iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Giant gasing video  (Read 3959 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Giant gasing video
« on: May 22, 2010, 10:51:36 PM »

A very good video showing how a Malaysian giant gasing is thrown.  The presenter says it will spin for at least one hour 35 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVer51vgDmo

I need to build a platform like that to throw mine. My record is like 2 minutes  :-[

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
Re: Giant gasing video
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 04:16:09 PM »

mmm...interesting...it seems mor  plate than a top....
this situation must inluence to its duration be so long...

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 07:13:08 PM »

I love the pedestal handles and how attentively the player set the top to rest.  Did they put oil in/on the handle?  Is there a little oily depression the tip spins in?

This could be the curling of the summer olympics...
Erratic Wobbler

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 10:02:54 PM »

The surface at the end of the handle is metallic and slightly concave. Yes, the woman put some oil on it.

This could be the curling of the summer olympics...
It would be great, except that contrary to the winter Olympics there are already too many summer sports. What they should do is replace curling with top whipping on ice. After all there must be many more whip top players than curlers.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 03:49:07 PM »

ta0: Searched as suggested then went to Google and found a giant gasing video that may be new to the forum...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsIhfmFwitw

Best for the catcher to keep on the good side of the thrower, I think. Wondering how attendees at these events pass the 2+ hours it takes for a good giant gasing to show any sign of toppling?
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 01:06:18 AM »

Good video. I not sure if we have seen that specific one before, but I recognize the place. There are many photos and videos with that back wall with horizontal openings. It is located in the Kota Bharu Culture Center. It seems to be where tourists go to see demonstrations. Kota Bharu is the capital city of the province of Kelantan, Malaysia.

I read somewhere that the slowness of the game made it difficult to attract the younger generation (at one time it was very popular). While the tops spin they talk, drink tea, smoke and eat  :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:37:17 AM by ta0 »

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 01:33:07 PM »

Me while back at the RANCH.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 03:38:46 PM »

While the tops spin they talk, drink tea, smoke and eat

Me while back at the Village (piscia)

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2024, 02:30:34 PM »

The best documentary I have seen on the Gasing Uri (flying gasing), the newer version of this game in which the top is caught directly in the air, as in a two-person boomerang, instead of from the mount. This achieves the longest spins (on the video posted 5 years ago it says that the record was 2 hours 45 minutes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLZCm59OWUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkNX-zwwS5g

The location of the videos are Pasir Puteh and Pasir Mas, both in Kalantan, in the north east corner of Malaysia, close to the border with Thailand. The video claims that this gasing originated there, in the old Jembal Kingdom.

The video has lots of information provided by Ismail Bin Mohd, aka Abang Nor, who says he is very open to teaching others how to make gasings.

The rope is embedded with sap of the Kukupu or Keruing tree, so it doesn't slip.
The rope is about 15 feet long and it takes about 12 turns to complete the wrap.

Apparently, the throw is called silat.
The player catching it in the air is called Tukang Kocok and is the most praised.
Kocok is the name given to the wooden spoon used to catch the gasing. It's only made either of wood from the Sentul or the Rambai tree.
The holder where it is transferred to continue the spin is called lopok which is then parked on the cagak

Surprisingly, the wood of the gasing doesn't have to be hard and they look for a pretty one. It is left to dry in the sun for 2 months after cutting. The example on part II is made of Bebaru wood.
The "neck" (connection between the wooden body and the head) is made of aluminum, the head itself of buffalo horn, the adorned cover of the head of silver and the long stem of aluminum.
On the bottom side there are three screws holding the head, and the tip which is made of steel.

As far as I knew, the metal used was tin, for which Malaysia is a big exporter. Ismail calls it sometimes tin, and sometimes tin lead.
But he then says that the tin comes from car batteries or chain nets for deep sea fishing. Lead acid batteries have only about 2% weight of tin and 60% weight of lead. So it would seem that the metal of the rim is in fact lead, or an alloy of mostly lead (that can contain antimony or tin)!!!

The video caption mentions that a 4 kg top cannot be more than 24 inches in diameter and if it weighs 6 kg (!) it has to be 25 to 26 inches in diameter. This is obviously a wrong conversion of units as the diameter is much less. The 2 kelantan gasings I have are 7.5" (19 cm) in diameter and weigh 3 kg and 3.7 kg.  Perhaps those should be cm, not inches, although a 6 kg, 26 cm, gasing would be a monster to throw and catch!!!!

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2024, 06:05:01 PM »

Very impressive!
I think, ta0, in another "Gasing" topic you wrote once that in former times the gasings used to have external tips. Now they seem not only to have recessed tips, but recessed to to the degree that they become spindulums that do not fall even when they do not spin. Of course such technicalities will never be discussed in documentaries of that kind. So ta0, I am afraid you will have to go on a trip to that region of the world and find out many details that are important to us.
@Iacopo: what is the longest spintime you ever reached with a spindulum? Or what would you guess could be a good time if you really try?

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2024, 09:46:38 PM »

So ta0, I am afraid you will have to go on a trip to that region of the world and find out many details that are important to us.
I think Indonesia will be first, but Malaysia would also be fantastic.

Here is a very good documentary (24 minutes long) made in 1973 that shows the old style of playing, with an external tip and scooping it from the ground (I suggest turning on the automatic translation of the captions). Interestingly, it shows that it starts with a short battle in which one player tries to hit the other player with his gasing and only if the 2 tops continue to spin, the match is decided by the last one that stays spinning. So this shows an important link in the evolution of the game, from a battle game to a duration game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQRqs9xBvmY

The metal of the rim is identified as tin and it does look more like tin than lead when melted.

At the end it also shows the elaborate ceremony to bless the gasings and also the offerings that the losing team (if it loses 7 times in a row) has to make to the winning team.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 10:09:25 PM by ta0 »