iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anybody seen the Gerardo Montero instructional dvd  (Read 5310 times)

pplgrande

• Superhero member
Anybody seen the Gerardo Montero instructional dvd
« on: May 04, 2010, 03:58:28 AM »

Whats up everyone
Just wondering if anybody seen the Gerardo Montero instructional dvd, its sold by saturno trompos, kinda wanna make sure is worth the 15 euro, or is it gonna be like the spintastics one, you know really basic, im really trying to learn about regenetation, to keep the trompo spining for as long as i want, but so far no luck
there is so many different ways to keep it spinning and i cant even do one, anybody know any links to some tutorial on how to do it in detail, it would be greatly appretiated
thanks

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Anybody seen the Gerardo Montero instructional dvd
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:00:55 AM »

I haven't seen it yet (Pulp?) but I expect it to aim at a similar level than the Spintastics video, just a somewhat different set of tricks and a different approach. There is supposedly quite a bit of slow motion.

I need to revisit and expand my old tutorials but there is not much more on the internet about how to learn to regenerate.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:45:39 AM »

It is amazing how much there is on the internet now.  Many thanks to ta0 for all his work in organizing top tricks and getting them out there so people can learn from them.  He has some great regeneration videos showing different angles.  And when I google or youtube or vimeo top spinning it is exciting to see what's on the internet.  Of course, other words (like trompo and toupie) and combination of words bring out even more vids.  You might want to do some more exploring before you look to buy a dvd.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:28:57 AM »

I haven't seen it yet (Pulp?)

Now. I hope to own it in a sooner meeting.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:43:32 AM »

pplgrande -  I had the same desires when I wasn't getting rollercoaster.  I actually had a post drafted, begging someone on this forum to do an overhead shot of rollercoaster... then all of the sudden I got it.  One thing I was doing wrong; I was trying to keep the top still, centered at my waste, and my left hand wasn't getting involved, it was too still.  It is a 3 dimensional movement, keeping the force of the string ahead of the precession just like when you balance it in your hand.

BTW, I learned drumbeat long before I got rollercoaster.  This is not normal, I am told.  :D
For me, the range of motion is simpler, the catch is simpler, the only difficult thing is getting the string out of the way before the catch.  Also, I'm pretty good with a diablolo, so the motion was a little more familiar too.

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 06:58:08 PM »

Thanks you all
Yeah i wasnt sure about spending the 15 euro, specially cause im passed the begginer level.
and yeah that rollercoaster is always beating me, i cant seem to make it catch any speed, i have tried with alot of different trompos for the different points, and I still cant seem to get it
Im gonna try what neff was explaining and see if that helps me, thanks neff
And the internet is defenetly a great source for new a different tricks, i just finally learned el automatico (automatic), thanks to pulp and one of his tutorials, i havent master it yet, but he shows in detail how to hold the trompo, incredibly good help

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 09:56:22 PM »

Practice picking up the spinning top off the ground with the string then jerking it back to your hand.  I think this is one of the best ways to get the feel;  It's like Roller coaster training wheels...
Erratic Wobbler

MatiasStuntMan

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 11:16:35 PM »

I think is worth buying it, even if it is very basic, Gerardo is a great artist, and that will be my way to offer my support, and if he gets a good response from the basic video he might create a more advanced one from where we can really learn some amazing stuff like the tricks that we have seen him performing on the internet for free.
I think that people like Gerardo are the ones that really keep the art of the Top Spinning moving, specially their willingness to teach, and because of my love to the art of Top I'm not asking if it is worth buying the DVD, my question is how many can I buy.
Look how much good the video from "How to be a player" has done for the art, we still get amazed by what Chris Neff can do, and I hope that Gerardo's video will have the same impact on younger generations and help on keeping the art that we love so much alive.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 11:33:10 PM »

I agree, the video should be worth having. It won't be just basic but also intermediate and I bet some parts will be advanced for most players here. I will get it and I am sure I will learn plenty of stuff, including small details for tricks I already can do well.

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 08:50:57 PM »

I agree, now that i see a different point of view, but i wasnt really concerned about the 15 euro, i was more interested on how advanced the tutorial was, cause after watching the spintastics dvd I realize that is directed towards begginers, now there are some parts where Herman does his routine and thats pretty impressive.
On the other hand, is not really about how advanced the dvd is, is about supporting the sport, we all know Gerardo its defenetly a very talented player
Its just a shame that the only instructional dvd that features Gerardo is trompos saturno, which from what i understand is a company mainly based towards spain, because if you ever played with a saturno, it feels really good but its nowhere like a ultra or orion, etc. and ultra, orion etc. is based towards mexico, witch is what you normaly see Gerardo using on his videos
If somehow there was a way to produce a Gerardo Montero advanced trompo turorial, with alot o detail, i think we would have a winner
There is a few slow motion and detail tutorials i've seen made by Salvador, Pulpowsky, Ta0, Neff, and others, and those help in a incridible way, at least to me

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 10:03:34 PM »

I don't think the DVD is Trompos Space or any other spintop manufacturer project. I believe this is completely Gerardo's project. So I don't think (most) of the tops would be Saturnos. For example, I imagine in the bonus section Cuper used his own tops. Fortunately, Javier from TS is very open to things that promote the sport even if they are not branded by him. By the way, Cuper, who is helping Gerardo with the logistics, told me that there may be minor adaptations to the US market.

ASOCIACION ANTEQUERA

• ASOCIACION ANTEQUERA
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »

I have seen Gerardo Montero's dvd last April, since he has come to Antequera and Malaga (Spain) to visit the children's colleges and other centers of the region. The video dvd really is worth it so sample three levels different from difficulty in the tricks or movements that it teaches. It begins for the simplest and ends in more complicated others. The regeneration also is included in the dvd. I think that yes it is worth buying someone and having it to learn. In Spain it is possible to buy in tops - space of "Saturn". In Antequera also we have them in "Montenegro".
 Regards to all of Sebastián.
 Association Antequerana of the Top.
Sebastián