iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Doing a wire walker with a bearing top (video)  (Read 1515 times)

Hydrona

Re: Doing a wire walker with a bearing top (video)
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2021, 04:53:18 AM »

Hello folks,
A few days ago I did a normal wirewalker with a fixed top. It was amazing!
Going to practice some more today. I noticed my skin on my finger got a bit harder.
Mostly because when I wrap my wooden top, I need to add a little pressure on the string. Otherwise the string slides off.
The string is pressed against the side of my finger and so it get a bit tough.
No worries, I actually just think it's better than band aids.
It started out like a sore spot after playing, but now I don't have any problems any more. Just a small spot, nothing big.

I once read that on the Yoyo threads too, on Yoyoexpert.  Your finger gets used to it.
We live - on a spinning planet in a world of spin .

-Christopher Buckley -

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2021, 09:49:17 AM »

A few days ago I did a normal wirewalker with a fixed top. It was amazing!

Congratulations, Hydrona!  8) 8) 8)

When you wrap the top there is friction between the string and the index finger. Although at times it has created a temporary harder spot on my finger, I have not developed long term calluses, what I'm a bit surprised of. Hopefully, that would be your case, but each person's skin is different.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 11:40:44 AM by ta0 »

Hydrona

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2021, 11:15:40 AM »

Thank you Ta0  :D
Luckely, I don't actually care about callus. It's a good thing for me when practicing.

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2021, 05:55:47 PM »

Now the Devil Wire Walker explanation. This is not a real wire walker but can give the illusion of one.
You bind the (bearing) top as usual. But this time, you have some string hanging from the starting hand. Then you pull with the receiving hand while letting the extra string feed through the starting hand. You can do this as slowly as you wish and the the top will just travel away from the starting hand while staying at a fixed place on the string.  But to do the Devil Wire Walker you pull fast. This provides momentum to the top and if you then release the tension the top can continue guided by the string all the way to the receiving hand.

Because the eye tends to follow the top and doesn't stay watching the starting hand, it's easy to miss the feeding of the string. It's the classic magician misdirection principle. This is specially true if you start from the non-throwing hand as the button will not be hanging. Actually, you could have the button against your fingers and a loop of extra string, but that is more difficult to set up.

If you do it slowly, it's a safe method to get a top in the center of the string for a backwards gyro-flop.
I guess this trick could also be useful to give a running start to fixed tip tops that are bad walkers.

Thanks for the trick, Hydrona. I see myself one day puzzling a top player who did not see this thread  >:D

Thanks for the description!  I was having a hard time following (happens so fast).  Great trick Hydrona!

Hydrona

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 06:22:57 AM »

Thanks Jospin  :)