iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Medals will be available for all participants on the 2020 World Contest

Author Topic: Cyclones whirl past UConn in opening round of NCAA basketball  (Read 2595 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

One of the favorite college teams of the itopspin.com forum spun its way to an upset victory in the opening round of the NCAA basketball tournament yesterday.  Each one of us loves a good spin and the Iowa State Cyclones whirled to an impressive victory over the defending champions, the University of Connecticut.  77-64 was the final score but the Cyclones were often farther ahead than that, leading by as much as 22 in the first half.  Next up for our whirling champions is the #1 seed - Kentucky.  Let us hope our spinners can pull off another upset win for the rest of the top spinning community!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
Re: Cyclones whirl past UConn in opening round of NCAA basketball
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 10:51:31 PM »

In totally unrelated basketball news, I was sitting in my car listening to the final seconds of the Ohio University upset of Michigan (sorry Zeemo but yea for my step daughter who is on the OU swim team).   I just drove home from church and there were just a few short moments left in the game so I sat in the car and waited.  Suddenly I heard a thump on the back of the car.  I got out and watch a car whizzing away.  On the outside of my car was a broken egg.  I got egged while listening to the end of that game!  I'm sure it was a disgruntled Michigan fan.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 12:00:23 AM »

Hey Mike, Bev is from OU.  Good to here the team is still in the tourney.  The only school I know of where all streets become one way on registration/move-in day.  Around here I refer to it as PoDunk U.
Practice hard and play safe.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 09:01:43 AM »

I appears that most of the egg is off my car.  That was really weird last night.

The Cyclones whirl again tonight at 7:45.  They will have their hands full with #1 Kentucky.  Go Iowa State!

I did not know Bev went to OU.  OU........oh yeah!  Go Bobcats.  They play tomorrow night (Sunday the 18th) against South Florida at 7:10pm.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:25:32 AM »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What a nail biter but my Bearcats pulled it out so that all 4 Ohio teams make the sweet 16.  Of course now we get Ohio State.  Brings back memories of the '60s when Oscar Robertson (the Big "O") and UC and UCLA and Ohio State were so good.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:30:59 AM by Dick Stohr »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:02:57 AM »

Go University of Cincinnati!!!  What a great win.  The OSU/UC game will be special.

I didn't even realize all four Ohio teams were in the sweet 16 until you mentioned that, Dick.  Thanks!  Go Ohio University.  I can't believe they are still in it.  My step-daughter is ecstatic.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »

Sadly, we are now down to one Ohio team.  Ohio State made the final four.  Dick's alma mater Cincinnati made a big comeback but fell in the end to Ohio State.  Dick's wife's Ohio University (and my swimming step-daughter Megan's school) played their hearts out and took University of North Carolina to overtime, before losing.  The final Ohio team (Xavier) also lost. 

It has been a fun tournament.  Thankfully we still have Ohio State in.  President Obama picked them to win it all so I will side with his prediction!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 07:42:01 AM »

With two Iowa State Cyclone teams in the 2015 NCAA basketball tournament, I was ready for some serious whirling talk.  Sadly, both the men's and the women's team lost their opening game.  Ironically, the women's team lost to our local University of Dayton squad.  I guess the Earl will have to wait until next year for some more good cyclone action on the hardcourt.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 04:23:56 PM »

The cyclones of Iowa State are on the cutting edge with this COVID-19.  They are launching a pilot program to get people back on campus and back into their sports.  There is a big article about them in the USA Today newspaper.