iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Combine Gyroscope,Spintop,Yoyo,Fidget Spinner=SpinX  (Read 2665 times)

Taka

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
    • SPINGEAR--Yoyo,Spintop,Kendama,Diabolo Store
Yoyo,Koma(Kyoku,Chonkake,traditional,all kind),Spintop player.
Taka from Tokyo

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: Combine Gyroscope,Spintop,Yoyo,Fidget Spinner=SpinX
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 10:40:05 PM »

VERY cool!
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 02:15:28 AM »

I really love this idea! If I had some spare cash I would definitely back it....

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 03:54:20 AM »

salut Taka

great project
you're an engineer but also ingenious :-)

good day

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Armando (elprofedeltrompo)

• ITSA
    • https://www.youtube.com/@Elprofedeltrompo
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 08:47:21 AM »

Genial!!!!

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 01:31:37 AM »

I am supporting this project!
And being me I just had to ask Taka "the question" about spin time. Here is the answer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lxg0derEyI

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 09:33:21 AM »

I received it yesterday. Great quality, as always!  8)
The mini yo-yo is very cute and is a pleasure to play. But the review of the top and gyro will have to wait until I find the little bearing the rolled somewhere and disappeared  >:(

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 01:28:31 PM »

(I found the bearing I had lost.)

I would say that the main interest is a yo-yo. It's very playable but also challenging due to its small size. It has a relatively large gap and long spin bearing, but it's still a responsive yo-yo.

As a spintop I think the small tip height limits its interest. It works mostly as a finger top, except that you have to use the string to start it. Although you can lift it by the hub stack, the clearance to grab it with the fingers is small.

Works well as a fidget spinner (but it's still just a fidget spinner  :P  >:D)

As a gyroscope you can do the basic stuff well. However, when I tried to make it run on a fishing line (the slot is too small for the yo-yo string), I couldn't successfully go any appreciable distance. It does display very nicely on the shelf  :D

Something I didn't like is that the hub stacks are very tight and very difficult to remove using the fingers. I used curved snap-ring-pliers to push them from below as I was concerned of grabbing them with pliers from the sides.

One nice extra is a wrench to help with the assembly. It seems to be custom made.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:40:08 PM by ta0 »

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 02:00:10 PM »

Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I am looking forward to it!
Thank you for your review ta0.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 10:34:48 AM »

Soooo,  mine also arrived yesterday!
Very nice, very fun to play with, thank you Taka!

As ta0, I think I will mainly use it as a yo-yo.
This is my first metal yo-yo, also it is my first yo-yo ever that has Hub Stacks.

As a spintop I will use it the least I think.

As a fidget spinner I can confirm long spin times as Taka reported. The one try where I measured the time with a stopwatch gave me a spin duration of 11min 42 sec
Those bearings really are amazing!

As a gyroscope I had it spinning for around nine minutes. In this mode the friction of two bearings make it slow down faster then in the fidget spinner case.
@ta0: I don't know the trick where you let the gyro run on a fishing line. Can you point me to some video please?

Yes the Hub Stacks fit tight! I also could not get them off only with my fingers. I used a piece of string under them to pull them off.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 11:17:02 AM by ortwin »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 10:15:05 AM »

@ta0: I don't know the trick where you let the gyro run on a fishing line. Can you point me to some video please?

I was referring to a common trick with toy gyroscopes that consists on standing the gyro on a slanted string, using a slot at the tip, and having it walk downwards. I tried to use the slot on the head of the bolts on the axis of the gyro. Here is an ad for a Wizard Monorail Jumping Top with a two wheel carriage that claimed to go 100 feet on a wire:

At 0:08 you can see the Wizzzer on the string:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sgb0dgezk4

Yes the Hub Stacks fit tight! I also could not get them off only with my fingers. I used a piece of string under them to pull them off.
I tried to use the string trick first, but I pulled the hub stack together with the bearing. Fortunately, it didn't damage the O-ring.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 10:23:06 AM by ta0 »

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 11:11:36 AM »

.....Here is an ad for a Wizard Monorail Jumping Top with a two wheel carriage that claimed to go 100 feet on a wire:.....

Hm, but this one has a vehicle with wheels, so quite different...

ta0:"At 0:08 you can see the Wizzzer on the string:"

Yes, but it does not run on the line it just stands there, with that I was familiar.

ta0:"I tried to use the string trick first, but I pulled the hub stack together with the bearing. Fortunately, it didn't damage the O-ring."

My guess is that that was when you lost the bearing as you mentioned?
With my first try the bearing also almost came off and the O-ring got caught between bearing and axle, luckily my O-ring also survived that torture.

Edit: in this video at 1:17 it is a "regular"  wire walker I think that Taka is showing.
https://youtu.be/DgeQzVBETm8?t=77

« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 11:41:55 AM by ortwin »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2022, 01:31:21 PM »

ta0:"At 0:08 you can see the Wizzzer on the string:"
Yes, but it does not run on the line it just stands there, with that I was familiar.

Edit: in this video at 1:17 it is a "regular"  wire walker I think that Taka is showing.
https://youtu.be/DgeQzVBETm8?t=77

Yes, that it's a regular wire walker that Taka shows.

The wire sliding trick was one of the tricks on the official Wizzzer trick list:

I just tried it and could make it slide on a string for about 20 cm. I'm sure I can get a longer distance, but it requires good control of a top on a string. I doubt many kids (any?) were successful with a string tied between two chairs, as suggested in the instructions.

Edit: I just realized that the Wizzzer instructions only mention "walk" as part of the name (tightrope walk) and don't say that the string had to be slanted. Maybe you are right and it was not meant to walk but just to stay on the string. :-\
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 01:40:06 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2022, 12:26:17 AM »

This discussion about tops and gyros running on strings, reminded me a very old top that we discussed here:
1869 slit tip top
. I tried the trick and it worked perfectly (much better than a Wizzzer) and could slide the top back and forth many times.
I did cheat a little as I used a fishing line although monofilament didn't exist in 1869.

From the patent description:
The top being set in rapid motion by any of the ordinary modes, and the forked end of the spindle placed on a slightly-inclined line, the top will move down the incline while it continues in motion.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2022, 04:03:16 AM »

...I tried the trick and it worked perfectly (much better than a Wizzzer) and could slide the top back and forth many times.
Sorry, I do not really get it: What worked perfectly here? That old top from  Daniel Lassanske's collection or this new thing from Taka? If it was the Taka gyro, what did you change from what you describe in reply #8 (the number refers to what I see...)?