iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: In Marocco they call it "Trombia"  (Read 400 times)

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
In Marocco they call it "Trombia"
« on: June 11, 2024, 04:43:00 AM »

The other day when I was working in the toy shop this man came up to me and kind of thanked me because I revived fond childhood memories he said. Well, I was holding a top and had made a few throws, so that was the reason. He told me in his childhood in Marocco everything revolved around either spin tops or marbles. I threw another boomerang and showed  two or three simple tricks and by that time he called me "professional" ;-). As ta0 keeps saying, to the average person everyone who can throw a boomerang is an expert.
He also tried to throw a spinner with a small wooden top. He was clearly rusty though.
In Marocco they call the spin top Trombia he told me in the end.

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: In Marocco they call it "Trombia"
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2024, 05:17:31 AM »

Trombia.  Interesting.  I looked that up on the internet and the first thing that came up was a company in Finland where they make automated electric street sweepers, the world’s first.  They are called Trombia Free.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 05:20:36 AM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024, 06:09:04 AM »

Trombia.  Interesting.  I looked that up on the internet and the first thing that came up was a company in Finland where they make automated electric street sweepers, the world’s first.  They are called Trombia Free.

If we had looked it up here in the forum first, we would have found this entry by Jim. Salut Jim!

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2024, 01:27:53 PM »

One day, like five or six years ago, here in the subway I met a man. We started to talk and we gave each other facebooks links to keep in touch. We continued in communicattion like three years but finally the communication ended.

That unique time we saw and talk, he was wearing a strange kind of cloth, like a tunica with hood. He told me the name of that sort of tunica is "shelhama". The one he was wearing it was very, very expensive. He told me there in Morocco you can find different prices and qualitys of this kind of clothe. I liked that kind of clothe and asked him about it.
He told he was in Morocco of vacation ...I guees one or two month.

He had time , so we talked like one hour and a half or maybe two hours. Almost all the talking was about Morocco.

He told that a lot of people talked spanish. And also there was a lot of people from Spain and Latinamerica.

To me is strange this word "trombia" because in arab, I believe the word for trompo is "zarbout" or "najla" I am not so sure.
But I consider that the word "trombia" (given its great similarity with "trompo" ) must be a derivation.

What can be strange, is that Morocco is very close to Spain, where the most common word for trompo is "peonza".

I don´t know what other languages are spoken in Marocco besides arab and spanish. Maybe, better said, surely, french, given the proximity with Argelia.
Maybe some other people talks tuareg.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 01:33:54 PM by Ketzaltlipoka »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2024, 01:42:54 PM »

What can be strange, is that Morocco is very close to Spain, where the most common word for trompo is "peonza".

They also use Trompo. Specially before Trompos Cometa had their campaigns in Spain calling them Peonza instead of Trompo!  :o ::)
So, it wouldn't be that surprising that in Morroco they called it Trombia. But I also thought Zarbout was the name they used.

In Spain we speak different languages.
Most of Spain speaks only spanish but:
In Galicia we speak galician and spanish. In galician the word for spinning top is buxaina.
In Cataluña they speak also catalán and the word in catalan is baldufa and virolet for finger tops
In Pais Basque (Euskadi) the word in euskera  is ziba
In Aragón the word in aragonés  is galdrufa

In Spain we usually say peonza most of time, but we also say trompo.

But like in many countries sometines in villages on small places they have a especial word for spinning top, and some of this words are:
 aloca, apón, atintun, bailarete, bailarín, bailarina, bailarón, bailarote, bailaruja, baldofa, baldrufa, baldufa, baldufí, baldufó, balladora, ballarí, ballaruc, ballaruca, ballarufa, ballaruga, ballaruja, barallufa, baralluga, baratzcae, bébeda, bíbora, bola, bolo, bolborita, buxaina, cascarabar, cascarabil, ciba, cibo, cibota, cupoll, curcubio, curcubita, curculusac, curlu, cuscuillu, cusculaca, chiba, chompa, chombo, gabacha, galdrufa, galodrufa, gallofa, gansa, jibe, kaskarabar, kaskarabil, kurkubio, kurkubita, kuskuilu, lotzurr, mail, maila mailca, mailtxorr, mailla, moninfla, peón, peona, peonza, perindola, perinola, perolo, peuca, piao, piasca, pimpirinola, piñola, piola, pión, piona, pionza, pirindola, pirola, pirulo, piruya, piuca, pospilla, pospolina, rebaila, rebailadora, rebailota, reballadora, repeón, repeonza, repiola, repión, repiona, repionela, rimpión, rimpionza, rimponcia, rulla, sapakon, serrompa, tarusa, tornera, tortelesac, tromba, trombo, trompa, trompico, trompicón, trompiche, trompichón, trompillo, trompique, trompitxo, trompo, turtulizak, txantxanbola, txantxanpero, txantxilikote, txantxari, txoko, xarpaco, ziba, zibota, zibu, zompa, zompo y zumbique.
But this names aren`t unknown for most of the people.

Regards

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2024, 03:21:20 PM »

Oh! Thanks by the list.
 I never read that article from the user peonza.

It´s a really long and varied list of words to describe the toy...only in Spain.

According to that, the words (included in the list) "tromba" until "trompo" can be the perfect candidates from whence  the marroqui word to say trompo must be derivated.

The interesting thing it would be to know, if some people from Spain that went to Morocco, went and popularized as the game, as the word from their place of origen, some locality of Spain.