iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Deadline to submit World Contest Videos is October 25th

Author Topic: Spinning at Customs  (Read 3180 times)

MatiasStuntMan

Spinning at Customs
« on: May 31, 2010, 02:36:49 PM »

I was leaving my hometown Medellin returning to the USA today and when a police agent at customs was checking my luggage he found my Watts Top and he gave it a very weird look and then he passed it twice thru the X-Ray machine, he thought that it might have being stuffed with “something”. He had never seen such a big top before, and was very suspicious about it; he didn’t believe that it worked so I proposed to play it for him so he can verify that it was a real Top. And there I was spinning and rollercoasting in front of the customs Police and in front of other travelers, they were amazed by looking at the big Top, and with a laugh they let me pass. It was a shame that I couldn’t tape it, then at the waiting room some people approached me and we talked about Tops up until the plane left. It was a funny experience; I think this is going to be the first story of many Top travelers’ anecdotes.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:20:30 AM by MatiasStuntMan »

John Buechele

• Gold Member
Re: Spinning at Customs
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 03:03:55 PM »

What a story. There were a few times last year I took my tops through the airport but I never had the opportunity to demonstrate my skills for airport security. Glad to hear everything worked out for you.

RunBMC

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 03:09:16 PM »

Thats awesome! I should do that!
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 01:02:42 AM »

Thats a great story
who else can say they got to show their trompo skills to customs

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 01:17:44 AM »

That is indeed a wonderful anecdote! I once heard of somebody been asked to demonstrate they could play an instrument they were taking on board and I have a vague recollection that it also happened to a yo-yo player. But to be asked to demo a top: only in my dreams!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 11:11:19 AM »

A friend of mine was bringing juggling clubs through an airport (not even customs), and had to not only show that he could juggle them, the TSA made him dis-assemble one of his clubs.  Down to the dowel.  At least he saved two of them.  :o

Trevor

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »

wow, great experience!

Takeshi

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 02:14:33 PM »

I had to do a yo-yo and spintop demo for customs when I was leaving Brazil back in '06.  I guess looking at 6 spintops going through an x-ray machine looks suspicious ;)  lol, so I was stopped.  I didn't have to 'prove' that they worked, but the customs workers kept asking me about the tricks until I offered to show them some.  They were pretty excited, lol. 

And you're leaving Medellin?  There are some beautiful people in Medellin ;)  Oh, here's a picture you might appreciate.

Do you know who that girl is? 

Look in the top right of the picture and check out what it says in the red heart!

MatiasStuntMan

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 02:31:43 PM »

Of course I know who she is, her name is Natalia Paris, she is very famous. I used to work as a photographer assistant and we took many pictures of her, she is very kind and very cute. I am so glad that you liked Medellin, you should come back again the city has changed a lot for good. Thanks for posting that picture it brings back good memories.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 03:16:13 PM by MatiasStuntMan »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 06:26:11 PM »

Takeshi looks happy as a clam but Mark I don't know, he looks uncomfortable . . . ?   ???

With a name like Paris . . . But you already edited your post MatiasStuntMan, so I'll not say more  ;)

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 05:15:31 PM »

Mark often has that "I'm sitting on something uncomfortable" face.