iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: Wall of Death motorcycle  (Read 152 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Wall of Death motorcycle
« on: May 18, 2019, 01:26:34 PM »

hi all! I have seen this attraction in Corsica recently
later that day , I played some tops for the crew,and thanx to the mesmerizing effect of gyroscopic precession, they offered to take me for a ride the next day(..°)
I accepted and in the morning after, found myself strapped with helmet,leather jacket and big gloves
ready to go at the back of a bike...the rider took me well under the red line : it was quite scaring and noisy but fun 

https://youtu.be/x936h80vYig

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Wall of Death motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 06:28:38 PM »

Wow! You rode a bike on the Wall of Death! Amazing!  :o

I don't ride motorcycles but last week pulpowsky took me as passenger in one to a Milonga in the downtown of Madrid, where he could not drive a car because of city restrictions. That was frightening enough!  :D

kevinm

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 09:49:48 PM »

Jim, I have worked in motorcycle shops for thirty some years and you just made me realize, I don’t have any stories...
Happy to hear your pilot stayed below the red line on the Wall of Death!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 11:59:00 PM »

You mean you actually went up the Wall of Death on the back of a bike??

Rode fast Japanese sport bikes for many years until 1st kid was born, and not always with due restraint. Three strict rules kept me alive: Never without a helmet, never in an altered mental state, and absolutely, positively, no Walls of Death.
Playing with the physical world through LEGO

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 02:03:22 AM »

hello again
some precisions, it was during this event :
https://www.facebook.com/Galeria-Biker-Bay-873570916028168/
the motorcycle is a 350 /4stroke
very efficient torque at low regime
the climb is very progressive and the speed is in fact lower than the impression you have
when you watch the riders from the top
the bike never brakes, it accelerates and slows down smoothly

as a seasoned biker , I was quite confident , it was not a "deadly challenge"
the crew known as "les fils du vent" counts 12 people living thanx to this attraction
they have around 20/30 dates per year in bike shows and gatherings, they have been touring for 8 years
 no serious accident so far except for a fire once and a fall due to a slippery zone after some guys
poured their beer bottles from the top !

jim

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 05:46:54 AM »

Well, what will you surprise us with next?  Very impressive!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!

butterfingers

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 08:15:13 AM »

Like Jeremy all my bikes were sold and I stopped riding when I became a father. It was one of the earliest lifestyle casualties brought about by marriage and children.

Jim, you are lucky to have experienced this. I didn't realize a passenger would be allowed. I have been told that the bikes used for these shows are modified and need to have proper style fuel setup so they don't stall. One of the shows I went to used magnificent Indian motorcycles for this reason. Did you think to have someone shoot a video?

kevinm

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 01:08:03 PM »

hello again
some precisions, it was during this event :
https://www.facebook.com/Galeria-Biker-Bay-873570916028168/
the motorcycle is a 350 /4stroke
very efficient torque at low regime
the climb is very progressive and the speed is in fact lower than the impression you have
when you watch the riders from the top
the bike never brakes, it accelerates and slows down smoothly

as a seasoned biker , I was quite confident , it was not a "deadly challenge"
the crew known as "les fils du vent" counts 12 people living thanx to this attraction
they have around 20/30 dates per year in bike shows and gatherings, they have been touring for 8 years
 no serious accident so far except for a fire once and a fall due to a slippery zone after some guys
poured their beer bottles from the top !

jim

The wall of beer is bound to be more dangerous, but it still sounds like more fun.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 03:35:30 PM »

hello again
what i really liked in this show is that it's not only the bikes running
before they do an open air performance with loud music and the story of a guy
 in the North of the  Artic,who could ride horizontally on ice ..then they start the bike
he used , the legendary "Ural" bike(...)which is on stage at full regime...
the whole crew wears funny clothes and it feels like a side-show act from the 60ties

https://youtu.be/bTNCmrj4KWQ

when they took me for a ride in the morning at 11, I got a 10mn briefing explaining what i should not do
basically you have to behave as a luggage,giving little air friction
the bike has only one gear, but they also use a yam500 which they start in secong gear
 during the first circles the climb is slow, the rider stands up and accelerates
then he sits and keeps riding up:visually it's amazing, and not speaking of the muffler sound,
which is cut a few inches after the cylinder

jim

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 05:43:55 PM »

I too had a bike in college and almost did not get to marry Bev when I told her mother she road with me! But at My first duty station Bev had a job at the local hospital as a Med Tech. She was called in to work on a sailor that tried to take out a tree with his Cycle. After that she told me that I could get another bike when I had a hand full of cash big enough to pay for it. She has never let me have that much money.
Practice hard and play safe.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 06:31:07 PM »

I too had a bike in college and almost did not get to marry Bev when I told her mother she road with me! But at My first duty station Bev had a job at the local hospital as a Med Tech. She was called in to work on a sailor that tried to take out a tree with his Cycle. After that she told me that I could get another bike when I had a hand full of cash big enough to pay for it. She has never let me have that much money.

I can relate! Went out to buy a new Nissan 300Z sports car for myself when Kathy was pregnant with our 2nd kid. Really wanted a turbo, but it only came in the 2-seater. On my way out the door, she said,

Have fun, dear! Just remember -- you can buy a 2-seater, but you can't come home in a 2-seater.

So, got the 2+2 with kid-sized back seats instead. Turns out, the normally aspirated 2+2 was a lot more fun to drive anyway, as it had more low-end torque and no turbo lag.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:35:21 PM by Jeremy McCreary »