iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anybody seen a Yonetic spintop  (Read 6590 times)

pplgrande

• Superhero member
Anybody seen a Yonetic spintop
« on: May 07, 2010, 12:56:20 AM »

Anyone ever seen a Yonetic Trompo
I dont know much about them, i never seen or played with one, but it kinda looks like a duncan imperial to me
Im not sure how to do this, but here is the link so you all can see it, hopefully

http://www.juliocepeda.com/PotentiaWeb/portal/genera/VistasV2_1/VistasDBV2/VistaDetailFoto.asp?Id=609-09070.jpg&Val=1&Por=222

http://www.juliocepeda.com/PotentiaWeb/portal/genera/VistasV2_1/VistasDBV2/VistaDetailFoto.asp?Id=609-09070b.jpg&Val=1&Por=222
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:02:19 AM by ta0 »

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Anybody seen a Yonetic spintop
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 10:26:44 AM »

That's a new one to me.  Where did you find it? 

Looks like a metal tip, at least.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 01:57:44 PM »

Yonetic?  Hmmmmm.  Never heard of it!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 01:52:12 AM »

Yeah im told that it is a metal tip, I think is the competition for cometa or cinco estrellas trompos
I've been doing as much research on them as i can and so far all i found out is that they are made in mexico. mty N.L. to be more specific
they are defenetly made of plastic and they have different sizes for them
Im going to keep doing research on them and i'll keep you all posted
Im really curious to feel how one of this trompos play

johnm

• Ultrahero member
yonetic web site
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 07:57:24 PM »

Found the yonetic web site Link = yonetic

Google translator has no impact on the site so we'll need a Spanish speaker to clue some of us in, but is seems they make yoyos and tops and are introducing a plastic bolero.  A map suggests they may be marketing in Texas and California but I'm not sure.

Benito

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 08:46:26 PM »

Going to Mexico tomorrow let's see what cool tops they have  ;)
~Ben

Cattus

• Crepundia: my yo-yo and spintop collection
Re: yonetic web site
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 07:19:02 AM »

Google translator has no impact on the site so we'll need a Spanish speaker to clue some of us in, but is seems they make yoyos and tops and are introducing a plastic bolero.  A map suggests they may be marketing in Texas and California but I'm not sure.

It says they are looking for sales representatives for the distribution of their tops in the USA.
They are going to do tournaments is Mexico.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 11:59:34 AM »

I get a 404 error (page not found) on both page links :(

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 04:43:40 PM »

The url johnm posted still works, but I guess it is not currently for public view as the landing page for www.yonetic.com says "out of service".  They do have a facebook page.  I have some of their tops and they are cheaply made.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »

Cuper saw this thread and sent me more information about Yonetics. This is what I understood:

Yonetics is the direct descendant of the Duncan affiliate in Mexico.  The Duncan yo-yos were made in the plastic factory of somebody by the name of (Reifron ?) Briton. After many years there was no agreement on the terms of renewing the contract and he decides to make the yo-yos and tops on his own.  To avoid been sued by Duncan, he changes the name for the brand to Yonetics but continues using the same molds, etc.  In charge of Yonetics was Raul Juarez, who had been a Russell Coca-Cola demonstrator (together with José Barroso, the founder of 5 Estrellas).  When Juarez (who according to Cuper was a very good manager) leaves to start his own brand (he died last year), a Colombian named Manuel Carmona remains in charge of the brand.

The brand currently has promotions limited to a few cities and has a small market share, but Briton's parent plastic company is still very important in the state of Nuevo León (Monterrey).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:13:39 PM by ta0 »

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 09:29:34 PM »

continues using the same molds, etc. 
Thanks for the history Cuper.  It is a curious network of people defining the future of modern mass-produced top production.

From Ta0's previous review (link = Yonetic review)
The Yonetic tops are very simple tops but the mold is good and the tabs on mine close well
which does not sound like the Duncan Imperial mold we are familiar with.  Also there are at least two models so it seems they have expanded their product line unless they are Imperial molds of different vintages.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 11:49:25 AM »

I meant that they continued using the molds at the time they split, but I imagine they eventually made new molds.  Like Duncan, it was mainly a yo-yo company until spintops vastly surpassed yo-yos in popularity in Mexico.

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »

I have a bunch of Mexican Duncan pop tops which are really very poor.  I give them to kids.  If they are the same as the Yonetic, forget it.  Hopefully they have improved their molds.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6