iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DIY Metal Beigoma Casting  (Read 2258 times)

Joah

• Gold Member
DIY Metal Beigoma Casting
« on: November 21, 2020, 06:35:43 PM »

Hello Everyone!
It's been a while since I've posted. I've been busy learning how to make molds for casting Cerrotru allow, a non-toxic mix of tin and bismuth. Why learn this? With the rarity of beigoma tops in the states I wanted a way to take my 3D printed beigoma and cast them in metal. To make a beigoma good in the arena you need to heavily modify them. Since, I am quite new to modding beigoma I didn't want to alter my antique one and make a mistake....nor did I want to wait close to a month for new ones to be delivered. So I decided to make my own...again...!
IMG_20201117_000125975 by Joah Tang, on Flickr

The first step I took to making my own metal beigoma was to redesign my original 3D printed ones.
beigomamasters by Joah Tang, on Flickr

I did this in Tinkercad, a free 3D design software. I printed them out and gave the tops a test spin. I did my best to sand and balance them before moving on to making a mold. I used PETG for the print and sanded it smooth with 400 grit sandpaper. I found a good tutorial on Crafsman YouTube channel for making low temp metal molds with EasyMold silicone putty. I followed these two videos:

and

Side note the CrafsMan is one of the best maker channels on YouTube in my opinion steady craftin!!!!

...anyways back to the tops...
Once the supplies arrived I took some sulfur free clay and Legos to make a two part mold.

IMG_20201114_192731255_HDR by Joah Tang, on Flickr

I was able to make two molds from 1Id of EasyMold. My third mold was made from 100% silicone and cornstarch. For a more in depth tutorial check out this tutorial on mold making from the amazing CrafsMan:

After the molds had cured I took some Cerrotru alloy and melted it down in my HotPot2, basically a hand held foundry.  The nice thing about this alloy is it melts around 281º F and it contains no led! The alloy is made in PA and can be found here: https://boltonmetalproducts.com/products/cerrotru-bolton-281

IMG_20201114_204351210 by Joah Tang, on Flickr

Here's a quick video of my dragon beigoma being casted.

After lots of sanding I spun them and quickly realized yoyo string was not going to work so I made my own by doubling the string wraps in this yoyo string tutorial:

I found 12 - 14 wraps work best. Also winding the string on the tight side helps too.

IMG_20201121_164411323 by Joah Tang, on Flickr

To sand the beigoma down I used a wood file and 100 - 800 grit sand paper.

IMG_20201114_215733634 by Joah Tang, on Flickr

IMG_20201117_000125975(1) by Joah Tang, on Flickr

IMG_20201121_135943525 by Joah Tang, on Flickr

Here is a compilation video of the beigomas battling:

In the future I hope to improve my design to spin longer in canvas arenas. Right now the Cerrotru beigomas will spin for 30 seconds in a canvas arena but will come close to 2 minutes on a plastic surface! It may just be my arena that is effecting the spin time...it will be upgraded in the future too. You can find the STL files here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4661218

My next iteration will look something like this.
newbeigoma2 by Joah Tang, on Flickr

newbeigoma1 by Joah Tang, on Flickr

If anyone has any ideas, tips, or questions let me know I would love to discuss them!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 06:43:15 PM by Joah »

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
Re: DIY Metal Beigoma Casting
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 07:16:16 PM »

Amazing! Never have I seen anyone do that sort of thing here. For your string I would suggest using chalk/mason line, although I can't quite remember what number works for beigomas; I know it's thicker than no. 21 cord.
You could make some decent money from making those!  8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 04:29:56 PM by Texture »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 09:42:50 PM »

Brilliant! Every part of it.

Of course, using LEGO to frame the mold was especially brilliant.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 11:06:23 PM »

Wow!!  Very impressive.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 11:06:10 AM »

Joah: 'Side note the CrafsMan is one of the best maker channels on YouTube in my opinion steady craftin!!!!'

Even though I'm not a caster/maker, I found the CrafsMan channel a while ago and really enjoy his creations. Great video production and style. A unique character to be sure. Keep on steady craftin!

Turegano

• ITSA Jr.
  • Turegano
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 11:16:06 AM »

muy interesante     ese  tipo de    trompos

TROMPO MEXICO

Joah

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 01:53:01 PM »

Amazing! Never have I seen anyone do that sort of thing here. For your string I would suggest using chalk/mason line, although I can't quite remember what number works for beigomas; I know it's thicker than no. 21 cord.
You could make some decent money from making those!  8) 8) 8)
Thanks, it was a fun experience! Good suggestion I will give it a try! If I remember correctly I think mason line is 2.5 - 3 mm thick which is a perfect thickness to make the tops hum. Maybe someday in the future I will sell some...still have a few bugs to work out...

Joah

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 01:54:22 PM »

Brilliant! Every part of it.

Of course, using LEGO to frame the mold was especially brilliant.
Thanks, I though you would like the LEGO mold case! Man, LEGOs are amazing when it comes to working with silicone.

Joah

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 01:54:42 PM »

Joah

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 01:56:53 PM »

Joah: 'Side note the CrafsMan is one of the best maker channels on YouTube in my opinion steady craftin!!!!'

Even though I'm not a caster/maker, I found the CrafsMan channel a while ago and really enjoy his creations. Great video production and style. A unique character to be sure. Keep on steady craftin!
Thanks you too! Yeah I like how he uses everyday or easy to find things to craft with. I love his positivity, makes Mondays so much better!

Joah

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 01:58:45 PM »

muy interesante     ese  tipo de    trompos
Thanks, agreed they are very interesting tops. There are so many fun modification you can do to these tops.

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 02:39:50 PM »

Exelentes giros me gusta la decoración felicidades

Turegano

• ITSA Jr.
  • Turegano
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 09:21:28 AM »

parecen  mucho  los cliches  que usamos   para   las  tapas de  figuras  en los trompos  de plastico 

Joah

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 01:38:18 PM »

Exelentes giros me gusta la decoración felicidades
Thanks!

Joah

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2021, 01:42:34 PM »

parecen  mucho  los cliches  que usamos   para   las  tapas de  figuras  en los trompos  de plastico
Yes, some of my inspiration for the characters on my beigoma came from the Trompos Cometa Dragon tops. They are also based on the main protagonist and antagonist tops of the original Beyblade Anime, Dragoon(the Azure dragon) and Wolborg (the Artic wolf).