iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Report from Worlds Cleveland 2019  (Read 19921 times)

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Report from Worlds Cleveland 2019
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2019, 05:34:14 PM »

Well, just to check in, I had a great time seeing everyone and hanging out at World's again this year!  I'm pretty sure I did more top stuff than yoyo stuff!  I wish I could make it to Miamisburg but the timing is too close (maybe I can plan better for next year).

Rob

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2019, 07:55:52 PM »

Cecil - some pretty good stuff going on in your neck of the woods! Excellent!

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2019, 09:55:14 AM »

Very entertaining!

Jose....you're the man!  I could watch you freestyle for hours....

Eli Hickerson

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2019, 12:45:29 PM »

If you go to yoyovideoarchive.com and click the link for spintops it takes you to the playlist on YouTube. My freestyle is on that playlist but the video is still private. It seems that they forgot to make it public.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2019, 01:47:59 PM »

If you go to yoyovideoarchive.com and click the link for spintops it takes you to the playlist on YouTube. My freestyle is on that playlist but the video is still private. It seems that they forgot to make it public.
I hope they get that straightened out.  I was very impressed with your freestyle, and really want to see it again.  Some tricks happen so quick when you're watching in real time, that it's hard to catch the details.  Too bad we don't have instant replays.  I have no hope of ever reaching your skill level, but there are always things to learn from watching someone else spin.  Thanks, for expanding the concept of what is possible with a spin top.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2019, 02:21:54 PM »

Very entertaining!

Jose....you're the man!  I could watch you freestyle for hours....
Thank you!

I noticed that it was private.  Can't wait to see yours again, it was impressive.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2019, 04:02:15 PM »

"It was impressive" Jose says.  Stuff like that is what makes this place so special!!!  I am so glad we can openly talk about things and still support one another.  That is very special in this sometimes crazy world.

Here are a couple more thoughts before I turn all my attention to this coming weekend and nationals:

-I am not a big gift giver but I have had the recent honor of sharing some of Don Olney's collection.  I am always floored by those who often go out of their way to share spinning gifts.  Big thanks to Marco Palma and the Cuper crew for their kind gifts to everyone.

-Cleveland has often gotten a lot of bad press but now it will forever be a special place for me as I look back on the two great world gatherings there.

-I miss Jose's two children.  They brought a lot of life to our lives in Cleveland and they are good top spinners, too! 

-I still am smiling about the accidental finding of the words "made in Canada" on a wooden yoyo and the pleasant look it brought Mark when I gave it to him.

-It is hard to find someone who thinks like me.  Jim Neff, thanks for your four suitcases of fun and thanks for being my friend.

-Wilson reminded me, once again, about the power of our spinning activity.  As we looked through his cell phone pictures I was stunned with how his trompo opened so many doors.  From meeting famous athletes to getting better seats at sporting events to spinning scenes around his many journeys.....it was impressive.

-What an honor it is to hang out and throw with world class spinners.  What an honor it is to be able to report to others about our activities.  Thanks for your thanks about the "top news."

-It is always fun to fall "on purpose" and see the reaction.  As I start to push 70 I notice that my fake falls are getting bigger reactions.  Thanks for the fun to all who were in the top room when I threw my little bike into a bunch of chairs and laid on the ground groaning.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 09:19:55 PM by ta0 »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Eli Hickerson

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2019, 06:45:06 PM »

I hope they get that straightened out.  I was very impressed with your freestyle, and really want to see it again.  Some tricks happen so quick when you're watching in real time, that it's hard to catch the details.  Too bad we don't have instant replays.  I have no hope of ever reaching your skill level, but there are always things to learn from watching someone else spin.  Thanks, for expanding the concept of what is possible with a spin top.

I appreciate it, we should have recorded them ourselves but I’m sure someone would have gotten all mad at us so oh well.

I noticed that it was private.  Can't wait to see yours again, it was impressive.

Thanks man, I was rewatching some of them and I must say you’re a braver man than me for doing knife stab with a big top. I’m always a little scared to try that one.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2019, 09:46:45 PM »

I just re-watched the freestyles just for fun without trying to analyze them, as a player/spectator not a judge. Thanks again to everybody who competed, it was great!
I'll comment after Eli's is available and I watch them all again.

YoyoSam had a nice variety of tops for sale. Talking to the owner he said this last year spintop sales picked up by about 30%.

Several people during the contest commented that they felt there was a good vibe around tops and tops seemed to be in the verge of something good . . .

Taka

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
    • SPINGEAR--Yoyo,Spintop,Kendama,Diabolo Store
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2019, 10:45:45 PM »

Jose play more than 4min for his freestyle?Is there any mistake by music person?or 4min is rule?Other player play just 3min,i think.

I do not want to make any argument for results,but did not realize until I saw video.
Yoyo,Koma(Kyoku,Chonkake,traditional,all kind),Spintop player.
Taka from Tokyo

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2019, 11:02:10 PM »

Jose play more than 4min for his freestyle?Is there any mistake by music person?or 4min is rule?Other player play just 3min,i think.

I do not want to make any argument for results,but did not realize until I saw video.

:o :o :o :o :o
Music guy mistake! :-[ :-[ :-[
I'm very sorry! This is incredible.  :'(
I'll talk with the other judges. As head judge I want to give my most sincere apologies to all the competitors, including Jose.

Taka

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
    • SPINGEAR--Yoyo,Spintop,Kendama,Diabolo Store
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2019, 11:37:40 PM »

I asked to them,now unlocked your freestyle!(just mistake)

Thanks man, I was rewatching some of them and I must say you’re a braver man than me for doing knife stab with a big top. I’m always a little scared to try that one.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 12:05:24 AM by ta0 »

Austen

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2019, 11:51:29 PM »

I asked to them,now unlocked your freestyle!(just mistake)

[/quote]
I can see the video but it is not allowed in the United States. Can you tell them to allow this ?

Austen

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2019, 12:08:06 AM »

:o :o :o :o :o
Music guy mistake! :-[ :-[ :-[
I'm very sorry! This is incredible.  :'(
I'll talk with the other judges. As head judge I want to give my most sincere apologies to all the competitors, including Jose.

Has there ever been a situation like this before? Is this a first for the spintop community?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up