iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Under the Big Tops: The Paratoupie and centrifugal Parapluie  (Read 2632 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Under the Big Tops: The Paratoupie and centrifugal Parapluie
« on: March 24, 2021, 12:13:08 AM »

Well, my avatar here really is under a big top -- 288 mm in diameter! Weighs only 88 g, though, as the thin fabric "fairings" cover a fairly sparse 6-spoke frame.

Not that the fairings do a lot of good aerodynamically. Spin time is only ~15 s with either multiple twirls or the planetary starter shown. As you might imagine, the top moves a lot of air just by virtue of its size. The barely tolerable wobble is probably part fairing flutter and part frame flexure.

The orange fabric parts are LEGO parachute canopies. For a 4 g minifig, we're talking express parachute, mind you. But for the 1.8 g top below, the descent rate's not bad.

Guess that makes the top a real paratouper.

I'll let myself out.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 07:08:37 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Under the Big Top
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 02:42:11 AM »

Oh it is LEGO. At first I thought I am seeing those little umbrellas that come on your ice cream sometimes or in your cocktail.

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 03:17:57 AM »

Was really hoping that this top would stay up longer. But it needs a lot more AMI, and I need to reduce the gap between canopies somehow.

In the meantime, have a Mai Tai with a little umbrella and pretend you're on the beach in Tahiti.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 08:30:28 AM »

Tahiti,.... that is where those coconut tops grow?

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 10:10:42 AM »

Tahiti,.... that is where those coconut tops grow?

Exactly.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 01:17:59 PM »

LEGO has parachutes . . . What's next?  ::)

Just joking! Nice to see that you have that flexibility withing the LEGO world.
Another rather unusual top.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 03:27:11 PM »

Very interesting!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 06:19:35 PM »

Paratoupie
The top's now performing well enough to get a name — the Paratoupie.

Since the prototype above, I managed to eliminate most of the wobble and triple the spin time — now 45 s with either multiple twirls or a 1:4 planetary starter. From the outside, the changes are subtle...

And the fabric "skin" still flutters at speed, though not as much since I flattened and tightened it...

The big changes are all under the skins...

Main changes
1. Added lots of AMI — mainly with the blue/black wheels
2. Lowered CM substantially
3. Added more chord struts to stiffen the "airframe"
4. Flattened the fabric's outer surface profile from tent-like to more pancake-like
5. Further reduced internal airflow by bringing the skins' outer edges closer together
6. Reduced fabric flutter by increasing skin tension

Further aerodynamic gains seem unlikely, but the airframe still has room for more AMI

Tops and airplanes
Why am I talking about skins and airframes? Well, it finally hit me today: A modern airplane hides most of its core functional components — airframe, engines, landing gear, hydraulics, cockpit, cabin, cargo hold, etc. — under a lightweight streamlined skin. And more of my LEGO tops should be hiding their guts and bones under a thin skin as well. That way I can to some extent decouple the mass distribution and structural design from that of the outer surface exposed to the air.

Of course, we've been discussing the value of fairings a lot lately. Just never put it together quite that way.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 06:36:47 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Under the Big Top: The Paratoupie
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 11:07:12 AM »

Tops and airplanes
Why am I talking about skins and airframes? Well, it finally hit me today: A modern airplane hides most of its core functional components — airframe, engines, landing gear, hydraulics, cockpit, cabin, cargo hold, etc. — under a lightweight streamlined skin. And more of my LEGO tops should be hiding their guts and bones under a thin skin as well. That way I can to some extent decouple the mass distribution and structural design from that of the outer surface exposed to the air.

Of course, we've been discussing the value of fairings a lot lately. Just never put it together quite that way.

It seems that this may be the start of a new realm of LEGO tops.  8)

I don't know if you did it on purpose, but this is very close to parapluie, umbrella in French. So now you should make one that closes as an umbrella for storage  ;) Better still if it automatically opens when you spin it and closes when you stop  >:D

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 04:28:10 PM »

@ta0: No, didn't think of parapluie for the paratoupie. But I'm totally using it for the umbrella top now in R&D at your suggestion. Thanks for the idea!

When I borrowed the paratoupie's upper skin for the coming parapluie, the former's spin time dropped 50%. So at least the upper skin's a net benefit when it comes to spin time.

But as they say, every paratoupie has an azure lining...

In my book, that trippy visual's well worth the price. And it's even better in person and video. The colors, man!

Predicting how a patterned top will look at speed can be a crap shoot. This one turned out to be a very pleasant surprise.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 07:24:10 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 05:00:50 PM »

Parapluie progress report

Getting the orange canopy to fold up is the easy part.

Keeping it from unfolding too much at speed is trickier.

Without some limiting mechanism, ground clearance would all but disappear, as I have to keep the CM as low as possible to have any spin time to speak of.

The temporary chains will be replaced with suitable elastics so that degree of opening grows both visibly and tangibly with speed.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 06:36:28 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Under the Big Tops: The Paratoupie and centrifugal Parapluie
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 07:22:09 PM »

Wow! The parapluie came fast! :o Nice work!

Of course, you could spin the umbrella upside down to keep the clearance.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 07:31:25 PM »

Wow! The parapluie came fast! :o Nice work!
Of course, you could spin the umbrella upside down to keep the clearance.

Thanks! Happened to design a similar 6-stay folding frame for a made-up amusement park ride a while back. That saved a lot of time.

CM gets way too high if the canopy points upward. I'll be lucky to get 10 s of spin out of this thing.

Never mind. Works both ways, though neither spins long. Testing will tell which can be made to spin longer
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 10:57:17 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

Joah

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 01:52:37 PM »

Paratoupie

Since the prototype above, I managed to eliminate most of the wobble and triple the spin time — now 45 s with either multiple twirls or a 1:4 planetary starter. From the outside, the changes are subtle...

And the fabric "skin" still flutters at speed, though not as much since I flattened and tightened it...

The big changes are all under the skins...

Main changes
1. Added lots of AMI — mainly with the blue/black wheels
2. Lowered CM substantially
3. Added more chord struts to stiffen the "airframe"
4. Flattened the fabric's outer surface profile from tent-like to more pancake-like
5. Further reduced internal airflow by bringing the skins' outer edges closer together
6. Reduced fabric flutter by increasing skin tension

Further aerodynamic gains seem unlikely, but the airframe still has room for more AMI

Tops and airplanes

Very interesting correlation... never thought of approaching top making the same way as making an airframe...creative gears a turning...great project each of your iterations has such intricate internal framework.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 02:32:05 PM by ta0 »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2021, 05:58:57 PM »

@Joah: Thanks! Handy having such a verstile construction system around.

As a topmaker, often find myself wishing for stiffer structures and better aerodynamics. But the system's pretty good as it is. Just need a versatile fairing system to go with it, LEGO or otherwise.