iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Old dog: new tricks?  (Read 2746 times)

topsnotspinning

Old dog: new tricks?
« on: December 14, 2019, 01:48:14 AM »

Good evening. I've enjoyed reading discussions on this forum over the years, but never participated before. My wife and I have been collecting spinning tops for 35+ years, and the mania has been extremely enjoyable. Our collecting interests range from German choral tops and plunger tops to advertising tops and top games. Sadly, our good friend Dan Lassanske passed away last year, so it's time to make some new friends in the spinning top world. Until now, we have been purely top collectors, rather than top spinners, because our top-spinning skills are laughable -- we are more likely to break a window or give the dog a concussion than spin a top successfully; but we'd like to change that. So I'm asking for some advice: can anyone direct me to some video tutorials? I have lots of old Duncan and new BC tops that I can open and use, but am also willing to purchase different tops if that would make the learning process easier. If anyone is interested in seeing some of the tops in our collection, I'll be glad to provide pictures. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
Re: Old dog: new tricks?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 04:36:35 AM »

Welcome on board!
 For now you can look at spintricks lessons don't hesitate to use links to surf from one tutorial to the same one from a different point of view
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 10:29:21 AM by ta0 »

dazzlingdave

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
    • dazzlingdave.com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 04:54:29 AM »

Welcome!
You will enjoy the ride of learning how to throw....Although you will want to break stuff along the way!

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 08:53:00 AM »

Good luck learning to throw...

It is a very enjoyable hobby :)

Cheers!
Spinning is life!!!!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 09:40:23 AM »

Welcome! Pictures are always welcome here. As far as tops go, if you don't have any Spintastic tops yet, get them now as Dale and Val are leaving the top making scene.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 10:48:13 AM »

Welcome!
We definitely need to help you change your user name!  ;D
There are many old dogs learning new tricks on this forum, so we have proven it's completely possible  ;)
Spintricks.org aggregates videos from here and all over the internet so you can find what you want in the basics section.

You mentioned on an email that your collection is similar to Lassanske's and that you got about 100 top from his, so it's a major collection. We are very glad you joined us as an active member and we look forward to photographs.

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 12:13:03 PM »

Bienvenido .........

topsnotspinning

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 12:44:14 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcomes and for the referral to the spintricks site. Of course it must seem obvious to experienced spinners, but simply learning the right way to wind the top (right-handed or left-handed) was extremely helpful. Thanks, Larry D.!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 03:33:43 PM »

Yes, welcome!  It has been great to have you silently with us in the past and it will be even better to have you posting with us in the future!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 08:45:01 PM »

Thanks for sharing the photos.  8)

The dancing couple from the article in La Nature/Scientific American is one I definitely would love to have.
Did you get the Wyandotte floating top from Lassanske? That's one I wanted as the ball on mine is out of shape.
I heard from Cyril (who got most of the Marklin tops, including the giant set) that the William McKinley for President Gibbs top and the straw top went to the Smithsonian.

What's inside all those wooden apples?  ??? Tops?
It appears that you also collect marbles.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 12:06:53 AM by ta0 »

topsnotspinning

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 12:14:23 AM »

Daniel's daughter donated the McKinley tops to the Gibbs toy museum in Ohio. I did indeed get his Wyandotte bouncing top -- I had one with an intact ball but without the box.

The wooden apples are favorites of ours -- they were placed innocuously on bar shelves and, when patrons wanted to gamble, the barkeeper handed over the "apple." Inside is a horse race roulette game that could be hidden in plain sight when the police came through on unannounced inspections. There is a delicate wooden spike jutting up from the hollowed interior that the "wheel" sits on. Spinning movement is very smooth; finding them intact with the wooden ball and all six tokens is tough.

Lots of marbles mixed into the collections.

topsnotspinning

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 12:16:07 AM »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 01:41:11 AM »

bonjour Monsieur

we haven't been properly introduced : what is your first name , please ?

in the last pic top-wall : i was wondering where the 2 big tops were from?

thanx , for your answer
and welcome on this great forum

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

topsnotspinning

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 04:18:12 PM »

Bonjour, Jim. Those tops (and a couple others) were Christmas window decorations from a now-closed Indiana department store. I also bought the Santa chair that my wife sat on when she took pictures with Santa as a little girl 50+ years ago. Thanks for the question. Bob

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2019, 05:58:08 PM »

I see you really like plunge tops. I don't collect them (well, I do have some  ::) ) because I'm more interested in different mechanisms than in different graphics and also they take a lot of space. You also collect diabolos.

That little silver figurine of a boy throwing a top with a ring behind is curious. Is the ring meant to hold something?

I see what looks like a Naef collection of tops of different woods and on the same shelf at the center what looks like a top/yo-yo hybrid on top of a Red Top can. Is that a Spinobl-yo from Alan Gray?

Are the spring tops on the full box, Gibbs?

I did indeed get his Wyandotte bouncing top -- I had one with an intact ball but without the box.
I have the box for mine. Perhaps there is something I can trade you for the extra top with the intact ball.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 07:33:19 PM by ta0 »
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up