iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Kyokuma Japanese performance tops  (Read 330 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Kyokuma Japanese performance tops
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 08:04:33 PM »

Wow!  I missed some of the action on this thread.  Too many phone calls and texts about the corona virus and worship services being shut down I suspect.  Thanks for the comments on the poster.  Also, jitter ring?  I have most often heard them called "chatter rings".  I have had a bunch over the years.  Kids love them.  I have never seen them in slow motion, though.  Very nice!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA Jr.
  • Immortal Member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 08:33:12 PM »

Miss Odiska and Mme. de St. Florent look like they're probably the same woman. They're as alike as the Rham Sing drawings.
Playing with the physical world through LEGO

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 07:31:56 PM »

Is that a bicycle wheel where Rham Sing balances two tops?  :-\ It's the first time I see that trick.

I tried one top on top of my unicycle (but not on my head):

Holding the unicycle with the seat post horizontal, I put the spinning top on the top of the wheel. Then I raised the unicycle to vertical, while rotating the wheel with one hand to always keep the top on the upper position. This top is too light to overcome the friction of the hub. It would be more interesting (and much more difficult) to do with a heavier top that has enough inertia to rotate the wheel by itself. An easier option that could work very well on a performance would be to put a hidden weight on the wheel or a pedal so one side is always down and the other (with the top) always on top. I can definitely see a performer like Mermouy doing this (but his 3-wheeled unicycle might be too heavy to balance on the forehead!).

Great poster. After repeated viewing though, I cannot figure out what is happening in the upper left corner. I see a guy with a wand in one hand and a white kerchief in the other. Between the kerchief and the ground are something, black blobs as far as I see. What do you see?
I see objects spilling out of an open bag. One near the ground could be a top. Another could be a gerbil.
It's surely a magic trick. The "bag" looks to me like a paper cone for holding a bouquet of flowers.
Perhaps he folded a paper into an empty cone and after waving the wand a stream of flowers started coming out. But then I would have expected them to shoot forward. The fact that they fall straight down might mean that he transformed flowers into gerbils  >:D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:11:25 PM by ta0 »
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up