iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tops turning sideways, not straight up  (Read 8468 times)

burnt_goat

Tops turning sideways, not straight up
« on: May 18, 2010, 06:29:02 PM »

I have learned to throw a decent boomerang with smaller tops, but for the life of me I cannot throw a Spintastics Trompo Grande.  The Trompo Grande turns parallel to the ground when I throw it.  Strangely enough, I have the same problem with ALL tops when trying to throw a spinner on the ground.  They all end up hitting the ground sideways.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?  What could be causing the tops to come back sideways rather than straight up?  How could a boomerang throw be successful, but a spinner throw not be?

**as a sidenote, only I recently started throwing tops with a buddy of mine.  He has some experience throwing tops from when he was a kid, playing in the Philippines where the tops were made of wood and nails and the goal was to break your opponents top with the nail tip.  I have no prior experience throwing tops.  This forum and the Spintastics website have proven to be great resources getting started with no one to teach you in real life.  Thanks all!

MatiasStuntMan

Re: Tops turning sideways, not straight up
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 06:39:04 PM »

Hi burnt_goat and welcome, I had the same problem with the Trompo Grande, what I did was to start tilting my hand on the oposite angle, at one point the only way to throw a straight boomerang was to throw the top almost horizontal, instead of tip pointing up. Some people might suggest changing the lenght of the string, but before you do that try modifying the angle of throw.

Good luck!!!

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 06:53:37 PM »

I agree, definately try changing the angle you hold the top as you throw. You can adjust the string length too, but there is alot of trial and error involved in finding a good length, and once you cut string you can't really put it back together ;) 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 10:02:59 PM »

Welcome to the board, burnt_goat!

Are you using the string that came with the Trompo Grande? Spintastics is very good at including the right string with their tops (contrary to Duncan). It needs a longer and thicker string than a smaller top. The string length depends on the top not the height of the player. With the right length you should be able to throw it exactly the same way as the smaller top. So, if you cut or changed the string that came with it, I would encourage you to try a different string length.

The spinner throw is very similar to the boomerang throw and generally if you are successful with the later, which is more difficult, you are with the spinner. There is a little difference in ideal string length but very small. You must be doing something different with your hand.

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 01:02:34 AM »

Hi burnt_goat and welcome
Maybe this will help, on my trompo grande y use the string that came with it (very nice, helps alot), i personally think is to long, so the best way i can describe it is, i count 16-17 wraps after I wrap the top, then I count every wrap until the spintop is nicely in my hand and ready to throw
good luck

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 01:04:25 AM »

And for all you veterans (ta0, Neff, Pulp etc..), I tried counting the wraps that Salvador does on his videos, its really hard cause he does it so quick, but i count him doing 16-18 wraps, I know he is using a jumbo, but we all know that is about the same size as a trompo grande
For a Trompo this size how many wraps do you all prefer?

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 07:57:32 AM »

I'm not sure how many wraps I use (I can check when I get home) but I'm not using the Spintastics string either.  I can say that my string is about six feet long though.

Rob

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 09:49:59 AM »

When I was having problems with the Grande Dale said to tip the point back towards my hand.  It works for me.  The wind must be very tight but try changing the angle of the point at release.  Watch where the tip is pointing when it gets to your hand and then change the release angle so that the rotation will end pointing down at your hand.
Practice hard and play safe.

burnt_goat

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 10:23:02 AM »

Thanks for all the insight.  I tried changing the angle of the grande, and it seemed to get better.  I will keep practicing and hopefully get it dialed in.

Does that mean that each top/string combo will have a unique throw?  Or once you are experienced enough, do you throw all tops the same?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 10:34:22 AM »

I like to keep each top with the right string so I can throw it without thinking in compensating. But if you don't do that, yes, you may need to tweak the throw for each top/string combo or live with tops landing not pointing straight up.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 02:35:15 PM »

I like to keep each top with the right string so I can throw it without thinking in compensating.

How do you go about that? I have many tops of various sizes and can never keep the right string with the right top.  It all ends up a jumbled mess in my top carrier.

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 02:45:44 PM »

If you keep your tops in pouches, it helps.  You can also color code your strings or use different buttons to go with different tops.

Rob

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 03:08:50 PM »

If you keep your tops in pouches, it helps.  You can also color code your strings or use different buttons to go with different tops.

Rob
I am a button code-er myself.  Making the milk-cap buttons is my enabler:
http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php?topic=585.msg4912#msg4912
I took Spiningray's advice and got a 1" craft punch, with that you can make buttons out of any plastic that will go through the punch.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 07:08:46 PM »

When I first started with Trompos Grandes, I was throwing way too hard.  Might try slowing it down a bit?

I believe the SpinQueen adopted a slightly "underhand" (aka "bowling ball") throw with her QS which seems to work well too.

There are some good posts here about adjusting your throw angle to be compatible with various string lengths.

Cheers and Welcome!
Erratic Wobbler

burnt_goat

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 11:02:22 AM »

It took a combination of tips from this thread, but last night I was consistently throwing the grande.

I first adjusted the way I was holding the top.  Usually I hold the tip straight up, but when I angled the tip back towards the webbing between my thumb and index finger I would occasionally get it to come back straight.  After reading Poptop's suggestion of 'slow down', something just clicked and my throws were much more consistent. 

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  You all helped me get past a hangup that I just could not figure out myself.
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up