iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Heading to Savannah and looking for any top spinners  (Read 1983 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Heading to Savannah and looking for any top spinners
« on: September 06, 2019, 10:23:31 PM »

It is September 6th and my wife and I have arrived in Winston-Salem to visit my son and his family.  After our weekend here we are heading to Savannah for a week.  Just wondering if there are any whirlers around the area?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Heading to Savannah and looking for any top spinners
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 11:44:33 PM »

Rachel and I will be in Savannah the 28 to the 2nd.   It seems that we all picked the wrong week.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 04:19:55 PM »

Ahh!  So close.  We are on the road out of Winston-Salem right now and heading to Savannah.  The good news is that I was able to drop off some tops from India with my grandchildren in Winston-Salem and they seemed happy.  I also dropped off a couple tops with handle launchers and a battle tops game.  Hope they get some good spinning action from that assortment.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 03:22:06 PM »

It turns out that several adults got together last night in Winston-Salem and they played the battle tops game at my son's place.  They said they had a good time!  Meanwhile, my wife and I have arrived at Tybee Island, Georgia.  Lots of beaches here but no signs of any spinning action.  There does not even seem to be any toy stores around these parts.  Hmmmm.  I may have to work hard to keep this thread top related so it does not get moved.  I can report that food was great at the Breakfast Club and I got one of their special omelettes.......the Popeye Omlette!!!  Nothing I do here will be as exciting as India but I will keep trying.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 03:28:02 PM »

I finally found a toy store.  Sadly, it was just the typical kid toy stuff.  No spinning things except some fidget spinners.  The toy store is in a mall (oddly, they have two big malls fairly close to each other) and it also has a book store attached.  I picked up the book "365 things to do with Lego Bricks" and guess what I found?  On page 32 and activity number 24 is "give your bricks a spin."  Nothing in there will be new to Jeremy but it is still fun to see the three examples.  "Time your builds to see which one spins the longest, then see if you can beat your best time."

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 02:42:06 PM »

I vote we do not have nationals on Tybee Island.  It is too humid and sticky down here.  Strings are always a mess and there are not any decent places (that I know of) to host an event indoors.

We ate lunch at a down home place called Huc A Poos.  They do everything they can to not be too fancy.  Actually, everything is the opposite of fancy.  One thing that caught my eye (there are thousands of things that catch your eyes) is a metal ring on a string.  People were swinging that string toward a metal hook on the wall and trying to hook it.  I want to set that up on my back porch.  I also want to find some simple top activities similar to that which can sit out and people can try at their leisure.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 12:01:02 AM »

Sorry I missed kevinm over near Raleigh.  We never got much closer than Winston-Salem and Charlotte.  We did get to spend some good time in Savannah.  Man, that place is ghost crazy.  There were haunted tour traffic jams.  Haunted groups were running into other haunted groups.  My step-daughter was in a wedding and the church where the ceremony was held was on the ghost tour!  People were taking our picture as we walked in and as we were walking out.  The story is that a child had a ball roll away and they chased it only to fall down the steps and die.  I am thinking that there must be a top spinning ghost story in that town......like a child chasing a top into the street and getting hit by a horse drawn carriage or something like that.  We ate at one place where they hear all kinds of kids voices in the upper levels because it was once a makeshift hospital for kids with yellow fever.  Seems like over a hundred years ago some of them would have been playing with tops.

We need a good top spinning ghost story.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 12:04:40 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 10:26:05 PM »

I thought we were already working on one at Bullwinkle’s....

kevinm

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 12:08:07 PM »

I thought we were already working on one at Bullwinkle’s....

As old as the average age of the spin top community is, I would guess we will have some soon enough.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 07:14:35 PM »

Ha ha!!!  Yes, we are all getting older and I am one of those leading the pack.  But I still have some spinning things to accomplish.

By the way, I am hiding tops at Bullwinkle's and starting rumors about how (years ago) they may have gotten there.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 09:02:25 PM by the Earl of Whirl »