iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Juan from Colombia is in Miamisburg and throwing tops!!!  (Read 2886 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Juan from Colombia is in Miamisburg and throwing tops!!!
« on: July 05, 2010, 05:27:23 PM »

We have our annual Day Camp going on at the church this week.  We get a number of counselors trained at our Lutheran camps and sometimes get some international counselors.  It is great to hear the stories and the background from their countries.  This year we are fortunate to get a young man by the name of Juan from Colombia.  Interestingly enough, part of the reason we got him is because of John Buechele at Lutheran Memorial Camp.  Thanks John!!!

Sadly, Juan does not have trompo experience from his country.  He does have some stories of professionals coming through and the town getting excited for a bit but he never threw much.

The good news is that we, in humble little Miamisburg, get to be a part of teaching a Columbian about top spinning!  John Buechele already has him going pretty well but today was a significant day because, in our sanctuary, he threw his first boomerang!!!  My goal, over the next few days, is to dig whatever I can out of him about trompo in Columbia and to report about Juan's spinning progress in the US.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

MatiasStuntMan

Re: Juan from Colombia is in Miamisburg and throwing tops!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 08:12:34 PM »

Hi Mike, you must be a very good teacher is he is already throwing bomerangs, please say hello to Juan from Colombia from Julio from Colombia!

Takeshi

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 08:26:36 PM »

That's awesome!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 10:36:35 PM »

Juan from Colombia was thrilled to get a hello from Julio from Columbia.  Thanks for your comments MatiasStuntMan and Takeshi. 

Juan is making great progress.  I'd like to take the credit but I think there is more to the story than he is telling me.  The big giveaway is when I noticed that I can put a spinning top in either his right or his left and he keeps it perfectly upright.  I think he has handled a lot of tops in his life.

Tonight we spent some more time with boomerangs and he is getting much more consistent.  At one point he had four or five in a row.  Juan is a good student and listens well.  I got him throwing some trompo grandes and he seems to be doing nicely with those.  I also got a trompo bearing going and let him take over some merry go rounds and some trapeze spinners.  It will take some time but he is slowly getting the feel of the movement of the top.

Only four more days with him!

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »

Very Cool!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:13:51 PM »

We were outside most of today at a park and didn't get much top spinning action in.  But I did get Juan to tell me a few more stories.  First of all, he called his parents in Colombia last night and they viewed my freestyle with the stilts on youtube.  That was cool to hear.  Juan also told me that he dad was a trompo player.  This explains how he does so well with a trompo in either hand.  His dad has probably been playing trompo with him since he was a little boy!!!

One other story Juan told was about the professionals that came to his village.  In the 6th grade the yo-yo pros came through and everyone threw yo-yos like crazy for the next year.  In 7th grade it was the trompo pros who came through and it was non-stop trompo throwing for the next year.  He said you could find trompos in all the stores......not only
the toy stores but also the bike stores, the barbershop, the grocery, the clothing stores - everywhere!  That made me laugh.  Can you imagine tops being available so many places in the US including the barbershop?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 12:12:30 AM »

Can you imagine tops being available so many places in the US including the barbershop?
Where do you think I found Figaro?  ;D ;D ;D

Monday I received the visit of Albert(o) (Beto210 in the forum) and his two cousins  from San Antonio. They found the site while searching the net for Mexican tops to buy. Albert (around 20 yrs) played top battles when he was a kid in Mexico and wants to learn some tricks. His cousin Brian (17?) also learned in Mexico (Tampico) and already has a strong boomerang. Bob (14?) is new to tops. They left with several Mexican tops and some Spintastics.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 09:06:52 PM »

Sadly, Juan had to leave today.  I will miss his smile and his enthusiasm.  He is a great guy and does very well with the English language as well as English speaking songs and motions.  All the kids love him.

I believe he is up to 70% or better with his boomerangs.  He hits them very regularly and is getting smoother and more relaxed looking with them.  He understands the merry-go-round but is still stumbling in his attempts to get that first complete revolution in.  I am sure that he is just a few days away from perfecting that and moving on to other tricks.

He was always too busy to visit the Top Spinning Hall of Fame (tear) but I was able to get him to sign the book along with other famous throwers who have visited.

A highlight yesterday was when I said the phrase "Loco como un trompo".  This was the first time he heard me say it and he began to laugh heartily.  It was great to see him enjoy my use of those words.  Many thanks to board members for that sentence.

I am hoping that John Buechele will be keeping in touch with us about Juan's progress and any of his comments about American top spinning.