iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Where do you spin tops?  (Read 5576 times)

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Where do you spin tops?
« on: April 28, 2010, 04:06:41 PM »

[Admin note: split form this topic]

This thread begs 2 questions:
1) Where do you usually spin tops and
2) What's the coolest, strangest, or unlikeliest place you've ever spun tops?

For me;
1) My living room
2) Diamond Head Volcano on Oahu Hawaii
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:30:47 PM by ta0 »
Erratic Wobbler

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
Re: Where do you spin tops?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 04:23:30 PM »

1) Where do you usually spin tops and

1)  Usually I spin tops outside my laboratory in the hallway.  Unfortunately the surface is not very forgiving!  We spin our large tops near what Mike deemed the infamous dumpster at UC.

2)  We have a seven foot deep pit in our lab that I spun a boomerang while standing in it.  Unfortunately there were no pictures.  I also spun one throw while in parked traffic on I-75 just north of Atlanta.  My wife told me I should stop because it embarrassed her.  (Tops are not for the weak at heart!!)

I too have spun a top on a rooftop.  Well the top of my apartment's garage port.  Unfortunately, Neff, it did not seem to help me at all. :-\
"Could switching to GEICO really save you 15 percent or more on car insurance?"

...Is a top in the hand worth two on the floor?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 04:53:18 PM »

1. I spin the most in my home office, followed by the backyard.

2. Mmm, what about a nudist beach (Chihuahua, Uruguay) several years ago?  We asked for directions to a topless beach but got a little more . . . ??? :-[  8)

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »

ta0 - I knew those pictures were cropped!!!

1) guess  :D
2) in front of a plywood cow in Tallahassee

(I hope to improve number 2)

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:36:44 PM »

Practice-- wherever, livingroom front lawn.
I was wracking my brain for the most unusual place.  With 49 years to choose from--wow.  Several come to mind but the most enjoyable was on the street in Japan at a big celebration of some sort.  I remember hitting a 2 1/2" tuna can 10 out of 11 tries.  The people had not seen any tricks with the tops as such and were quite impressed.  Also spun in a school assembly in Japan.  Had a ball with the kids. :D
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 09:33:20 PM »

Two come to mind - one - a moving elevator because it was fun to think about the actual path of the boomerang in real space.  I also once managed to do it in an airplane - the top geeks version of the "mile high" club?  Again - fun to picture the top's path through real space.  Of course every top spin takes place in a moving space, making every top spin/trick a delightful problem in the physics of movement through space!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

Romano911

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:11:19 PM »

1) I have a nice sized den / rec room where I prefer to throw, but I use my home office / study as well.
2) At the summit of Mt. Masada in Israel, among the Roman-era ruins there.  (I yo-yoed there too :) )

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 10:45:33 PM »

Masada!  I was there....but it was twenty years before I learned to throw a top.  You have me on that one Romano911.

1) I spin a lot in our computer room, a decent sized space just off our dining room.  It has good vibes since this is where Dale Oliver slept several times.

2) For me, the most unusual places are in our church belltower (steeple), in Paris with Jim (no tractors around at the time) and at a Mediterranean beach in Italy when we were taking some time to relax from Rome.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 09:28:01 AM »

I also spun one throw while in parked traffic on I-75 just north of Atlanta.
Hemingsoft, I once debated in getting out of the car to throw a top while stuck in a traffic jam but I could not gather the courage to do it: good for you!

I also once managed to do it in an airplane - the top geeks version of the "mile high" club?
Silvertop: was that a boomerang? :o What type of airplane was it? The boomerang inside a moving elevator is something I need to try, although a trapeze would be easier in a small one.

Last week I did a trick inside a "hurricane simulator" (you put 2 dollars to experience hurricane wind speeds). Unfortunately I lost control while I was still in the tropical storm wind range. Yes, there is video  ;)

ta0 - I knew those pictures were cropped!!!
The only picture I have (but need to find it) is by the sign before entering that says that clothing and cameras are not allowed. And yes, I have my HP spinning on the hand.

Zeemo

• Gold Member
  • Zeemo The Magnificent
    • Zeemo Production
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 10:19:44 AM »

I spent a lot of time practicing on the Diag at the University of Michigan.  For years it has been a place where "fringe" groups feel a home.  On any day you might see drummers, break dancers, jugglers, unicyclists, or musicians doing their thing.

The coolest place I ever spun tops was in Greenfield Village in front of Wilbur and Orville Wrights bicycle shop.  I did a week of shows there a few years ago and the visitors had no idea what you could do with a top.

Eric

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • Eric's Photo Website
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 01:00:16 PM »

1) Where do you usually spin tops - In the family room.....however, I'm not allowed to throw anything bigger that 6" there......I once hit the big flat screen with an 8" top (no damage), hence the size restriction.
2) What's the coolest, strangest, or unlikeliest place you've ever spun tops? - Standing on the Great Wall of China.....I yo-yoed there too!

To everything turn, turn, turn..................

MatiasStuntMan

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 03:27:54 PM »

I spend hours at night watching tv and spinning my tops at the same time, very relaxing, reminds me when I used to do my homework from school in front of the tv when I was a kid.

The coolest place was on the ice in the middle of White Bear Lake in Minnesota, for the northern kids to play at a frozen lake is no big deal, but for us tropicals it is amazing and very weird and cool

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 07:44:26 AM »

This is a terrific thread.  Thanks for starting this, poptop.  I remember trying to get some responses to this quite a while back but there didn't seem to be much interest in talking about it.  Congrats to this forum and ta0 for the increase in participation in these kind of discussions.  It's great to be a part of this group!!!

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 11:17:19 AM »

I am still thinking about the most unusual place.  I usually practice in the basement, but I spin the most when at a gig.  Schools, Library, parties, Cub Scouts, trade shows, theaters, festivals, fairs, any fun event.  We did a Med cruise this year and during the trans Atlantic flights the aft galley is big enough that I entertained the flight attendants for about 30 minutes.  But they only pay peanuts.
Practice hard and play safe.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 04:45:20 AM »

1) Where do you usually spin tops?

Outdoor into an soft grass park. Or indoor into the trompiarium.

Certainly, into a room of my mother in law house, during a relatives meeting.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro