iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spin top labyrinth  (Read 1622 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Spin top labyrinth
« on: September 24, 2020, 05:19:37 PM »

In my attempt to use tops as a way to keep moving, I have stumbled on this idea of a spin top labyrinth.  It will keep me walking from spinning area to spinning area and allow me to enjoy some of the tops I have in the hall of fame (and in other areas of my garage).
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
Re: Spin top labyrinth
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 05:24:02 PM »

Saludos amigo Mike me hiciste recordar la famosa trompaleta que ideó Jose barroso jajja un laberinto para los trompos saludos

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 08:16:48 PM »

I'm very glad that you are already throwing tops.

This the "trompaleta" that Cuper mentioned. It's similar to Olney's laberinths. I don't know which one came first and if they are independent creations.

But in the present case, it's The Earl and not the top who has to complete the laberynth without running out of spin!  ;)

PS: I hope Dawn is also feeling better.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 08:54:03 PM »

I will ask Don.  I have a couple of those from him. 

Thanks for not laughing at my spin top labyrinth idea.  It will never be as elegant or balanced as the big time designs but it will get me moving from one end of the hall to the other end.  And on a good day I can expand it to the garage and to the house!!!

Joah

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 01:47:43 PM »

In my attempt to use tops as a way to keep moving, I have stumbled on this idea of a spin top labyrinth.  It will keep me walking from spinning area to spinning area and allow me to enjoy some of the tops I have in the hall of fame (and in other areas of my garage).
Woe that sounds like a cool idea! I remember playing a video game as kid where you had a top and had to navigate a maze. It would be cool to make one where certain areas in the labyrinth had a motorized pad to boost the spin back up....

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 04:03:25 PM »

It would be cool to make one where certain areas in the labyrinth had a motorized pad to boost the spin back up....

I like the way you think!

Several of us are into tops with onboard mechanical gizmos, top starters, etc. Quite popular ca. 1850-1920 -- especially in Japan and Germany. Much less so today, but if 1980s clothing styles can make a comeback (heaven help us!), maybe these mechanical spintoys can, too.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 12:08:25 PM »

It seems like there could be many variations of labyrinth designs and what you do in them.  That just might keep me busy for many years to come!!!

Joah

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 01:30:24 PM »

It would be cool to make one where certain areas in the labyrinth had a motorized pad to boost the spin back up....

I like the way you think!

Several of us are into tops with onboard mechanical gizmos, top starters, etc. Quite popular ca. 1850-1920 -- especially in Japan and Germany. Much less so today, but if 1980s clothing styles can make a comeback (heaven help us!), maybe these mechanical spintoys can, too.
Thanks! Yes tops and toys from both Germany and Japan are quite marvelous! Agreed, I feel like Takara Tomy is trying with their line of toys...they all seem to be based off traditional toys with high play value. What are your thoughts on the motorized never ending tops? There seems to be a lot of games to be discovered with these, Labyrinth included ...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 01:36:08 PM by Joah »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 01:40:16 PM »

It seems like there could be many variations of labyrinth designs and what you do in them.  That just might keep me busy for many years to come!!!

Scheming now to make an easily edited LEGO maze that you simply lay down on a good spinning surface to provide the walls.

Your exploration of maze designs would go much faster if you could replace fabrication with some kind of modular assembly. LEGO walls could be either straight or quarter circles of various sizes. This maze-like sliding Truchet tiler uses the smallest "macaroni" (quarter-circle) parts. Too tight for a top maze, but the bigger macaronis would definitely work.

https://youtu.be/aD9FtQypVW0

Meanwhile, more than you ever wanted to know about mazes...

http://www.intotheabyss.net/maze-theory/

Joah

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 01:50:34 PM »

Scheming now to make an easily edited LEGO maze that you simply lay down on a good spinning surface to provide the walls.

Your exploration of maze designs would go much faster if you could replace fabrication with some kind of modular assembly. LEGO walls could be either straight or quarter circles of various sizes. This maze-like sliding Truchet tiler uses the smallest "macaroni" (quarter-circle) parts. Too tight for a top maze, but the bigger macaronis would definitely work.

https://youtu.be/aD9FtQypVW0

Meanwhile, more than you ever wanted to know about mazes...

http://www.intotheabyss.net/maze-theory/
What a great idea. You could even ad traps with the rough nubs of the Lego that would kill spin time if you fell into it. Lego also has those flexible axel rails from their technique line I think the part number is 32235. You may even be able to regen of them, the axels have a slight grip to them.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 02:18:08 PM »

You sound like a guy who knows his LEGO. Interesting idea to use flexible walls. Flex axles, 3 mm tubing, and pneumatic tubing all come to mind.

For a variety of reasons, the floor of a top maze probably shouldn't be LEGO -- not even studless tiles. The challenge would then be to build a wall system strong enough to hold its shape without being either too high or rigidly attached to the maze floor. I think it could be done with at least some maze shapes.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 03:12:09 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 03:05:43 PM »

What are your thoughts on the motorized never ending tops? There seems to be a lot of games to be discovered with these, Labyrinth included ...

Totally agree. I've spent a lot of time experimenting with tops driven from below but still able to fall below critical speed. And the play value is nothing short of HUGE!

The fast variable-speed driving base on the right below is all black so as not to distract from what the tops are up to.

The tops on the left are just a small sampling of the sizes and shapes that work well with this mode of play. Their small ball tips sit in a very shallow socket on the driver with just enough friction to get a useful driving torque, even with slip.

No video yet, but here's a simpler version. As usual, changing top mass properties can drastically affect top behavior -- which is pretty much what you'd see with a free spin on a static pedestal, just without the spin decay.

https://youtu.be/V5UW3icI3jY

Watching various tops react to forced changes in tilt and driver speed is often full of surprises. And valuable lessons in top physics as well.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 03:50:10 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

Joah

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 02:17:20 PM »

You sound like a guy who knows his LEGO. Interesting idea to use flexible walls. Flex axles, 3 mm tubing, and pneumatic tubing all come to mind.

For a variety of reasons, the floor of a top maze probably shouldn't be LEGO -- not even studless tiles. The challenge would then be to build a wall system strong enough to hold its shape without being either too high or rigidly attached to the maze floor. I think it could be done with at least some maze shapes.
Thanks LEGO is an amazing prototyping tool!
Good point...I forget how a slight alteration in the floor can make the top behave a very different....Hmmm what do you think about PETG? It can be sanded incredibly smooth and depending on you print settings it can be both rigid and flexible...

Joah

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 02:27:42 PM »

What are your thoughts on the motorized never ending tops? There seems to be a lot of games to be discovered with these, Labyrinth included ...

Totally agree. I've spent a lot of time experimenting with tops driven from below but still able to fall below critical speed. And the play value is nothing short of HUGE!

The fast variable-speed driving base on the right below is all black so as not to distract from what the tops are up to.

The tops on the left are just a small sampling of the sizes and shapes that work well with this mode of play. Their small ball tips sit in a very shallow socket on the driver with just enough friction to get a useful driving torque, even with slip.

No video yet, but here's a simpler version. As usual, changing top mass properties can drastically affect top behavior -- which is pretty much what you'd see with a free spin on a static pedestal, just without the spin decay.

Watching various tops react to forced changes in tilt and driver speed is often full of surprises. And valuable lessons in top physics as well.
You are quite the top engineer nice builds! And the YT video is very helpful! Yes, the changing of mass brings some interesting behavior especially with speed gain/loss as well as tip and body design.. for me this is what makes battle tops so fun...Have you seen the mid-driver tosy toop? I picked a couple of these tops up  at a clearance sale a few years ago and they stay relatively stable when moving them on a flat surface and using there magnet control. I haven't tried moving them around a maze on a tilt though....Here's a quick video of them:

I think these tops still hold the world record for longest motorized spin time.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 02:53:40 PM by ta0 »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 04:56:58 PM »

You are quite the top engineer nice builds! And the YT video is very helpful!

Too kind.

Yes, the changing of mass brings some interesting behavior especially with speed gain/loss as well as tip and body design.. for me this is what makes battle tops so fun...

Same here! A really fun set of trade-offs to play at design time, no matter what the top's purpose. And then you get to play with it.

Such a rough life being a topmaker!

Have you seen the mid-driver tosy toop? I picked a couple of these tops up  at a clearance sale a few years ago and they stay relatively stable when moving them on a flat surface and using there magnet control. I haven't tried moving them around a maze on a tilt though...

Love the Toops! Just have the starter set, but tons of fun and very instructive.

Intereresting to think about how the optimal designs for a battle top and a maze top might differ. Might have a lot in common, too.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 04:59:20 PM by Jeremy McCreary »