iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: staircase to heaven querry  (Read 641 times)

kevinm

staircase to heaven querry
« on: June 24, 2023, 05:10:44 PM »

Hello stairmasters, can anyone give me some basic tips on this trick?
First of all, do I need to try it with a heavier top? I have been practicing with a YYF short circuit, mostly because i am a coward
and i don't want to brain myself.
Secondly, what is the secret behind getting a good wire walking (climb) going? It seems impossible when looking at spintop.cz
to do a double, 8 wrap trick?!
https://youtu.be/aNCsP_26Pm0
So i guess and secrets or pitfalls to avoid would be much appreciated. Any tips would be great, pretend i don't have any idea of what i am doing.
Thanks!

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
Re: staircase to heaven querry
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 08:53:04 PM »

I would really recommend a heavier top with a diabolo type tip (I feel like I use this term a lot  ::) ) as apposed to a smaller top that might have a tendency to fly off of the string as soon as you start the trick (this is the setup I used to learn the trick). I try to think of the trick as a regeneration trick, instead of a wirewalker, but that might not work for everyone. I would also really recommend starting with only teo or three wraps around the arm to get a good feel for what needs to be done. Hopefully I explained that alright  8)

kevinm

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 09:14:00 PM »

Thank you, I was using a couple wraps to try to just get a feel for it.
Can you explain more how this is like a regen? I am obviously not in the ballpark with what I am doing and I  feel like I am missing something fundamental.

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 10:39:37 PM »

So what I try to do is actually try to start the ascension with the top intentionally slowed down slightly. Then, as the top is going up my arm, instead of trying to let it wirewalk completely on it’s on I help it up by swinging my arm around in the direction the top is going, similar to how you have to swing your arm when doing a normal corkscrew with a bearing top. This swinging motion is what regens the top enough so when it reaches the top, it has the same or even a little more spin then at the start of the trick.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 09:41:16 AM »

It's wonderful that you are learning the Staircase to Heaven, Kevin.

When I invented it in 2002, it was a wire walking trick.  In 2011 John Markus discovered that a regular corkscrew could regenerate and later he reported that his group at Cincy was regenerating the Staircase to Heaven. The setup is the same but the mechanics are different.

In the original version, you don't swing the arm and just let the top wire walk up, while on the regenerating version you pump the top with a circular movement of the arm.

For the original, I had little tension on the walk between arms so the speed was not too much when entering the staircase. Then I raised that hand what increased the tension, keeping the top bound and also making the trick more spectacular. You want a top that is a decent walker but not too fast. A light top with a diabolo tip works well (I first did it with a Spintastic Sidewinder but that is a little too fast).

For the regenerating version, a heavy top that doesn't walk too much is a better option.

Ideally, the top should end spinning on the hand above the head, but most people just pop the top at the end of the staircase.

Good luck!

kevinm

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 10:07:35 AM »

Thank you, that explains a lot. I thought I was looking at two different tricks and now I can understand why.
If I ever get any closer I will let you know!

kevinm

Tilt control question
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 12:03:42 PM »

This is probably very basic and second nature to you folks, but I have a question about keeping a top from tilting away from my arm, either going down like corkscrew, or up like staircase.
I can tell how important the tilt is going into the wraps, but I don’t have any feel for control once it starts going around my arm.
Thanks.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Tilt control question
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 03:29:09 PM »

In principle, the top should be leaning at least a little bit away from the arm or, in other words, with the tip pointing to the arm.
When you do a normal corkscrew (bearing tip) you swing the arm in sync with the normal precession of the top, the same way you do MGR.
For regular staircase to heaven or fixed-tip corkscrew, you just let the top do its thing while you keep your arm still. If the top is spinning fast enough the lean won't be much.
But for regenerating corkscrew or staircase to heaven, you will swing it hard and just pray that the bind does not release the top. The forced precession should have the tip pointing to the arm but the lean can be quite large.

kevinm

Re: Tilt control question
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2023, 04:17:30 PM »

Thank you, that makes sense. I have not tried to regen spin yet, but after reading the comments on staircase, i tried some different
tops. Wow, what a difference! With Gerardo's trompo star, it is completely different feel and much more like i thought it should be.
So for now i am focusing on doing the trick like a wire walker, and of course it is a matter of getting the mechanics down before the top
is too lazy to climb the stairs. I wanted to make sure there was not something i was missing at the end, i know it is tricky to get land the catch, but from what you said, i think i just have to work on smoothing out the ascent and then figure out how to finesse the catch.
Thanks again.

kevinm

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2023, 06:39:56 PM »

Ok, I have caught it a few times with 3 wraps and using the wire walk method, the hard part is the catch, but I think I just need more practice. I am really enjoying this Trompo Star.
Thanks for the help, it was all the difference.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2023, 11:13:47 PM »

Perseverance pays! Congratulations!