iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Finalist selected. Winners announced live by Zoom and Youtube Saturday.

Author Topic: Oct. 14 2020: FREE International Top Spinning Day Celebrates ‘our Earth is a Top  (Read 660 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

That's a great photo, Jim!

Where do we send the picture?

Afterwards, participants are asked to please send an email to thetopmuseum@hotmail.com and small jpg. photos of their participation for documentation of this worldwide event. Information should include the name of the coordinator of the spinning, the group name and ages, city, state, country, how many people participated, how many tops were used, and how many spins, plus comments made. Selected information and summaries may be used on the Spinning Top Museum website. The totals will be added to the world-wide total of spins.

This is my official 2020 International Spinning Top Day photo:

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA Jr.
  • Immortal Member
    • MOCpages

Personally twirled 952 957 tops before midnight -- all but 8 13 made entirely of LEGO! (All the ones in the bins shown in my earlier video and then some.)

This represents about 95% of my collection of keepers.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:18:07 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Playing with the physical world through LEGO

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

Personally twirled 952 tops before midnight -- all but 8 made of LEGO!
:o
A 1000 LEGO tops is quite a collection!

Did you beat The Earl or did he continue spinning during the day?  >:D

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA Jr.
  • Immortal Member
    • MOCpages

@ta0: Surely The Earl kept going. Love your photo!

Sometime after I took the lids off all the top bins laid out on the deck, Roxie snuck off with the Kong top I made with some LEGO adapters well over a year ago.

She'd lost all interest in her Kong by the time I commandeered it, vastly preferring belly rubs. But Kathy found her guiltily gnawing away on the top in the kitchen. And this time, she didn't want to give it back.

Somehow, it still spins with nary a wobble.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 10:33:22 AM by Jeremy McCreary »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA Jr.
  • Immortal Member
    • MOCpages

Turns out, yesterday's marathon included 11 12 non-LEGO tops besides the Kong above...

One of jim's high-CM wooden flipping tops with its own starter...

Jose's 3D-printed Relampago #4 minus crown with the LEGO wind-up starter and adapter I used to spin it...

Toycrafter black finger top and yellow tippe top (gifts from Larry D.) with aluminum tippe top from Grand Illusions in background.....

Black finger top from ta0 and lime blow top from Renee with LEGO adapter for latter...

This black and metal koma from Marines 2019 and fun top/yoyo hybrid from the Czech Republic use the same LEGO adapter...

This Wizzzer-like "Advanced Gyro" from Grand Illusions uses the same LEGO adapter as Renee's blow top...

Tourenado Taorenado from Spingear (left) and Toupie Lumineuse from Grand Illusions. The former has affinities with jim's top in (no surprise) both mass distribution and behavior...

Some nice memories on International Spinning Top Day.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:11:53 AM by Jeremy McCreary »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

I am impressed with all of your tops, Jeremy.  A collection of 952 is quite amazing especially considering all the individual legos that go into that.  Yes, I did spin some more tops but spinjitzu Jeremy is the champ.  Yet, this does lead me to some new thoughts.  I think the challenge of a 1000 spin club could be fun.  It could be a thousand spins with the tops of your own choosing.  I believe I can dig around some day here in the future and try for the 1000 club of all different tops.  Thanks for the ideas!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

Turns out, yesterday's marathon included 11 12 non-LEGO tops besides the Kong above...
Nice eclectic collection there! I like it!

I looked up the Kong. I was disappointment that this dog toy does not come with the stem and tip that you added  ;D But I still felt an urge to spin one  ::)

One of jim's high-CM wooden flipping tops with its own starter...
Collector's item! I don't have it  :( , but I have one by Philippe, the turner who taught Jim.

Toycrafter black finger top and yellow tippe top (gifts from Larry D.) with aluminum tippe top from Grand Illusions in background.....
Did The Toycrafter make the black spoked wheel top? Looks injection molded.

Black finger top from ta0
Hand-painted top by somebody at Texas TopCon 2019.

. . . and fun top/yoyo hybrid from the Czech Republic
Bought from a Czech shop, but the Yoyo Empire Spintop is Chinese.

Tourenado from Spingear
Taorenado. Taoreru means to fall. Taorenai: will not fall.

I am impressed with all of your tops, Jeremy.  A collection of 952 is quite amazing especially considering all the individual legos that go into that.  Yes, I did spin some more tops but spinjitzu Jeremy is the champ.  Yet, this does lead me to some new thoughts.  I think the challenge of a 1000 spin club could be fun.  It could be a thousand spins with the tops of your own choosing.  I believe I can dig around some day here in the future and try for the 1000 club of all different tops.  Thanks for the ideas!!!
Should we make a forum patch for that? Not many people have a 1000 different tops. But the forum has collectors in addition to players, so we should also give them some acknowledgement.
Next year for the International Top Spinning Day I'll try to spin the part of my collection that is not in boxes.  ;)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA Jr.
  • Immortal Member
    • MOCpages

@ta0: A collector's patch would be fun -- as long as I didn't have to hire Price Waterhouse to verify the count. Of course, quantity and quality are two different things. I'd much rather have your collection.

Larry D. gave me 2 of those 3-spoked black finger tops -- one loose and one in this Toycrafter-brand top maze...

Toycrafter manufactured most if not all of its own wooden toys. Also sold some plastic toys but may not have made them in-house.

Whoever made that Yoyo Empire hybrid spintoy, the play value's through the roof. And not just in expert hands like ta0's...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3oyEmWSfow

It's also a great gyro for non-string play by mere mortals like me.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:46:25 AM by Jeremy McCreary »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA Jr.
  • Immortal Member
    • MOCpages

Just talked to Judith, the Top Lady. OK to send photos taken after the 14th as long as they show only people and tops involved on the 14th.

Keep submitted photos under 1 MB each.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 09:12:00 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

jim in paris

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube

hi all , hi Jeremy

thanks for the extended post : a great tribute to tops and the friendship among us,
poor souls lost in deeper space between precession and nutation   (...) ;)

you're    TTTTT      O       PPP     SSS
        T       O 0      PPP    S   S
        T        O       PP        SSS

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA Jr.
  • Immortal Member
    • MOCpages

In keeping with the day's "Earth is a top" theme, the all-LEGO tops spun included 7 "planet tops" enclosed by thin spherical shells made from smooth 11x11 Star Wars hemispheres.

https://youtu.be/qaiP4IxhOsw

LEGO painted these parts to portray planets and other space objects with big roles in the Star Wars saga. Star Wars fans will no doubt be able to name them on sight.

But you can make up any story you like about them. After all, you're in charge. Ask yourself, how many other things do you get to be in charge of these days?

Plan A was to get all 7 tops spinning at once. And I think I could have with more rehearsals. See video description for details.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 03:04:30 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA Jr.
  • Immortal Member
    • MOCpages

All the woodtops have been turned by myself in my shop in ajaccio

Somehow I missed this statement. Beautiful work, my friend!