iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: questions about that one regen that's repeating suns  (Read 496 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: questions about that one regen that's repeating suns
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 10:35:51 PM »

On this video it's very clear what's going on, specially because the top doesn't block the view of the tip. And it made me change my mind again!  ;D
I would definitely call this a variation for wheel of fortune/suns, and it's new as far as I know. For me it has all the fundamental mechanics that make the wheel of fortune work, which are not present in the orbits or roller coasters.

It just needs a name  ;)

I sent a link to Gus to see what he thinks.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 09:46:09 AM »

Gus liked it. He will try it when he gets hold of bigger tops as he only has small tops where he is now.

He also said they look like orbits. I guess it depends if you focus on what the string does (orbits) or what the top does (suns). 

What's going to be the name of the trick?

ortwin

• Superhero member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 11:46:08 AM »

... string does (orbits) or what the top does (suns). 

:o surbit
"It’s not as important where we stand, as in what direction we are moving." – Oliver Wendell Holmes

Daveid

• ITSA
  • pinwheels
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 01:48:04 PM »

oh i dunno, what do you think of "lunar cycle" or "lunar days" I'd say lunar orbits but that would imply something orbiting the moon, if i ever learn to do them behind the back then it would be more appropriate...
oh actually after looking at a glossary for terms relating to lunar stuff i think the term "eccentric orbits" probably fits better.
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

Daveid

• ITSA
  • pinwheels
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2021, 01:56:22 PM »

also just a note: it seemed better to use a string smaller than i should be using for the specific top i was using, i think if i move to a smaller top it'll have to be with a thinner/lighter string

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2021, 03:55:22 PM »

oh i dunno, what do you think of "lunar cycle" or "lunar days" I'd say lunar orbits but that would imply something orbiting the moon, if i ever learn to do them behind the back then it would be more appropriate...
oh actually after looking at a glossary for terms relating to lunar stuff i think the term "eccentric orbits" probably fits better.
I personally would prefer lunar orbits as it's more descriptive in the sense that they go up (like shooting at the moon yo-yo trick).
Or perhaps just "Moons" or "Lunas".
If I was you, I would think a little longer. It deserves a good name.

Texture

• ITSA
  • Split that top!
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2021, 01:12:13 AM »

How about one time around can be called moons, or lunas, since it is a reverse sun, and the continuous version can be named something else?