iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ESPN 8 “The Ocho”  (Read 2429 times)

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
ESPN 8 “The Ocho”
« on: May 02, 2020, 07:17:02 AM »

Today, Saturday May 2nd, at 12:00 PM EST ESPN is transforming their flagship network to ESPN 8 “The Ocho”. (For those unfamiliar with the reference it is from the movie Dodgeball.) The premise of the network is unconventional “sports” competitions. The theme is reminiscent of the early days of ESPN 2 where less well known sporting competitions could be found. Unfortunately spin tops are nowhere to be found. But certainly a number of other interesting contests.

Noon: World record deadlift attempt by Thor Bjornsson (live)

1 p.m.: Professional arm wrestling

1:30 p.m.: 2006 Krystal World hamburger eating competition

2:30 p.m.: E:60 -- Cheese rolling, frog jumping, and Japanese monster wrestling

3:30 p.m.: 2018 Classic Tetris world championship

4 p.m.: 2019 Golden Tee world championship

4:30 p.m.: 51st Annual Stone Skipping Competition

5:30 p.m.: 46th Annual Cherry Pit Spitting Championship

6 p.m.: Dodge juggle

7 p.m.: Putt Putt championships

7:30 p.m.: 2019 Stupid Robot Fighting League

8 p.m.: 2019 World sign spinning

8:30 p.m.: 2019 Jelle's marble runs

9 p.m.: Lawn mower racing

9:30 p.m.: Slippery stairs

10 p.m.: Death diving

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: ESPN 8 “The Ocho”
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 08:57:17 AM »

Ha ha!!!  Dodge juggle!  Looks interesting.  So do many of the other sports here.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 12:54:58 PM »

Earl I fear I may have let you down. I could have perhaps attempted to sneak this thread into the main forum instead of NSTR... The first event today was a weight lifting record attempt in Reykjavik, Iceland.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 02:33:39 PM »

Earl I fear I may have let you down. I could have perhaps attempted to sneak this thread into the main forum instead of NSTR... The first event today was a weight lifting record attempt in Reykjavik, Iceland.

8 p.m.: 2019 World sign spinning

Well, once The Earl got away with posting  sign spinning on the main board.
I commented at the time:
You got me to check the arrow-sign spinning thing. Wow, very impressive the videos on the aarrowads.com site: it would be a great spinning skill toy if it wasn't a job tool. But they have company contests and with hundreds of professional spinners I am sure it is very competitive.  Perhaps II should sell some arrow signs. Something interesting is that the company gives the spinners a raise for each trick they learn! The origin of the company were skateboarders that got summer jobs carrying signs.

ESPN is showing the 2019 worlds, but they could manage to get the 2020 worlds before the shutdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDGViSmdfWQ

Top spinning should definitely be in ESPN 2. One day . . .
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 03:35:33 PM by ta0 »

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: ESPN 8 “The Ocho” - Dodge Juggling
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 10:10:58 AM »

The Dodge Juggling competition was held at Skill Con, an annual event held in Las Vegas. Jugglers vs. Dodge Ballers (is that what they're called?  ;D ). This was only one of many, many skills featured at Skill Con.  Here's the Dodge Juggling event. If I didn't get the timing right, the event lasts from 5:40 till about 9:00 minutes through the video.

https://youtu.be/iq6q-1drOQA?t=340

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 10:49:13 AM »

Dodge juggling seems like lots of fun.  Of course, 5 club jugglers are not everywhere.  Seems like we could have some fun around here with three club juggling and challenging people to make them drop with dodgeballs.  Actually, it seems like we could have some fun at a top gathering with a top spinning person and others trying to make them lose their spin!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 09:22:48 AM »

Dodge juggling seems like lots of fun.  Of course, 5 club jugglers are not everywhere.  Seems like we could have some fun around here with three club juggling and challenging people to make them drop with dodgeballs.  Actually, it seems like we could have some fun at a top gathering with a top spinning person and others trying to make them lose their spin!!!
??? They were juggling 3 clubs (but they are 5+ club jugglers, no doubt).
Yes, let's do it with tops, but replace the dodge balls with water balloons. Less violent and more fun.  >:D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 11:49:54 AM »

I was not able to actually see any of the shows on "The Ocho" ESPN 8 but I saw this video and assumed it was similar to this where they are juggling five clubs:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dodge+juggling&docid=607994376114078253&mid=CA375AC843FBABD02577CA375AC843FBABD02577&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Water balloons are fun but it means a lot more prep time and most likely will have to be outside.  Our basement has not been used during our Burg Top Fest but it is just about the right size for this kind of thing......not too big and not too small.  The balls will be easy to retrieve and, although the ceilings are not high, they will be high enough for top spinning.  They are not high enough for five club juggling, though.  I can see the Hickersons really getting into this!!!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:55:27 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 02:20:21 PM »

Wow! The one you linked, Mike, is a different version than the one on Rick's linked. In one there is someone juggling 5 clubs with defenders, and on the other several juggle 3 clubs without defenders.

Water balloons are fun but it means a lot more prep time . . .
Actually not. Are you familiar with the Zuru Bunch O Balloons? Just this past weekend I played with my son. Last year we had a battle with my brother in-law, his two sons and my two sons, where we used 300 balloons! Started as a Kickstarter project by a guy from Texas and now available at Walmart (the original, after they sold a copycat for some time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21bP1KA3ykg
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 02:23:26 PM by ta0 »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 05:14:13 PM »

Are you familiar with the Zuru Bunch O Balloons?

Technology at its best!

Where was this when I was a kid? Oh yeah, they didn't have water on tap  back in the Late Bronze Age.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 07:58:16 AM »

The Dodge Juggling competition : I discover this activity: quite violent but also fun ..

as for the sign post spinning , I can't help thinking it's the ultimate state of individuals alienation,
low paid jobs to advertise trash food , turned into a juggling skill :-X

stone skipping ; also called "stone skiffing" in ireland
great activity , saw kids near Rosslare doing over 20 hits in a row ,....

good day

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 11:18:49 PM »

Yes, we have used several multiple water balloon systems.  Sometimes they do not hold as long as more traditional methods.  After your water balloon fights did you pick up all the rubber remains?  We have had giant water balloon days at the end of our big weeklong day camp every year and that picking up process is a pain.  It can sometimes last for days as we keep finding little pieces here and there.  I choose to go with those softer dodge balls to start out with.

Sign spinning and stone skipping are also intriguing activities.  Sign spinning is not big around here and stone skipping is like a lost art.  When we take children to the park and creeks each year I have to teach a number of them what it is and how to skip the stones.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:28:24 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 11:52:39 PM »

The first ones to come out commercially (Balloon Bonanza from AsSeenOnTV) were a rip-off from the true inventor and didn't have the same quality.
The current balloons are supposedly made from a biodegradable plastic and they seem to disappear from my yard  in a couple of weeks.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Bunch of Balloons inventor
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 09:56:54 AM »

The first ones to come out commercially (Balloon Bonanza from AsSeenOnTV) were a rip-off from the true inventor and didn't have the same quality.
The current balloons are supposedly made from a biodegradable plastic and they seem to disappear from my yard  in a couple of weeks.

Tonight the inventor of the rapid refill water balloons will do an interactive presentation by Zoom to our local inventors club, starting at 6:30PM, CDT (you can join a bit earlier). If you are curious about the story:
Meeting ID: 885 5783 6667
Password: 314159
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88557836667?pwd=VVRkSTdzVUhjRmY1T0JUc3ZhUUcwUT09
Guest Speaker: Josh Malone
The Amazing Bunch Of Balloons Story

Josh Malone, inventor of the enormously successful "Bunch O Balloons" , will share his amazing story of successes and obstacles on his journey to invention success.  Having now sold over a billion balloons, Josh has achieved tremendous success.  But to get there, he had to overcome many roadblocks including the United State Patent Office.  He will share how he got there - the true process of fund raising, product development, licensing, and marketing a new product today.  He will also share the hard realities of getting and defending a patent, and present:

Creating and Developing His Invention
    Running an Extraordinary Kick-Starter Campaign – Raising More than ONE MILLION DOLLARS
    Solving Production Hurdles
    Confronting Competitor Knock-Offs of His Product – Leading to Expensive Legal Battles
    AND Overcoming the Ultimate Challenges of Defending His Invention with the United States Patent Office PATENT TRIAL APPEAL BOARD (PTAB).

Josh quit his corporate job in 2006 to take a shot at the Inventor’s Dream. Eight years later, with savings depleted and kids’ college unfunded, he took one last swing before trudging back to the corporate world.

Josh’s kids have always enjoyed playing with water balloons.  So, he sought to solve the messy water filling problem.  After years of  experimenting, Josh put a straw in a balloon and sealed the balloon with a small rubber band.  It worked!  He decided to call it Bunch O Balloons and filed for a patent.  Josh put it up on Kickstarter and after a few days, it raised over $1,000,000.

After a few weeks, he went on the Today Show.  After production started and his patent had issued, infringers appeared.  Come to the meeting and hear the rest of the story!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 04:34:29 PM »

Very interesting and fascinating!!!