iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gofundme  (Read 1891 times)

unicycleguy

Gofundme
« on: March 11, 2020, 11:23:45 PM »

Hi friends,

I am raising money for tops thate are used in a Japanese spinning top act called kyokugoma (??? ) On my trip to japan I was lucky enough as a foreigner to be a to purchase and learn about the performance of this art. I am creating a new act based on these tops to show the traditional performance of top spinning outside of japan. The reason why I am raising money is because the tops are are very expensive because there are a few craftsmen left that make them and that they take precision and time to create. I appreciate your time just to look or to help me out. here is a video link of this type of performance .

Thank you :)
Jason Katz

https://www.gofundme.com/f/spinning-top-performer-kyokugoma?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link-tip&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Gofundme
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 11:53:21 AM »

Can you tell us more about who showed you the kyokugoma art?
I would be very interested in getting some Japanese performance tops myself.
And I'd be glad to contribute to your quest.

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 01:07:56 PM »

Que bien que estás en el foro amigo sin duda despeus de la plática espero poder apoyar y de paso me gustaría tener algún ejemplar de ese tipo si es posible saludos

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 01:50:39 PM »

salut katz !

goodluck for your project, the juggler Jochen Schell had a number , a stage performance inspired by kyokugoma, he had made the tops himself with modern materials, and various props
the video is here somewhere , but i can't find it

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 02:51:11 PM »

Welcome, Jason! I wish you luck in this ambitious project.

Thinking your GoFundMe page might get more donations with more detail on (1) how you'll actually spend the money, (2) how you'll actually procure the tops and props, and (3) any performance skills you already have along these lines.

WRT (2j, do you already have some of the materials in hand?  Do you have willing sources for the rest? If not, can you get it custom-made locally?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 03:02:31 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

unicycleguy

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 09:37:35 PM »

No problem. I can only tell you one persons name the other would like to stay anonymise. That saying said I can not tell you who i bought my first tops from but I can tell you who is making them for me now. When I was in japan I got in contact with a street performer named Enishi. I watched his street Performing show twice in Tokyo. I learned the tricks just by asking people allot till they told me or  found certain connections. A lot of the top spinners do not want to see this art explode but they don't want to see it go away either. Just be respectful when entering this journey. before anyone buys tops for Kyokugoma I will say you have to go to Japan first and see it live for your self. For people you can get in contact I would talk to Jon gates He is starting to make them for me, but he will only make them for professionals cause this performance can get dangerous as well. I will also say that dont expect this to be a cheap art either it takes time to produce and balance the tops and to create the props for it. I am learning to wood turn so I can eventually make my own.

If you are ever in Japan go to Nagoya to visit the spinning top museum.

The Reason why I wanted to learn this art Is my strong Interest in Japan as well as My strong passion with the art of top spinning and what it means to me.

I hope this helps,

Jason Katz

Can you tell us more about who showed you the kyokugoma art?
I would be very interested in getting some Japanese performance tops myself.
And I'd be glad to contribute to your quest.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 12:37:38 PM »

Thanks Jason for the info. I completely understand the position of the koma performers.
I wish I had purchased a Kyoku-goma from Masaaki Hiroi when they were available on the internet, but at the time I thought they were too expensive and now Master Hiroi has passed away. Jim Neff was smart enough to get one.

I know Taka is looking into one day making some of these tops himself.

I not only visited the Koma Museum in 2015, but slept on a tatami floor on top of the museum!  :)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 12:57:33 PM »

No problem. I can only tell you one persons name the other would like to stay anonymise. That saying said I can not tell you who i bought my first tops from but I can tell you who is making them for me now. When I was in japan I got in contact with a street performer named Enishi. I watched his street Performing show twice in Tokyo. I learned the tricks just by asking people allot till they told me or  found certain connections. A lot of the top spinners do not want to see this art explode but they don't want to see it go away either. Just be respectful when entering this journey. before anyone buys tops for Kyokugoma I will say you have to go to Japan first and see it live for your self. For people you can get in contact I would talk to Jon gates He is starting to make them for me, but he will only make them for professionals cause this performance can get dangerous as well. I will also say that dont expect this to be a cheap art either it takes time to produce and balance the tops and to create the props for it. I am learning to wood turn so I can eventually make my own.

If you are ever in Japan go to Nagoya to visit the spinning top museum.

The Reason why I wanted to learn this art Is my strong Interest in Japan as well as My strong passion with the art of top spinning and what it means to me.

Names aren't as important as the fact that you have these sources, contacts, skills, and passions. Reassuring stuff for your web page.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 12:21:48 PM »

I split the rest of the thread about Kyokugoma tops.

I made a small donation to your endeavor. But I agree with Jeremy that you should have included more information on your request, with more specifics, to give you credibility and engage the donors. A story line always helps. Perhaps a blog with photos of your trip to Japan and a recount of your experience there and how it inspired you.
When you are further along your journey, you might consider requesting a grant from ITSA.

Best of luck!

unicycleguy

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 11:09:21 PM »

Thanks for the coments Ill make it clear when i edit it that I do have resources where my props are coming from. Thank you.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 11:26:53 AM »

By the way, as the "unicycleguy" I am interested in your one wheel activities.  Do you mind sharing any of your life in that area?  We have several unicycle riders on the forum and some have done top work while riding.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

unicycleguy

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 11:27:27 PM »

Thanks guys I just updated My information on my go fund me.

For my unicycle work I have done a little bit of top work on the unicycle, and i have done a litle bit of 2 handed yoyoing on the unicycle too. I have been unicycling on and off since 2008. I own several unicycle. I have two freestyle unicycles, my first unicycle which is a beginner one. one 6 footer, one 7 foot unicycle, one mountain unicycle, 36 inch wheel and vintage sears unicycle that my mom found for free lol. Maybe ill do more top work on the unicycle in the future.

Thank you
Jason Katz