the Asamoah brothers (both starters in their teams) was the biggest blow to Ghana's chances in this world cup.

Historically, Uruguay has put a competitive team on the world cup every 20 years. I am looking forward to 2030 . . .

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 09:28:38 AM »

Funny you should mention 2030.  That is the year I have a killer top spinning freestyle scheduled for the world championships.  I feel like that will be our year.......me and Uruguay.  I will almost be 80.  I think that will be a good time to win it all.  It will be a good year for Uruguay to win it in soccer, too.  Together U. and me are starting our trash talk and I have eight more posts before I hit 800 to talk about it!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 03:58:57 PM by Mike Hout »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 11:47:12 AM »

You should decorate some of your tops red and yellow and post pictures. But that should be posted on the general board as it would be STR (SpinTop Related)!

I will do the same with Figaro if you admit that Forlan deserved the Golden Ball award he got :P

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 01:46:48 PM »

I love the story of 87 year old Maria Candelas del Valle Munoz.  She got to the parade route in Princesa two hours ahead of time..........in her wheelchair so she could get a good place to cheer on her winning team! 

Congratulations to world soccer champion Spain!!!