iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Whip Tops  (Read 3557 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Whip Tops
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 07:39:26 PM »

Thanks Zeemo!

I wonder what those tops did to deserve so much flagellation  :P

Of the bunch, I found the one below really fascinating; I would like to know more about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHfODDSAHo

The center top is huge!

I wonder if a whip top could be made like a drum and whip it (two handed) to play it.  Jim, you should suggest that to Didier . . .

I would like to see one day somebody control the top with the whip, throwing it up in the air or to a target. That could be the base of a game. The old whip tops in the shape of a mushroom used to be called window breakers because they tended to be grabbed by the whip and flown out.

I still have to check the links on the posts by Whiptop while I was gone on the previous thread on the subject. But lately we have had a surge of whiptop info. By the way, at a rodeo in Uruguay I bought a kind of whip called rebenque used by the gauchos (cowboys). Of course, I looked for one that looked top-ready  ;D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:40:58 PM by ta0 »

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 10:02:17 PM »

Great recopilation Zeemo!!!
I think that this is the most ancient, the eldest way known by the man to regenerate a spinning top...and I can´t do it!!! :'(
To get one of those tops is now a real purpose....so, when my wife makes me angry, instead to vent my anger against her, I will play whit my whiplash top... :D

Zeemo

• Gold Member
  • Zeemo The Magnificent
    • Zeemo Production
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:58:48 AM »

I have a drawing that was given to me by Mike Brown, a juggler / friend who found it while attending a european juggling festival about 20 years ago.  I don't know what country he found it in.  Le Sabot means "the wooden shoe".  Can anyone make some sense of that?
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3732864&id=132470454028

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 11:33:57 AM »

Great drawing Zeemo. How much would something like that weigh if it were real? Maybe a large battery powered gyroscope on which you could balance. Aluminum might work.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 03:11:54 PM »

I am having lunch at Bennett’s in downtown Miamisburg and in walked John W. O’Gorman.  He came to one of our earlier festivals (I am guessing 2003 or 2004) with a whip top that whistled and told us stories of spinning tops in Ireland.  He just gave me one of his cards with a list of books he has written.  He also confirmed that it was the city of Sneem where he whipped a top from one side of town to the other including over a bridge!!!  I showed him these videos and he smiled at the activity.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!