iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Peg top progress log of ortwin and random questions  (Read 17147 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Peg top progress log of ortwin and random questions
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2022, 11:38:27 PM »

Very nice, Ortwin! You are now officially a trick player!  ;)
The form will improve with practice.
You might want to learn and film the 8 tricks from the first Spintastic patch. You are only missing Arm Walker and Crazy-8, which are easy to do once you can do the other 6.
http://www.ta0.com/papyrus/pdf/toppatchapplication.pdf

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2022, 04:01:47 AM »

You might want to learn and film the 8 tricks from the first Spintastic patch. You are only missing Arm Walker and Crazy-8,
Alright I will update my list by those two tricks but I am not really interested in the patch since I have my own kebab-patch now  :P .
So my updated extended long  goal list of tricks I want to be able to do with a bearing top one day:
  • spinner
  • target
  • big scoop
  • sky rocket
  • boomerang
  • boomerang under leg
  • hacky top
  • merry go round
  • pole dancer
  • crazy 8
  • trapeze
  • gyroscopic flop
  • corkscrew
  • mach 5
  • upside down merry go round
All that should keep me busy for a while

My updated goals for fixed tip top:
  • target
  • boomerang
  • arm walker
  • wire walker
  • short circuit
  • some type of regeneration
Edit on April 21st 2022: Another update and extension on my goal list. This should all be tricks for a fixed tip top, right?
  • Around the world    (because it looks easy once the trapeze is solid)
  • Cable car   (because it looks so cool)
  • Hop the fence   (for completeness)
  • Lasso   (this seems like the opener to yet another category of tricks)
  • Whip   (this seems like the opener to yet even another category of tricks)
  As regeneration I consider at least one of the following: Roller Coaster, Drumbeat, Orbits, Barrel rolls, Sewing Machine. Depending on what feels most effective and at the same time doable for me.
If I am not mistaken, this list is now the same as this one.  In addition to the Neff list, this one also has the "pole dancer" that ta0 recommended plus the "upside down merry go round" that Kirk and Texture suggested.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 02:00:25 AM by ortwin »

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2022, 11:39:40 AM »

Ha! With that list, but without the regeneration trick, you would officially be an intermediate player. I would say that gyroscopic flop, corkscrew and trapeze are the most challenging, in that order.
A regeneration trick is next level and would make you an advanced player.  ;)

Officially, arm walker should be done with a fixed-tip top. The friction of the tip can slightly help with the walking (if you lean the arm to the correct side) so you can in theory make it walk with the forearm pretty horizontal. In practice everybody elevates the arm and it has little difference with the trick done with a bearing top.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2022, 02:22:39 PM »

Officially, arm walker should be done with a fixed-tip top. The friction of the tip can slightly help with the walking (if you lean the arm to the correct side) so you can in theory make it walk with the forearm pretty horizontal. In practice everybody elevates the arm and it has little difference with the trick done with a bearing top.
With my bearing top and some elevation of the arm the trick really does not seem too hard, it worked surprisingly well on the one try I gave it today, with the little jump back to the palm and all.
-
The other trick I worked on a bit today was that "pole dancer". For that trick I still have to find out exactly when which part of the string should go where. It is a bit like knitting already. I am trying to do it similar to the way Jim is showing in that video you (ta0) posted: wind around the "pole" a few times, unwind after an intermediate exchange of upper and lower hand, land it back on the palm. But I try to use the same string I start the top with.
One time today I got quite close, the landing part at the end was missing.
-
With the wooden fixed tip top I worked towards the boomerang. Still very very varying results! Like, five times it just rolls of on the ground to somewhere, then it rolls three times back to my feet, two times it goes three meters up in to the air and comes down two meters away from me ...The best I could do today was to catch it once in maybe 50 tries - I mean catch it so that it still spun for a bit laying in my hand, not landing it like a boomerang. Oh, well I will progress! If not I come back asking for help.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 06:44:04 AM by ortwin »

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2022, 09:11:50 PM »

heeyy! that one is one "trompo" of meat al "pastor" for tacos. Luckily, In this november 2022 I celebrate 10 years no eating any kind of meat.  8)

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2022, 10:49:37 PM »

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2022, 02:53:14 PM »

Today I received a package from Jim in Paris. He sent some very nice things to me. Thank you Jim!
A Koma, a nice Yo-Yo and two peg tops.
One of the peg tops is a Spintastic Blizzard with a bearing metal tip. My first throw with that one was a nice boomerang tight away. I feels very energy loaded in comparison to my Saturno Roller from Trompos Space.
The other one that reminds me of a salt shaker is a cute little CUPER top with fixed metal tip. Lovely!
It is so quiet in comparison to my bearing tops! With this one I can practice now for the "correct" arm walker and that wire walker from hand to hand.

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2022, 04:21:06 PM »

Nice tops!

It is so quiet in comparison to my bearing tops!

??? I'm confused. Normally the spintastics blizzards are louder than the trompos space bearing tops....  ???

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2022, 04:29:54 PM »

Sorry, it seems I was not being 100% clear.
"It is so quiet in comparison to my bearing tops!"
Was actually describing the CUPER fixed tip top at that point. So no wonder it is quiet in comparison to the Bearing King the Saturno and the Spintastic Blizzard.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2022, 08:58:43 AM »

Progress: Today I could do the "arm walker" with the little CUPER fixed tip top for the first time. Complete with the jump back to the palm where I could land and control it.
With the wooden fixed tip top that Rocco made for me I could for the first time land a boomerang!
Incidentally it is exactly one month ago today (and also exaclty four weeks) that I touched a peg top for the first time at Jim's place in Paris.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 06:42:33 AM by ortwin »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2022, 09:19:29 AM »

Congratulations on your new acquired skill! You are doing great!

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2022, 11:18:43 AM »

Yeah! And another "first" today: I managed to do the complete "pole dancer" for the first time!
I was using the Spintastic Blizzard that Jim sent.It probabely did not make a difference, but I had three little steel balls inserted in the top. They might or might not help balancing.By now I have quite a few tricks that I did at least once, but it will be a while until I feel I can do them so reliably that it is worth trying to film.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2022, 08:54:41 AM »

The Spinner
https://youtu.be/ljOFt_RKfEA
My first throw of the day with that top.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2022, 09:43:41 AM »

Good idea and execution! 8)

PS: You are left-handed, aren't you?

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2022, 10:57:18 AM »

Good idea and execution! 8)
Thank you, but as I said, it was really the very first throw of the day with that top and also the best one. It only got worse after that.
PS: You are left-handed, aren't you?
Exactly, left-handed for throw-tops, but right handed for finger-tops.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up