iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any tips/tricks for practicing inside the house?  (Read 2811 times)

Hydrona

Any tips/tricks for practicing inside the house?
« on: December 09, 2019, 11:14:43 AM »

Hello folks, 

I was wondering there is a way for practicing inside.
It's been raining this whole week, so I could not practice outside.
Im not confident enough for throwing a top inside,  duo to damaging the windows or floor... or my top!
 Altrough I don't worry about the windows.  Im throwing far a way from them,  the other side of the room.

Is there a kind of floor I should avoid?

I don't have a carpet. Is a big bath towel good  enough?

I can land a boomerang 80% of the time now,  but I'm still worrying about practicing inside.
Outside,  I can throw all I want,  the grass will 'catch' the top,  so it does not ding it.

Inside we have ceramic floor,  strong and not easy to damage, it at least 25 years old!

So , if I can practice inside,  I can build up more self-confidence, for throwing a top.
The next trick I'll learn is Merry go round  :)

Many greets,
Hydrona
We live - on a spinning planet in a world of spin .

-Christopher Buckley -

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
Re: Any tips/tricks for practicing inside the house?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 12:22:56 PM »

Ceramic floor will brake your tops. I know I play on hardwood flooring but to be fair, there isn't any magical solution, my flooring doesn't like the top at all :( I have some rugs I put down some times...

Top isn't a house friendly toy... Sadly
Spinning is life!!!!

Hydrona

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 12:43:48 PM »

Ceramic floor will brake your tops. I know I play on hardwood flooring but to be fair, there isn't any magical solution, my flooring doesn't like the top at all :( I have some rugs I put down some times...

Top isn't a house friendly toy... Sadly

So I just need a bit luck that it will stop raining outside.
Thanks anyway,  Paxl  :)

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 01:38:45 PM »

Hydrona,

The Saturno Extreme tops are extremely durable.  You can throw it on the ceramic floor with no risk.  You can throw it in the street, on tile, concrete, blacktop paving, etc.

In the event it does get a ding, be proud because it is your ding and you are now a player!

(If something catastrophic ever happens to it let me know and I’ll send you another one.)  :)

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 02:29:04 PM »

You should soon have access to flexible printed tops.. Not breaking nor breaking anything else...

Renee

• ITSA
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 08:17:43 PM »

I can appreciate the anxiety about spinning indoors.  I have finally become confident enough to throw tricks I've already mastered with my top in my own home, but still reluctant to try new tricks indoors, or to spin in someone else's house.  We recently spent more than a week at my sister-in-laws, where a couple of days after we arrived they were walloped with 16" of snow.  Obviously no chance to spin outside, and too many glass topped tables, china cupboards, breakable knick knackery to play indoors.  So, I haven't been able to seriously practice for more than 10 days.  Spun a little in the airport on the way home, but now we're back and it's raining.  Bah!  Most tops can withstand quite a bit of impact.  Unfortunately, our very old vinyl kitchen floor does not like the weight of my JohnM HDPE top, and it's left several dings.  The heavy tops have been retired from indoor play.  I've been trying to figure out where there is an indoor space near me to practice through the winter.

Hydrona

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 12:55:29 AM »

Thank you Larry  :) they are very durable indeed!
And thanks to all of you :D
It will rain a whole week,  so..
Practice time!

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 01:46:47 AM »

When I was first learning I threw into a large cardboard box (open side toward me) to stop the top from getting away. I put old blankets around which would stop it when rolling. Once I improved my throw I put a Frisbee upside down in the box to serve as a target. Best luck!

Hydrona

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 07:59:49 AM »

When I was first learning I threw into a large cardboard box (open side toward me) to stop the top from getting away. I put old blankets around which would stop it when rolling. Once I improved my throw I put a Frisbee upside down in the box to serve as a target. Best luck!
Thanks for sharing your great advice   ;) i'll try that out!
Sunny day today,  but still very cold.  Maybe today is the start to practice inside.

kevinm

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 07:29:18 PM »

Inside throwing is challenging. There are two ways to go, you can do like the Earl of Whirl and just never drop the top, or, like most of us, try to trompo proof the room. All the suggestions from Diz are great, all I would add is that if there is anything you don’t want your top to go under, over, or through, make sure to carefully block it off. Tops know where they aren’t supposed to go, and they always go there first.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 12:19:36 AM »

kevinm.....you are so kind.  I wish it were true, but I do drop many more times than I wish to admit.  I had a good indoor place to practice for a number of years.  It was a giant gymnastics mat at the local high school.  If no one was using it (which was not very often) then I could get some good practice on it, even with larger tops.  Sadly, I stopped coaching at the hs and lost that space.  Now I try to do some work here and there at the local recreation center.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Hydrona

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 03:07:09 AM »

. Tops know where they aren’t supposed to go, and they always go there first.
True!  My tops always seem to roll to the places where I can hardly reach them  >:(
Little monsters  :)

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 10:43:11 AM »

And that's why we named the juggling club I belong to 'I Think It Rolled Under the Couch'.  ;D

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 11:11:20 AM »

May have to wait till summer to find one, but what about those cheap one-piece plastic swimming pools for toddlers?

Or a large doormat or floor runner with carpet on top and rubber on bottom to damp bounces?   You'll find a wide selection of shapes and sizes at any big-box hardware store.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Pepe

• ITSA
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 12:26:28 PM »

You should soon have access to flexible printed tops.. Not breaking nor breaking anything else...

;D ;D ;D

Cant wait!!