iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: "Ripsilver" What happens when Physicists are bored!!  (Read 5218 times)

physboy2357

"Ripsilver" What happens when Physicists are bored!!
« on: February 19, 2010, 09:08:50 PM »

Well, at the end of my day, I felt it was too early to go home, but to late to do anything productive (actually, this happens more than one would thing).  So...I threw tops with Bryan and John.  Then I noticed something...a ripcord fits quite nicely into a quicksilver....and a new top was formed...the "Ripsilver" (we're still bouncing names around).  With this single invention, our problem of passing tops between lefties and righties was over.  Luckily we found a camera to catch this momentous occasion on film.

(Sorry, as this was a rushed video job so we don't have cool theme music)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:19:56 PM by physboy2357 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: "Ripsilver" What happens when Physicists are bored!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 09:32:02 PM »

You guys are so clever!  Good work.

And team tops!!!  I think that is the future of our sport.  We can do more with that than other skill toys can (like yoyos).
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 09:46:15 PM »

Bored physicists are some of my favorite people  ;D

physboy2357

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 10:07:02 PM »

As you can see we are still working out the best way to pass the top.  It's difficult to get the tip horizontal enough so that the other person can get their string on it.  Not to mention, the extra weight takes some getting used to.

I would like to see teams added to the top contests.  I think it would add an interesting twist to things. :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:15:45 PM by physboy2357 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 10:27:10 PM »

Those are a great ideas, both the easy mod and the lefty to righty passing.

It is possible to pass a normal top between lefties and righties but one of them would have to drumbeat with the tip pointing in the opposite direction, for example, plus the precession would be the reverse to what he is accustomed. Your Ripsilver should be easier to pass (and seeing the direction of precession flip is cool.)

I agree that having team competitions would be lots of fun.

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:36:40 PM »

That looks like great fun. Rick Previtt and Mark Hayward are the only other top spinners that I know who are left handed and can regenerate. They will both be at Flatland too. We will have to give it a try.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:51:33 PM »

Two wraps of tape on the Ripcord holds it in place well but an additional wrap or two of tape after assembly was better.  The balance is hit or or miss when pushing it in and may require a couple re-installations to get a playable assembly.   

Seeing Aaron's assortment of damaged tops reminded me of Daveid's King Me top http://www.topspinning.com/toptalk/viewpost.php?post=5131 and Aaron just shoved his Ripcord in the Quicksilver to everyone's instant approval.  Their first pass (not on video) was remarkably satisfying.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »

I played my first game of pass the top with one of the Queen's students at Nationals--it was really fun! 
Erratic Wobbler

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 05:42:54 AM »

my head asplode

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 09:51:25 PM »

Another way to transfer tops - definitely not the same thing, but I remember years ago at the New York Gift show, I threw a boomerang, and was proudly enjoying it spinning in my hand, when an older gentleman in the crowd "wacked" my hand aside with the side of his hand, and instantly had my top spinning in his hand!  It was a very startling and totally unexpected move, and I was awestruck!  The man turned out to be from Italy, and was very into tops.  He came back the next day with a lovely wooden top that he had made and given to his grandson.  Through an interpreter he let me know that he would make his grandson a new one!  It had a large rounded brass hand turned tip - sort of like the big Taiwanese tops.
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 01:01:58 PM »

Excelent thing!
It`s he same than two persons, left and right handed, play diabolo and one is in the front of the another one.!
Now, the next step is that the same person, only one person play the top in both directions!!! ;)