iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Another successful festival  (Read 1933 times)

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
Another successful festival
« on: October 27, 2019, 09:05:59 PM »

Had more than 30 spinners in 5 hours. They all eventually achieved a successful spin, and got to take a top home.  Special thank you to Larry D. for donating the wooden Twin Tops and several finger spinners.  The youngest to throw and spin a top was about 6.  He couldn't quite get the string wrap down, but if you handed him a pre-wound top he could get it to spin, and was quite excited about it. There were older siblings that promised to work on the string wrap with him at home.
I also gave out about the same number of finger spinners to the small fries, and those too timid to throw a top. 

The festival was indoors this year.  Good thing, because it poured down rain all day.  Being indoors required a little more prep.  The floor had to be covered, and the launched tops needed to be contained.  The tarps on the canopy frame actually worked really well.  The floor under the canopy is a canvas drop cloth, which provided enough protection, but did not overly hamper the spinning tops.

Saw a large number of left handed folks again this year, about 30-40%, but less than last year which seemed to be 50% or more.  The school age kids were pretty even between boys and girls, but the adults seem to more often be women. 

Heard reports later in the day that several of the new spinners were practicing together in the lobby. 

My granddaughter, Carson, helping get all the finger spinners out, and of course, test them.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 02:33:39 PM by Renee »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Another successful festival
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 10:13:10 PM »

Yippee!!!  Sounds terrific!  Well done.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 06:46:36 AM »

Great job Renee.
If its worth doing.....its worth overdoing

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 07:04:15 AM »

This is really good to see. You have lots of gear that you bring with you....tables, pop up, tarp, floor cloth. Nice!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 11:02:14 AM »

That's a serious setup!  :o
Congrats on your success in spreading the spinning joy!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 01:05:27 PM »

It takes a lot of patience and stamina to run an interactive top display at a busy public event. Well done!
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 02:23:34 PM »

It takes a lot of patience and stamina to run an interactive top display at a busy public event. Well done!

That's exactly why you don't see any more photos after the event begins!  And at my age, it takes me a day or two to recover.  I could not have managed without the help of my children, and grandchildren for that matter.  My entire family is super indulgent of my spin top addiction.  I would call them appreciators of the sport, but only two of the grandchildren are real enthusiast.  Both of my daughters were working nearby booths, and if I needed a break they were both capable of teaching the basics. 

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 02:32:37 PM »

This is really good to see. You have lots of gear that you bring with you....tables, pop up, tarp, floor cloth. Nice!
I get a lot of help from my kids.  One of the long tables was at the venue, the other long table and two of the saucer sleds were brought by my daughter who lives where the festival is held.  All of the rest was loaded up in my other daughter's car for the 2.5 hour drive.  I should have snapped a photo of the gear all loaded in the car.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 03:23:54 PM »

Oh?  This is not in Louisville!!??

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 01:21:18 PM »

Oh?  This is not in Louisville!!??
No.  Madisonville, KY 

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 03:07:19 AM »

Felicidades espero conocer el festival me gusta saber en qué mes se realiza y que ciudad y país

Softspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 05:25:00 PM »

Great carrier of message of fun

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 05:25:25 PM »

Felicidades espero conocer el festival me gusta saber en qué mes se realiza y que ciudad y país
This festival is held in late October in the USA, in the city of Madisonville, state of Kentucky.  It is a very small festival.  Trompos are not their focus.  I only participate because my daughter is on the committee.  Most other booths are arts and crafts.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 03:14:34 PM »

I made these handouts for the library classes, and now I just keep them with me to give along with tops I give away.  I "borrowed" the artwork from other flyers.  I have flipped the images for left-handers, also.  I have word doc versions of them, if anyone would want to use them.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 03:16:51 PM by Renee »

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 07:48:28 PM »

Great handout Renee.