iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anybody around St. Paul this weekend?  (Read 3566 times)

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Anybody around St. Paul this weekend?
« on: April 15, 2010, 11:14:18 PM »

I'm heading to St. Paul tomorrow for the Mondo juggling/unicyclist festival.  Any other spinners going?  Look for the banner with the couch on it.  I won't be far from that. 

http://www.mondofest.org/festival

rick

MatiasStuntMan

Re: Anybody around St. Paul this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 12:05:21 PM »

Yes, Me!!! Finally I will meet a real Top spinner, I will be there!!! Are you going to be a vendor?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:52:01 PM »

I'm glad to hear about this MatiasStuntMan.  We will all be anxious to hear how it all turns out.  A full report when you return would be much appreciated!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 10:15:15 AM »

MatiasStuntMan, no I'm no vendor, but me and my stuff are going to be at about mid-gym, where all the clubs are on the floor  ;D  If you walk around with a top, I'll find you.  Look for tops on the floor too.  Hope we can find each other.

rick

MatiasStuntMan

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 09:09:15 PM »

I was able to be there only on Sunday at noon and unfortunately I didn't have the chance to meet Rick, but I meet a lot of jugglers, and there were a lot of unicyclists as well. I did a couple of tricks (mostly boomerangs, because of scenic panic) and some people were interested in learning about tops, interesting enough nobody that I talked with had ever seen a top before, and I realized that just binding the top is a daunting task for a new person, now I understand why Tops aren't popular at all since they have to compete against too many other skill toys that are easier to learn, like yoyos, diabolos, clubs or unicycles. I tried some diabolos and a vendor was kind enough to show me the different types, with bearing, no bearing, etc, and it is a pretty cool toy, and even though I did learn how to spin it and throw it in the air I promise myself not to buy one, I don't want to distract myself away from Tops. I couldn't attend on Saturday but they told me that the Saturday night show was unbelievable, with a lot of juggling on unicycles. I will try to be there for next year's event. I will post some videos that I shoot there soon.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 08:11:14 AM »

Thanks for the report.  So sorry you did not get to meet lincolnrick.  He's a great guy to spin tops with.  It sounds like you had a good time, though, and got to try lots of things.

I haven't been to a juggling festival in a while and I miss it.  They are always full of all kinds of activity and new ideas.

Congratulations on not being distracted from your top spinning!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 08:21:29 PM »

Matias, we might have passed each other on Sunday.  I was there at 10:00 am. but on my way out the door at noon for the drive home.  Maybe next year.

Mondo was a great festival this year, and you're right the Sat night show was very good.  Lots of variety acts, like free standing ladders, unicycling (group/duos/solos), comedy juggling and more.

Nick is a friend from K.C. that is a very good spinner, he and I got together a bunch, we also helped three of the K.C. folks either firm up their skills or get them started.  So the ranks keep growing!

Speaking of Kansas there's another juggling festival coming up at the end of the month, in Manhattan KS.  Nick and I and perhaps Chad Lunders will be there.  Anybody around the area, here's the link:

http://www.k-state.edu/juggle/

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 10:19:22 PM »

I am K-State alumnus (cough*agentsac*cough).  I spent 4 years in Manhattan, the "Little Apple".  I got my Architecture degree there in 1997.  I am very tempted to join y'all, but I have a 2-day disc golf tornament in St. Louis that weekend  :'(

That reminds me, in How to be a Player, in the out-takes at the end, you might have heard me say something about community service at the zoo, while Steve was laughing is arse off.  Nevermind why I was doing community service, but you all should know it was in Manhattan KS, and the rest of the story leading up to that line, was that I was nearly raped by emus while at that zoo.  Good times.