iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Oct. 14 2020: FREE International Top Spinning Day Celebrates ‘our Earth is a Top  (Read 2884 times)

toplady

• ITSA

Spin Tops wherever you are in the world on Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 & let us know how many spins for the worldwide total! 

>> Spin again & again, help us get at least 10,000 spins!

This is the 20th year of this free worldwide spinning event, created by the Spinning Top & Yo-Yo Museum!

Afterwards, participants are asked to please send an email to thetopmuseum@hotmail.com and small jpg. photos of their participation for documentation of this worldwide event. Information should include your  name or the name of the coordinator of the spinning, if a group: the group name and ages; city, state, country, how many people participated, how many tops were used, and HOW MANY SPINS! plus comments made. ---Selected information and summaries may be used on the Spinning Top Museum website. The totals will be added to the world-wide total of spins.

A FEW PHOTOS FROM THE PAST: http://www.topmuseum.org/20.html

Here is a ton of more details, if you want to know more:

International Top Spinning Day Celebrates ‘our Earth is a Top’

EVERYWHERE AROUND THE WORLD
Around the world, wherever you are, Wednesday, October 14, 2020 is a day to celebrate a spinning physics fact, because ‘the Earth is a Top!” To recognize this scientific fact, people will be spinning tops all around the world as part of the 20th annual event called International Top Spinning Day.

EARTH SPINS
“The earth spins around a single axis, just as toy spinning tops and yo-yos do,” said Judith Schulz, so the earth is actually a big top!” Schulz, Spinning Top & Yo-Yo Museum founder, created this event 20 years ago. In addition to people spinning tops locally and in other countries, there will also be a Zoom event that day with info on the museum website. Past participants in the event have been from Hawaii to Poland, Italy to England; and all around the United States, and even at the Burlington Public Library.

ADULTS & KIDS
Everyone: adults, students and children may take part as an individual, family, class or group. Seniors, science labs, math and art classes, libraries, universities, day cares, and CEOs are all invited to take a spin. Just take one or more tops and spin them again and again to get a large total of spins which will be added to the total from around the world. The museum’s goal is 10,000 or more spins in total.

RECOMMENDED BY
The event has been recommended by the National Science Foundation, Nick Jr. Magazine, Family Fun Magazine, many newspapers and on several radio stations. National Public Radio has discussed the event and scientific terms related to spinning and rotation physics, which shows the importance of the topic. “We just received a lengthy call for a scientist in Israel about the event,” added Schulz.

SCHOOL
Math classes might graph results, total information, time the spins; science teachers use it for using terms of rotation, balance, inertia; reading teachers use it to make lists of things that spin and writing about International Top Spinning Day; art teachers incorporate it into an action lesson in optical effects, and many classroom use it as a fun exercise in record keeping, observation skills, and organization.

SEND YOUR TOTALS.
Afterwards, participants are asked to please send an email to thetopmuseum@hotmail.com and small jpg. photos of their participation for documentation of this worldwide event. Information should include the name of the coordinator of the spinning, the group name and ages, city, state, country, how many people participated, how many tops were used, and how many spins, plus comments made. Selected information and summaries may be used on the Spinning Top Museum website. The totals will be added to the world-wide total of spins.
. .
Not only is the event held around the world, but there is a free, top spinning activity at the Spinning Top Museum, downtown Burlington; anytime between 11 and 1 pm that day. Participants may drop in anytime to spin the tops and add to the total world spins. Masks are required.

EVERY YEAR
The worldwide event is held annually, on the second Wednesday of October.

AND IN BURLINGTON, WI
For those who wish to visit the non-profit, educational Spinning Top & Yo-Yo Museum during October; it is open by appointment for small groups of 4-8 people, with social distancing and other precautions. The combination program, tour and workshop is for adults and children, ages 4-104.
More information about the event, zoom option, or making an actual visit is on the website www.topmuseum.org and the museum’s Facebook page.
The museum is at 533 Milwaukee Av, Burlington, WI. Call 262 763-3946 for more info. Parking is free

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 07:15:20 PM by toplady »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

The Top Lady finally made her first post on the forum!  :)  :)  :)

Yeah, International Top Spinning Day is coming up again!  8)

I'll be spinning a lot for sure that day as I'm practicing the worlds routine. But I'll try to come up with something funny for the photo.

I plan to visit the Museum one this covid situation is over.  ;)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

Yea!!!  Thanks for posting.  Now we won’t miss this big day. 

I have had a lot of fun in the past spinning tops around town.  I wonder what fun I can have in 2020?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Joah

• Gold Member

This is awesome had no idea there was a top spinning day! I will see if I can get my family involved...we all play a good hour or two a day of Beyblade/Battletops and Skittles!

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!

Hey, Top Lady! I didn't know you were on the forum! Thanks for reminding us of the day. Maybe I'll come down to your museum again!  ;)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages

I'm in! Calendar set.

Brace yourself for a barrage of LEGO tops. Like this -- only with a lot more tops and a lot more color...

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 08:13:27 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

Looking forward to tomorrow.  Trying to make some plans!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

Just came in from the Hall of Fame.  It was really whirling out there for the first hour of International Top Spinning Day.  I can report that 741 different tops were spun during that time.  I spun 70 going around the outside of the Hall with the different spinning areas.  Then I spun 170 little Toysmith tops.  75 metal Schylling tops.  30 KidO tops.  214 Toycrafter tops made by the Parisian button factory.  68 Parisian tops spun.  35 odds and ends of advertising tops.  54 Spindle Tops and 25 old fashioned finger spindle like tops.  I think that adds up right to 741.  At least that is what my calculator says.  Good luck to everyone else on ITSD!!!   

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

Oh, my goodness! You spun 741 tops just past midnight! :o  :o   :o That may be an all-time world record! You are something else, Mike, you know! 8) I'm proud of being your friend  ;D

I started my International Top Spinning Day by spinning Figaro in the still cool air of the morning. I'll be spinning more later, but I'm not going to try to catch up with The Earl, no way. I need to remember to take a photo for the Top Museum.

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member

Giremos hoy es nuestro dia

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages

Just came in from the Hall of Fame.  It was really whirling out there for the first hour of International Top Spinning Day.  I can report that 741 different tops were spun during that time.

You are indeed the true Earl of Whirl.

And now, by the powers invested in me by, well, me, I dub thee Shujin of Spin for this astounding outpouring of finger-powered angular momentum.

OK, OK, "shujin" isn't the Japanese noun for "master". It's the verb. But it's the best rhyme with "spin" I could find. And the Earl's definitely a verb kind of guy. So there!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 11:58:43 AM by Jeremy McCreary »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube

Hi all
Where do we send the picture?

Jim

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 12:18:07 AM by ta0 »
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube

I have played all the tops this afternoon during a

rainy day in corsica

All the woodtops have been turned by myself
in my shop in ajaccio

jeremy will enjoy some of them with the high CM
💥💥

Keep spinning
Jim

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

Good to hear from you, Jim and Cuper.  Many thanks for the kind words from ta0 and Jeremy, but I am just an earl, not the king or queen or even a duke.  And I have a large collection in the garage to keep working on, which I have not done much with in the last month.  Maybe this is my breakout time for a good finish to the year.  There sure seems to be quite a cache of smaller finger tops that do not take up much room and can be spun quickly.  This is one of the special times for the HOF along with being open after our local top fest.  I am going to spin a few more tops tonight and try to call Don Olney to complete this ITSD.  I look forward to hearing about everyone else’s adventures.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages

Ready for some serious spinning today...