iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Kovalevskaya Top  (Read 10180 times)

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Kovalevskaya Top
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2022, 04:52:09 PM »

...If you see him again, you can ask him how large of an audience they were hoping for the video. ...
Well, I met him again this evening. He strolled again past the place where I was practicing.
We exchanged e-mail addresses but the question you asked he could answer on the spot: "five persons"
He explained that the institute he was working for "the institute for scientific film" was making films for scientists that did not have the equipment to study specific questions. So basically they filmed what they were asked to film and gave the result to this scientist. Then the scientist looked at the film and wrote a paper about what he could see there....  Something along those lines. In the case of the Kovalevskaya top they basically stitched the frames of the simulations together - for every frame the computers took a good while to calculate it at the time. So, he tells me, with this film the scientists could for the first time really see how the Kovalevskaya top is behaving!
Over our chat it got dark, so I could not show him the latest tricks I learned ...

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Kovalevskaya Top
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2022, 08:46:58 AM »

...If you see him again, you can ask him how large of an audience they were hoping for the video. ...
We exchanged e-mail addresses but the question you asked he could answer on the spot: "five persons"
A target audience of 5 people!  :o  ;D
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up