iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA Annual General Assembly December 7th - 15th !!!
VOTE for Ambassadors!

Author Topic: Airport Spinning  (Read 164 times)

Renee

• ITSA
Airport Spinning
« on: November 27, 2019, 08:39:36 PM »

I always carry tops with me, especially when we travel.  This morning started out in the Louisville airport.  I was spinning to pass the time, when a young man about 6 years old, came over to watch.  I put the spinning top in his hand.  I love the reaction that almost always evokes... wide eyes followed by a big smile.  We chatted awhile about tops, then he ran over to his carry-on bag and came back with a beyblade.  He shared a few demonstrations of his top.  We enjoyed some time, both happily spinning until it's time to board the plane.  As we are queuing up, the young man's mother went out of her way to come by to thank me and to say how serendipitous it was that we ran into each other, since he is so into his beyblade tops right now.

Next stop was Baltimore.  One family with twin girls, about 7 or 8 years old, were quite interested.  The father mentioned that he had played with tops and yo-yos as a kid.  He was telling the girls they would get both a top and a yo-yo when they got back home.  I always carry some give-away tops, and he was quite happy to have it.   
I forgot to bring any instruction sheets on wrapping the top, so we had a quick lesson.  Several others passing by stopped to watch.  Those who seemed most engaged get a chance to hold the spinning top if they're willing. (Note to self, I need to remember to bring the instruction sheets that also have websites listed for more info.)

On the eve of a day set aside for giving thanks, I would like to thank our spin top community for the wealth of knowledge and support so freely given.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Airport Spinning
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 09:43:34 PM »

Nice Thanksgiving travel story, Renee!

I have spun tops at several airports (even Figaro) but I feel quite self-conscious when I do and look for a place with few people around.  :-[

Not airport related, but I had a top encounter yesterday. I had to pick-up a package at a major FedEx distribution center. It's not designed to receive retail customers and I had to wait a long time at the security shack until they brought the package to me. There was only one guy, around 20 years old, managing the metal detectors (they check the personnel much more when they come out than when they go in :o ) I was wearing my Worlds T-shirt and after a while he asked me about it. Then he told me that a few years ago he had a physics teacher in high-school who brought tops to do a demo and taught them how to throw. He was his favorite student and got one as a present. On a lark I asked if the teacher name was Mike Owen and sure enough, it was! I haven't talked with Mike in a few years but now I'll try to contact him.

paxl13

• ITSA
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 07:42:12 AM »

This topic reminded me the last time I left on a cruise. I did play a lot of top in the airport in that trip. I had my trusty QSH. There was a couple of family that were super interested and I also met a japanese woman which we had a long chat about Koma :)

Airport are great place to spin :) Easy to meet other people :)
Cheers
pax
Spinning is life!!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 09:35:17 PM »

I always find these stories inspiring.  Thanks for starting this thread, Renee!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Renee

• ITSA
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 11:18:21 PM »

Only gave away one top at the airport on the trip home today.  But, met some former spinners.  One from the Dominican Republic and one from India. 
As I was queued up for boarding, there was this barrier across from the gate.  Looks like a top to me.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 10:39:14 AM »

As I was queued up for boarding, there was this barrier across from the gate.  Looks like a top to me.
Oh my! They are fencing top throwing zones at the airports! We are going BIG!  ;D