iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: replacement Mexi-Turbo tips?  (Read 5496 times)

Dizzy

• ITSA Jr.
replacement Mexi-Turbo tips?
« on: March 15, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »

Are any of you crafty types out there willing and able to make delrin replacement tips for the Mexican bearing tops from Salvador?  And if so, do you have any idea what you might charge for them?

I'm interested in tips for both the 1st and 2nd gen style tips.

Anyone?

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: replacement Mexi-Turbo tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 11:02:06 PM »

Do they come out?

Dizzy

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 11:58:32 PM »

Chris-

Yes, the tips come out of both tops.

The 1st gen comes with one spare tip.  The 2nd gen has no spare, but it's tip still comes off.

I've already cracked 1 of the tips for my 1st gen on the floor.  I think that's a bad sign.  Ta0 said he cracked a tip already too.  It seems like this might end up being an Achilles heel for this top.  I'm not that worried about the tips for the 2nd gens as they are a much more resillient-feeling material.

Thanks

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 01:15:12 AM »

I don't have a first gen turbo, so I'm not sure what kind of animal we are dealing with here.  I can't tell much from ta0's pic, but is that thing hollow where it goes in the top?  I just started with my turnin' skills, not sure I want to take that project on yet.  If somebody does it for you I think you'll have to send the whole top to them so they could copy the body's angle and bottom diameter where it meets the tip.

Dizzy

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:41:37 AM »

Chris-

Yes, the top of the tip is hollowed out where it snap-fits up into the top body and around the bearing which sits flush at the base of the top body.  A local machine shop here in Pensacola said they would take a crack at it and that they would in fact need the whole top to make sure everything fits right.  The only problem is he initially threw out an estimate of 6 to 8 dollars a tip for like 25 of them.  Ouch.

I'll go see the guy today to see if I can get a firm price from him.  Hopefully it will not be as high as his estimate.

I really like the way that 1st gen turbo plays and it may be worth it to me to bite the bullet here.

Or perhaps it's a better option for me to try to find a YYJ Top Dog instead of paying half-again the price of a top for a new tip.

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 04:04:43 PM »

That's not a terrible price for a machine shop to charge.  You're probably looking at a couple of hours measuring, plus machine time so round that out to 3 hours at $60/hr.  $180 for 25 tips comes out to $7.20 a tip.

Rob

Dizzy

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 07:15:17 PM »

robtsou-

It's not that I think the price is unreasonable.  It just might not make any sense on my end.  I met with the guy today and after he saw the tip he said that it was slightly more complex than he was anticipating.  He said that it might end up being as much as 10 bucks per tip for 25 or 50.  He said if I only want one tip it would be 60 bucks for materials and labor.  And I don't think that's unfair either.  But I still wouldn't do it.

Would anybody out there with one of these 1st gen Mexi-turbos be interested in a few delrin tips at 8-10 bucks each?  If I can get close to 25 spoken for I'll go ahead and lay the cash out and get them made.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:52:15 PM by Dizzy »

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 10:23:37 PM »

I didn't mean to infer that you thought the price was unreasonable, I was just doing the math.   A lot of people don't get the vagaries of manufacturing small runs of things that you wouldn't expect to pay a lot for.

Rob

Dizzy

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 11:50:47 PM »

Rob-

You're right on the money.  Literally.

It's all about volume.  If we spent $1500 on tooling and had some molding shop run us a few thousand of these tips we could get our unit cost way, way down.  Wanna go in with me?  We'll make a killing.

But seriously, you are right.  Short-run custom work is expensive and that's a fact.

Cale     

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:12:43 AM by Dizzy »

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 11:04:59 PM »

It should be another tip of replacement.
You can tie the tip in order can be more fitted.

If you donĀ“t solve the problem, I make you arrive another top.

Thanks.

Dizzy

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 12:09:03 AM »

I bought two of these tops so I started out with a total of four tips.  I have broken two and I managed somehow to lose one.  It popped off during a strong boomerang outside.  I looked and looked for it but no dice.  I always check to make sure the tip is securely seated over the bearing before I throw it now so that should solve that problem.  But breakage is still an issue.

I'm now down to just one tip and I'm terrified to use it inside with my hard floors for fear of breaking my last tip.  It's too bad really because it's my favorite bearing-top so far.

BTW, what do you mean I can tie the tip?