iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Acrobat & throwback  (Read 5563 times)

pplgrande

• Superhero member
Acrobat & throwback
« on: June 16, 2010, 06:08:57 AM »

Acrobat & Throwback, whats the difference?
Im interested in learning about this trompos before I invest some money, any help will be appretiated
Are this spintops fixed or bearing point?
and if there is anyone that can post a picture of them, cause i cant even seem to find that
Thanks you all

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Acrobat & throwback
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:10:02 AM »

Here are some "official" pictures:

Throwback:

Acrobat:

The Acrobat is a more "responsive" top for freestyle play while the Throwback is more of a gyroscopic top for typical bearing top tricks. They come standard with bearing tips with replaceable fixed tips, except for the purple body Acrobat that is only fixed tip. The Throwback has the option of a collector display box but it will cost you 50% more.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:35:34 AM »

Also, the Throwback has an internal weight ring and a Delrin cap, Acrobat has no weight ring and a metal cap.  The Throwback is very similar to the YYJ Gates top, and the Acrobat shape is very similar to the shape of many of Alan Gray's tops.

I have an Acrobat, it is dead smooth and really great to play with.  IMO, for a $100 top it should come with steel tips too, and the shape of the fixed tip could use some modifications.

Tomymoonly

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 05:45:10 PM »

lol wtf did thos tops got the same value technical as there prices value?

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »

Well, if you accept prices for metal yo-yos, yes.

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 03:43:35 AM »

Well first of all thanks for the beautyfull pictures, wow those some pretty trompos, and thanks for all the info
Im puzzled, I defenetly cant afford to get two of them, as much as i would like to, but im leaning towards the Acrobat, cause I defenetly want to play with it, "my trompos are for play not display", eventhough it would be wonderfull to get one with a display case, but back to reality
So the Acrobat is looking really good, does Alan Gray make bearing trompos?, I seen some of his beautyfull wood trompos he makes (on the internet) but never got the chance to play with one, does he also make metal trompos?

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 07:29:15 PM »

I'll let Alan answer all of the questions but the one he made for me (NFO) has a bearing tip that can be screwed down to play fixed.
Practice hard and play safe.

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 07:42:31 PM »

Really?, thats really neat, screw it and change it to fixed tip, i didnt even imagine that

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 10:26:42 PM »

Really?, thats really neat, screw it and change it to fixed tip, i didnt even imagine that
Figaro is like that. I think most of the larger (and not so large) tops Alan makes nowadays are of that type.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:11:12 PM by ta0 »

Darren Kim

• Gold Member
    • This Blog is Crucial
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 01:09:24 AM »

I think it was a little ridiculous that YYF made tops, that everyone was stoked about (especially me) and then charged 150 for a top! Oh well, I guess its back to the Bearing Kings.
Spin top is the new yo-yo

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 03:03:47 AM »

"Back to the bearing king's"?, thats wishfull thinking Darren ;D, i've been looking for a BK for I dont know how long and still no luck
The only bearing tops i can find are spintastics and saturno roller's and lucky us ta0 had some 5 estrellas turbo's (but those are mostly collectables)
If you or anybody else knows where to get some BK's, even used ones, or any other type of bearing trompo let me (us) know, cause i know im always looking, with no luck

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 07:16:27 PM »

pplgrande, i sent you a pm.

Darren Kim

• Gold Member
    • This Blog is Crucial
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 02:41:07 AM »

I usually Create mine from Ripcords with Bearing tips. Sometimes a second duncan size bearing is needed though