iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Belated Introduction  (Read 197 times)

Neu

Belated Introduction
« on: May 15, 2024, 09:36:36 AM »

Hello everyone!

I go by Neu. I am working full time and going to grad school as a part time student at the moment.
I bought my first spin top around February 2023, and I started playing with it for a few weeks to learn basic skills like boomerang, merry go around, crazy 8, and corkscrew. I stopped after a month, and I didn't start back up again around late August. Somehow, Youtube recommended a video by Geraldo Montero called "Trompo Geraldo Montero Rutinas." I was hooked, and I started to learn regen. Unfortunately, I gave up after a few weeks. I found out about chonkakekoma around that time, so I bought a paper one. Oh my! That top taught me sewing machine in less than two weeks. I have been playing alternating between trompo and chonkakekoma ever since. Well, I switch to koma and diabolo occasionally. It has been a hard and rewarding journey because I have to rely on poorly translated subtitles on youtube.

I have a 3d printer, so I make my spin tops out of petg and cover them with resin. I get the tips from yoyosam or request them from a spin top maker. My tops are around 2.75 to 3.9inch tops. Eventually, I would like to get a lathe and make wooden spin tops, but that's a distant dream.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Belated Introduction
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 09:48:41 AM »

Hi Neu

It's great that you found this hobby and congratulations on your progress. As you already regen, I would say you are already an advanced player!

I would definitely recommend the chonkakegoma to those wanting to learn regenerations.

I noticed your tops on your first post and I was curious but forgot to ask you about them. They look great!
The old bronze Spintastics tips that YoyoSam sells are not my favorites but they work.