iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Big Top Five  (Read 528 times)

paulstewart

• ITSA Jr.
Big Top Five
« on: January 11, 2023, 09:21:21 AM »

Big Top Five and little top Five have a new home with Bob Swaim in Pennsylvania.  Bob has a mobile bike museum and shares human powered toys.  Look for him and his awesome collection when he's at public events. 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Big Top Five
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 09:38:18 AM »

It certainly looks like a circus-inspired top. How large is it? Weight? Wood? Fixed tip?

Mm, is there a waiting list to get one of these tops?  ;)

paulstewart

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Big Top Five
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 07:09:30 PM »

Big Top Five measures 14 inch diameter x 16" tall.  Made of stack laminated pine with a 2.5 inch diameter fixed stainless steel ball tip.  Weight is approximately 6lbs. turned hollow.  Painted with oil paint and clear finish.  The new owner, Bob wanted this top even though it has some battle scratches, no compromises in structure or function though.  I do accept commissions or we can talk about details of my existing collection.  Little Five measures 2 11/16 inch diameter x 4 3/16 inch tall, solid red oak painted with oil paint.  20 Penny nail tip.  I've designed a new style tip for Big Top Six that is fixed and we really like the way it's working.  The design is intended to become the design I will use for a bearing tip on Big Tops.  Big Top Hector is currently under construction, to be about 20 inch diameter and plan to use the new fixed tip design.  I will wait till Big Top Octavia is under way to go to the machine shop to make the new bearing tip.  I've not kept up with marketing, actually dropped the ball as I loath computers.  There are pictures of hand size tops for sale on instagram@paulsriver.  Sale of these tops have funded the Big Top Experiments, work well documented by Keith Nelson and posted to YouTube.  Type Bindlestiff Cirkus The making of a Big Top in the YouTube search to get a list of short videos of our experiments.  I really appreciate the support I've received from people buying hand tops and coming to see us on stage at Bindlestiff.  We are constantly learning and thrilled to share.